Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts and recommendations....

Boolit Grand Master

Take a hard look at that 5" Lipseys model, that is the one I have. Not much difference between 4.2" and 5", but I really like the half lug barrel, front sight, and the grip is surprisingly good. That model is one of two guns I have ever considered buying two of because I liked them so much.

Boolit Master
    If you have enough room & time to share with it a , 4 legged alarm system could give you and the wife advance warning of a intruder .

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    keep in mind many states have laws that require guns to be locked up if underage kids are in the home, if you get cought cps could take the kids, I know its a big "if" but just figured to bring it up. maybe a shokwave type shotgun in 20 guage, or even 410.
    I believe rancher1913's post (#9) is a very important point to keep in mind; adding, toallmy's (#22) suggestion re getting a barking at intruder's critter.
    I -- just me -- still profess an unopened spray can of Wasp & Hornet Spray next to each door is not a bad idea. Supplement it, perhaps, with a short revolver with shot-gun loads -- a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special comes to mind. The idea is to be proactive with the wasp spray -- facts indeed show there have always been too many "oops!" where the perp was a family member, innocent person in distress seeking help, and/or similar. In my jurisdiction there are rules against mace and pepper sprays, too.
    Hence -- at the sound of a possible intruder, the wasp spray might deter them. If he or she assaults -- then, the .44 shot-shell response. A wise old-timer I knew used to regularly voice that old adage that it is better to hit someone with a .22 short, than miss with a .44 mag... There is wisdom in this, imho.
    I pray that any sort of invasion will never happen -- but, these are some of my "2-cent" thoughts...
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I believe rancher1913's post (#9) is a very important point to keep in mind; adding, toallmy's (#22) suggestion re getting a barking at intruder's critter.
    I -- just me -- still profess an unopened spray can of Wasp & Hornet Spray next to each door is not a bad idea. Supplement it, perhaps, with a short revolver with shot-gun loads -- a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special comes to mind. The idea is to be proactive with the wasp spray -- facts indeed show there have always been too many "oops!" where the perp was a family member, innocent person in distress seeking help, and/or similar. In my jurisdiction there are rules against mace and pepper sprays, too.
    Hence -- at the sound of a possible intruder, the wasp spray might deter them. If he or she assaults -- then, the .44 shot-shell response. A wise old-timer I knew used to regularly voice that old adage that it is better to hit someone with a .22 short, than miss with a .44 mag... There is wisdom in this, imho.
    I pray that any sort of invasion will never happen -- but, these are some of my "2-cent" thoughts...
    geo
    Great point about the Wasp spray.

I had an internet friend who lived in Britain. He husband was a policeman and she was worried about being attacked when he was on his shift. Guns are not easy to get there...so I told her about the Wasp Spray and to have a baseball (likely a cricket) bat (LOL) to address any intruder after a good soaking with the spray.

I think shooting someone after the wasp spray might get you in trouble...but...an elderly lady might get a pass.
    Don Verna

USMC 77, USRA 79

i keep guns all over the house... there is a 410 loaded with number 8 shot to discourage stray dogs, and my trusty 32 win special next to it to encourage stray bears to visit my freezer... i have had my entire metal door ripped up and off by a blackie so there are guns near every door for quick access... you never know when food will present itself. with spring comming, and no fish in the rivers yet, its only a matter of time before we get "visits" from our snoopy neighbors...

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    If you have enough room & time to share with it a , 4 legged alarm system could give you and the wife advance warning of a intruder .
    Yep....we got that too. 110lbs of Lab/Dane mix named Leroy. He's excellent at his job, and since tearing his dog equivalent of an ACL, he's also decided he's an inside dog. We don't mind....he's a good boy. He can hear cars coming before they hit the top of the driveway....which gives us 10-12 seconds to decide friend or foe. Probably has a lot to do with my complacency...we're pretty hard to sneak up on.

Not sure what he would do with an intruder on foot.....we've never had anyway 'walk' up on us??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Mossberg shotguns are cheaper, more effective, and can be strategically stashed. Same goes for larger handguns that are easier to shoot well.

As nice as the idea of a small handgun constantly on your person is, the reality is that when you're padding around the house in your P.J.'s and bunny slippers, you're unlikely to pocket it, strap it on, etc...

In that role, however, I like the small polymer frame .380's like the Glock 42 that can be put in a pocket holster, slipped in the pocket of your flannel jammies and not weigh down that pair of pants that's held up around your waist with a strip of flimsy elastic.

That little gun's mission in life is to get you to the shotgun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Thanks or all the input guys...… Lots of good stuff to think about. We have many layers of defense, and I feel pretty reasonable about our setup. Just, as I said....the wife's not going to EDC at home so just looking to fill that gap, particularly in one end of the house, as the bedroom end is pretty well stocked with easily accessible options.

My thoughts are....if it's an instant threat (someone approaches on foot and Leroy doesn't do his job) something she can get to VERY quickly if in the kitchen or dining room. If it's an announced threat (Leroy does his job!) it's something she can grab to get to the safe (easily accessible) or the other end of the house where she has many good choices.

I really think I'm liking the GP100 for this particular purpose.

As for an upgraded carry piece for her (she will purse carry out of the home, with a purse/holster designed for this purpose), I'm leaning toward the LCR in 327FM or the S&W 642 airweight. Have a buddy with the 642, so we'll able to test drive that one.

It's nice to have time to re-assess and make improvements in our plan.

Appreciate it, guys!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me tell you one thing: your security is only as good or bad as your front door. And due (or thanks, up to you) to the building codes, invented by corrupt, idiot scumbags, doors in North American houses open into the inside. Guess why? Right! To facilitate the entry by police and firefighters. In the less civilized, 3d world doors open onto the outside, to facilitate the exit of the occupants in case of fire. But I digress!
    Because doors open into the inside, and because door frames are made as economical as possible, kicking in the door is easy even for a young teenager. The frame will split, or the actual 2x4 around the perimeter of the door itself will split either at the lock of at the hinges. The rest of the standard steel-clad entry door is construction foam. I can kick in any standard door in North America, without breaking a sweat.
    The door with a glass panel is even easier to kick in, since glass is only held in place by about 20 wood screws in the plastic frame, or less.

Next, think about your kitchen sliding door. It consists of two huge panels of glass, in most modern homes. One only needs to smash them with a brick or flowerpot and then they could walk right in.

There are ways to fortify your glass around the house. Window film made by 3M and other companies makes passing through the panels by breaking them almost impossible until a considerable effort is taken to break through the glass. Even if glass is fortified, the sliding door can be pried open with relative ease because it locks only on one latch which is pretty weak. There are door stoppers, but even a 2x2 laid across the kitchen window works fine. But the front door will still be your weakest point.

PS: And don't get me started about the window bars! Anyone with even an FWD truck and a hitch could take them off, without much effort. Our homes had been designed to be as cheap as it can get and as easy to storm as it can get. We had been betrayed and herded for slaughter a long time ago. Comparing that what we live in with Europe makes me cringe.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-04-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

This is from first hand experience ... Two different armed robberies . I was shot in the first , the bad guy was shot in the second .
    If the gun isn't on your person , pants pocket or belt holster , it's not going to keep you safe .
    Robbery #1 , gun in desk drawer . Robbery #2, gun in front pants pocket .
    Notice the location of the gun made a huge difference in the outcomes .
    Just my experience ... but you asked .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12