Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Powder coating rifle boolits

Boolit Master

Powder coating rifle boolits

I'm just getting into powder coating and I'm wondering how to
    coat rifle boolits with the shake and bake method. Obviously they won't stand up like pistol boolits.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Why not just look at the threads on powder coating?

Boolit Master

he means they wont stand on end for baking I believe. you can get silicon trays that they will sit in or you can use a mesh that is held up from the pan about 1/4 or 1/2 inch, you stand the boolits up in each hole in the mesh. you can also drill holes in a metal block, line it with nonstick foil and put the boolits nose down in the holes. there are lots of ways to do this and the search feature in the upper right corner can be your friend.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Plus one for the mesh!!!!! It works well. Just my opinion. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Shuz, I use a piece of 1/2 in hardware cloth. If not secured and it moves they will ALL tip over. I use small bbq trays with short sides that fit my convection oven pretty well and cut the hardware cloth to fit inside the sides (keeps them from sliding around) and bend a 'leg' down to stand up it up high enough to hold the boolits. With a sided tray you could also just bend it over the edge if right height.

When I switched to PCd boolits (weighed) for military bolt matches the rare, unexplained flyers pretty much went away. I also shoot PC in 300 BO, 7.62x40 WT (12 twist), 300 Ham'r (15 twist), 7.62x39, all in AR15 and SKS with good results. And other stuff. Gotta love it! I use mostly Smoke's clear.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I stand 30 cal rifle bullets up for coating on NS foil and bake. I install the checks first and wipe the powder off the bottom, seems to keep them from sliding around as much while moving them to the oven.

Boolit Master

I've been standing .30 cals with GCs installed ever since I started powder coating but I also work in fairly small batches...like 40 or so to the tray. For me, most difficult part is moving the loaded tray into the oven.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I stand 220gr 30 cal without a gas check on foil every time. its works you just gotta pretend like your balancing an egg on a toothpick while walking on the edge of a cliff.

Boolit Buddy
    Find the right size for your bullet and oven:

Silicone Mini Ice Cube Trays 2 Pack, 160 Small Ice Cube Molds Easy Release Ice Cube for Chilling Whiskey Cocktail, BPA Free Flexible Stackable and Durable Soft Mold Storage Containers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ34SMV..._.z-HEb5DKY85K

Edit: you can cut to fit a pan.

Boolit Master
    I am another who just stands them up. 180 and 210gn .30 cal bullets. Gas check and sized first. Shake and bake. Stand up on non stick Al foil in the pan. Only about 30 at a time. CAREFULLY put in oven and don't bump into the bench

One of these days I will try some laying down and see if they shoot worse or not. My goal is MOA at 600yd. I am close to MOA at 300 now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    i stand 220gr 30 cal without a gas check on foil every time. Its works you just gotta pretend like your balancing an egg on a toothpick while walking on the edge of a cliff.
    roflmao

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I use 1/4” fender washers.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I did the washer thing as well a few times. I also used an Al plate drilled for the base of the bullets. They both worked, but, after a couple of cycles I'd have to ream out the holes cause some PC would build up in them. Just more trouble than standing them up by themselves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I did the washer thing as well a few times. I also used an Al plate drilled for the base of the bullets. They both worked, but, after a couple of cycles I'd have to ream out the holes cause some PC would build up in them. Just more trouble than standing them up by themselves.
    I can't feature standing .25 cal boolits up and then entering them into the oven without knocking most of them over. Maybe yinz who can balance an egg on a toothpick can, but not this old phart!

Boolit Master
    Since I only use .30 cal bullets I can manage a few at a time

.25, especially something like the cruise missile, and I would not even try.