Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 88 triggers

Boolit Bub

Winchester 88 triggers

I have an '88 and recently I measured my rifle triggers and got the '88 at 8.35 lb while my lightest rifle trigger on my Vixen is at 1.85.
    I dont mind it that much per se but the difference is annoying. I always have to do a couple of dry fires with the Vixen before I actually load it to get used to it.

How are your '88:s, is mine high or low?
    Is it worth buying some good punches to disassemble and hone?

Boolit Master
    I'd Google "Winchester 88 trigger gunsmith". I suspect it isn't an easy or obvious fix.

Boolit Master
    I have an amazing gunsmith - who refused to work on my 284. Told me to order a trigger shoe, which gives one the "feel" of a lighter trigger pull.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

+3

IME, Winchester 88 triggers are virtually impossible to tune/adjust/refine like the triggers on most other guns are.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

No experience with the 88, but one of my brothers has a model 250(the rim fire lever action contemporary) and it’s trigger is terrible. If I remember right, the trigger travels with the lever when cycled.

No gunsmith in his right mind wants to tear one apart. I had a so-called gunsmith call me and want to borrow my Winchester 88, since he had one apart and couldn't get it back together. I asked him why he wanted mine, and he said he wanted to take it apart so he could see how to put the other one back together. I rather impolitely told him he was out of his mind if he thought I was going to let him tear my 88 apart too, and he hasn't spoken to me since. And mine also has a hard trigger pull. They are what they are.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Look up BLR trigger gunsmith. The Browning BLR's trigger travels with the lever, and as far as I know, there's only one gunsmith who is good with them. He also works on Remington semi-auto triggers. If he says no, I'm guessing the answer is live with it.

Boolit Buddy
    As I recall, you'll need slave pins to reassemble the trigger group. It's been a long time since i worked on an 88, but that's what I remember.

Slave pins are definitely required to put a Model 88 trigger group back together. I'm told it can't be done without them. There are some Youtube videos on the Model 88 available, if someone really wants to tear into one.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a 22 version of the 88 (a Model 150 carbine, same receiver as the 250) and had an old school gunsmith (now dead) tune the trigger. Pull wasn't changed much but let-off and feel was much better. No idea what he did other than something about welding on certain parts and regrinding. Done over 25 years ago.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, the '88 is configured as a short range rifle and at least it's a "safe" trigger with the heavy pull
    I think I'll raise the trigger pull on the vixen instead to lessen the difference somewhat.