Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Any vehicle detailers here? Plastic changed color.

Any vehicle detailers here? Plastic changed color.

I bought a snow mobile, and its in pristine condition. I brought it to the cottage in an open trailer. I didn't want mud to get all over it, so I put a massive tarp bag over it. ( Farmers get their seeds and grain in them, its black and white with massive handles.)
    With the wind, the tarp rubbed on the hood, as its a yellow color, you can see that there are spots that got greyed out.

I tried washing it, rubbed it with a plastic cleaner, put a buffing disk on a dremel with compound, put a fluffy disk for waxing on a drill...Nothing changed.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
    I see why they sell soft snowmobile tarps.

If the piece is solid colored plastic, you might be able to keep polishing a little more.
    The scuffing is basically a bunch of small scratches that you might be able to get through
    with more and finer scratches from polishing.

If it is a gel-coated fiberglass panel like a boat,
    you may not be able to do that without going all the way through the color coat.

I'd keep polishing,,,, very carefully.
    To see what it will look like after you think you're done polishing, run water over the area.
    It'll look like it would after you waxed it.

When you're done, wax it anyway.
    Polishing compounds, are more or less ultra fine sand paper grit, and don't leave any protection behind.
    With out the wax, it will dull out in the sun much sooner.

If it doesn't come out right---- the area might be a good spot for decal/stickers or custom paint stripes.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-03-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If you have any Meguair's Scratch X you might give it a try. I have seen it work pretty good on a number of things. It it works, then throw a coat of wax on paint.

Boolit Master

Are you sure its plastic? Sometimes it can be composit. When composite panels are made a gel coat is painted inside the mold then the composit material laid on the back.

You may have abraded through the gel or clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If the piece is solid colored plastic, you might be able to keep polishing a little more.
    The scuffing is basically a bunch of small scratches that you might be able to get through
    with more and finer scratches from polishing.

If it is a gel-coated fiberglass panel like a boat,
    you may not be able to do that without going all the way through the color coat.

I'd keep polishing,,,, very carefully.
    To see what it will look like after you think you're done polishing, run water over the area.
    It'll look like it would after you waxed it.

When you're done, wax it anyway.
    Polishing compounds, are more or less ultra fine sand paper grit, and don't leave any protection behind.
    With out the wax, it will dull out in the sun much sooner.

If it doesn't come out right---- the area might be a good spot for decal/stickers or custom paint stripes.

Sound like a good place for a America Flag. I have used a few
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    Bummer. I see some rub marks on the bumper by the shock and back by the hood strap in that pic, but not on the hood itself. You do appear to be missing the windshield. Is that a 98? I think they were polycarbonate and the same color throughout, so the gray should buff out - is the hood the same color on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Bummer. I see some rub marks on the bumper by the shock and back by the hood strap in that pic, but not on the hood itself. You do appear to be missing the windshield. Is that a 98? I think they were polycarbonate and the same color throughout, so the gray should buff out - is the hood the same color on the inside?
    Its plastic, I have the windshield also. I took it off because I was side hilling into trees and shrub. The sled is pretty much show room condition. You can't see the hood marks either from far, its just from super close.
    I also fixed the bumper scratches, buffed out the rust, primed and painted. Looks all new.
    Its a 2002 Tundra II R.

The Hood is yellow. All of it. Inside and out. its a decent thickness of plastic. Its for sure not fiber glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Feather View Post
    If you have any Meguair's Scratch X you might give it a try. I have seen it work pretty good on a number of things. It it works, then throw a coat of wax on paint.
    Il see what I could buy. I went to the store and saw some PlastX. It says its for clear plastic (im guessing headlights) Not sure if its good or not.

I have PlastX and don't think it will do what you need. Maybe as a follow up.

[QUOTE=Hawks Feather;4867913]I have PlastX and don't think it will do what you need. Maybe as a follow up.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I wont buy it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm no expert - but if the hood is plastic, I would guess that it is most likely injected molded - or assembled from several different injected molded parts - if it is, then the color should go all the way through the thickness of the material. Before doing a whole lot of polishing - try it on the underside of the hood in a remote place and see for sure if it does go deeper than the surface - such as a gel coat would be - but you say it is not fiberglass or built up gel coated. With the abuse these machines take - i.e. going through woods and getting scratched - it can't be that uncommon for owners to want to clean them up. Have you tried calling a dealer and seeing what they have to say?

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I'm no expert - but if the hood is plastic, I would guess that it is most likely injected molded - or assembled from several different injected molded parts - if it is, then the color should go all the way through the thickness of the material. Before doing a whole lot of polishing - try it on the underside of the hood in a remote place and see for sure if it does go deeper than the surface - such as a gel coat would be - but you say it is not fiberglass or built up gel coated. With the abuse these machines take - i.e. going through woods and getting scratched - it can't be that uncommon for owners to want to clean them up. Have you tried calling a dealer and seeing what they have to say?
    I didn't call anyone, but for sure they'll try to sell me an expensive bottle of something or another...

Judging from the OP's location he may not be in a rush to put a U.S. flag on his sled.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Judging from the OP's location he may not be in a rush to put a U.S. flag on his sled.
    Good one... I laughed

Boolit Master
    those hoods are a blended plastic irc think maybe smc they are repairable and they they are coloured right thru (worked at a ski doo dlr for about two years 02-04) those little sleds are real little work horses and give almost no trouble. Indigenous peoples north of us love them cause they will fit thru the door of a beaver or otter if you take the skis off, so they run them right up till no snow in the bush and then fly them out for service for next trapping season. you have got a real find there it will give lots of dependable service

Boolit Master
    you could probably wet sand with 1000 grt and then polish out wet sand marks on hood as for repair find a body shop supply and ask for smc repair kit

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    you could probably wet sand with 1000 grt and then polish out wet sand marks on hood as for repair find a body shop supply and ask for smc repair kit
    Ok il give it a try. Thanks. I got it abit late in the season but I really like it

Boolit Master

Something else to verify is that it isn’t painted or coated with the final color. Maybe check with the manufacturer? I’ve seen similar parts that were not the color of the internal base material.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I bought some Scratch doctor in the orange bottle. Seems to work. I put some on the hood and buff it with a fuzzy pad on my drill.