Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 ACP crimp

Boolit Master

32 ACP crimp

I use the 32 S&W long Lee dies to load 32 ACP but I can't get the die to crimp. I use a 32 WSL expander die, which works fine, but how do you crimp the 32 ACP? Is a crimp even needed?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some factory .32 ACP rounds are crimped, but not all are. RCBS .32 ACP dies produce a well-formed, roll crimp, if desired.

Attachment 259634Attachment 259635Attachment 259642Attachment 259644

It isn't necessary to do so as long as your seating die removes all mouth flare and bullets are seated tightly enough that they do not "telescope" back into the case if you grasp a loaded round in the shell holder and press firmly against a bathroom scale, maintaining 25 pounds of pressure for three seconds. Measure cartridge OAL before and after the "push" test. Maximum of 0.005" "creep" is allowed.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-03-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I think the 32 ACP cases are too short for the S&W Long dies, and I don't see a Lee 32 ACP crimp die available. I've been loading and shooting the rounds for a year or so with no problems, but, for some reason (too much time on my hands?) I started paying more attention to these rounds. I just loaded up a few without expanding the case mouth so the neck tension is tighter. I'll try the bathroom scale test - never heard of it but it's a great idea.

I just ordered a 32 acp seating die (with taper crimp) from Midway.
    Last edited by Battis; 04-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I think the 32 ACP cases are too short for the S&W Long dies, and I don't see a Lee 32 ACP crimp die available. I've been loading and shooting the rounds for a year or so with no problems, but, for some reason (too much time on my hands?) I started paying more attention to these rounds. I just loaded up a few without expanding the case mouth so the neck tension is tighter. I'll try the bathroom scale test - never heard of it but it's a great idea.
    A push test is standard with military ammo. Early .32 ACP rounds had a deep knurl rolled into the case under the bullet base to prevent telescoping.

Attachment 259656
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I use an RCBS taper crimp die to good effect.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I use the Hornady dies for all my 32's and ACP and I am able to do a crimp on them .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Does the "push test" change with different calibers? Is the same amount of pressure used for, say, .45?

Does the "push test" change with different calibers? Is the same amount of pressure used for, say, .45?
    Push test for commercial .45 ACP is 40 pounds and this is adequate for handgun use. Military loads which are sealed with Black Lucas will normally withstand 65 pounds, which was the WW2 standard based upon needs for the Thompson SMG.

For 9mm NATO ammunition instead bullet extraction force is measured and must be not less than 200 Newtons or 44.94 lbs.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-03-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    If I didn't have OCD before, I have it now. I tested 7 of the 32 ACP rounds and 2 creeped inward too much. But, when I retested those two rounds, they didn't push in any further. So, basically, are the rounds that creep too much unsafe? What if they creep, then stop? Interesting test.
    I'm using the Savage pistol's barrel (removed from pistol) as a guide, and I'm finding that I should pay more attention to the case length so they headspace correctly.

If I didn't have OCD before, I have it now. I tested 7 of the 32 ACP rounds and 2 creeped inward too much. But, when I retested those two rounds, they didn't push in any further. So, basically, are the rounds that creep too much unsafe? What if they creep, then stop? Interesting test. I'm using the Savage pistol's barrel (removed from pistol) as a guide, and I'm finding that I should pay more attention to the case length so they headspace correctly.
    Purpose for the push test is because when bullets telescope deeper into the case, the increased seating depth increases load density and therefore pressure. I have not measured the effect in .32 ACP, but in M882 9mm NATO ammunition, breaking the Black Lucas sealant and seating the bullet only 0.03" deeper increased pressure from 38,000 to 62,000 psi, exceeding proof pressure, which is enough to destroy a pistol. The Speer manual contains specific warnings against this with respect to 9mm, which has been thoroughly documented. The .32 ACP less so, but in a tiny case used in blowback operated pistols, and loaded typically with fast-burning powders like Bullseye or TiteGroup it doesn't take much imagination to realize the consequences!

The .32 ACP is not a true rimless case, and headspaces on the semi-rim, rather than on the case mouth, so a heavier crimp is not going to be an issue in that respect.

In my .32 ACP reloads I seat bullets to the longest overall length which fits in the magazine box and which will "plunk" test and not impinge against the origin of rifling. Generally you want an overall cartridge length of 0.94" or longer so that cartridges are unable to shuffle in the magazine stack enough to cause "rimlock," the .32 ACP rim being 0.045" max thickness and max. cartridge OAL for FMJRN ammunition being 0.984" Using a flatnosed bullet like Accurate 31-084H a 0.945" OAL fits the magazine box length and profile nicely and it feeds in most pistols.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Great info. There's a whole other world in the details that I never know about.
    I ordered a Lee 32ACP seater that should be here on 4/22.

Boolit Master
    I found an old post on another forum where the 32ACP is discussed. The poster said that European 32ACP brass (factory loaded ammo) is thicker (S&B, Pvri Partizan, Fiocchi, and Geco), so European 32ACP bullets measure .309", while American brass (Winchester, Remington, Aguila as well as other non-European brands like PMC) is thinner and the bullets measure .312". I have four 32ACP pistols and I've been sizing the bullets to the smallest bore of the four (.309"), with all the brass. The poster also said that the Savage headspaces on the case mouth and not the semi-rim. I do know that if a case is slightly longer, the case rim will not seat properly in my Savage, which means I should trim the case and/or use a heavy crimp. I'm also going to take a closer look at the brass thickness and manufacturers.
    I'm going to cut a case in half and see where it headspaces.

Battis, I believe that if you delve deeply into the " case thickness" issue you will find that there is a whole lot of variation between manufacturer's specs as well as the differences between European standards and American standards. Notice I did not say ANSI standards because I am uncertain which US Mfgr's are at ANSI Minimums, Maximums, or in between. Like you I loaded 32 ACP for 4 pistols including an old Savage, 2 Kel Tecs, and a CZ 70. I found that the 32 ACP is fun to shoot but Not Easy to load for. Thanks to you and Outpost 75 I may someday reload for 32ACP again. It is the only caliber that I could not find the right balance between reliability, loading speed, safety, and product satisfaction. I was able to "Handload" ok but not "progressively reload" the caliber. Since time was of some importance a few years back I just decided to only use factory rounds. I had never seen a 32 ACP case knurled in the middle like Outpost 75 displayed in this thread but now I understand that the problem has been around for many moons. It makes me feel so much better.
    regards,

If you are going to load for .32 ACP in quantity for several pistols, I highly recommend standardizing on Starline brass unless you can hoard a suitable quantity of RWS, or Fiocchi, which weigh the same and are similarly constructed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I cut a case in half and sure enough, it headspaces on the semi-rim, though a full case, if too long, doesn't allow the rim to sit as it should. I trimmed 20 or so to the correct length, and they seat correctly. I also slugged the bore, something I probably did years ago but I forgot what it measured. It measures .312", which means the bullets that I was sizing to .309" are too small (but good for the Mauser, Meloir, and Ortgies). With the correct diameter bullet, I should get a better fit with the reloads. But the bottom line is that I can't get a crimp with the dies I have. I tried several - the .32 S&W, .32 WSL, .32-20 - I even tried an 8mm Lebel pistol die. I'll just wait for the .32ACP sizing die from Midway.

Boolit Master

This thread came along in good time for me.
    I'm about to load .32ACP for the first time in I can't remember when. Certainly not in this century. Have to check my RCBS die set to see if it has a taper crimp die/seater.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Just came in from checking out my RCBS 1990 .32ACP Die Set.
    It is a roll crimp seater.
    Sized & expanded a few cases, seated & crimped a few Lyman #311252 Cast of 50/50 #2/COWW and PC'd with Smokes J.D. Green. Sized .311dia
    Seated to roll crimp just over the front driving band. Feeds from the magazine without issue.
    Passed the plunk test.
    Pushed the seated/crimped bullet into the side of the bench as hard as I could with one thumb. Didn't move.
    Guess I'll load a couple boxes.
    Have no idea when I'll get to shoot them.
    I'm an "At Risk Person", My Wife won't let me out of the house.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Battis,

I’m in the same situation. I bought a set of RCBS dies on eBay for .32 long / .32 H&R Mag. I assumed that this set would deprime, size, expand, and crimp the 32 acp. Well you win some and you loose some. This set does most of those things, but it won’t crimp.

Tonight after dinner I was pondering this problem. I picked up a Lee .323” push through bullet sizing die, and held up a sized 32 acp case to it. I think that the tapered entrance to the sizer will put a nice taper crimp onto a 32 acp. I’ll report back tomorrow.

JM

Moderator Emeritus

My answer to your question, "Is a crimp even needed?" I believe "sum-thin" needs be done to loaded cases to insure a uniform grip ("uniform grip = uniform accuracy") on your bullets as well as keeping them from moving even a smidgeon in your case before firing; and, not in any way "getting in the way" vis the cartridge move from the magazine to barrel before firing.
    For me? I'm a 100% user of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The URL for Lee's listing is: https://leeprecision.com/carbide-fac...32-s-w-lg.html if you wish to check it out. This is what I use/do.... BEST wishes from one who believes, for .32acp crimping, one may not be able to do better than this product! (I also use one on .25acp, and .380 loads)
    geo

Boolit Master
    I read a review somewhere that said it didn't work on the 32ACP due to the case length, but if you have one, and it works, problem solved. I have the seating die on the way that should do the same thing. If the case headspaces on the semi-rim, then either a taper or rolled crimp will work.
    I've been shooting the guns I have for awhile now, with no problems (that I knew of) but the increased pressure caused by a creeping bullet is now a concern for me. But I always load on the low end of the powder range, and apparently the bullets I've been using are undersized (for the Savage at least), so pressure probably wasn't a problem, but accuracy hasn't been that good. Interesting caliber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast