RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and recommendations....

Thoughts and recommendations....

Being cooped up in the house for a while now....wife and I got into a discussion about how well we're set up for home defense. One of the glaring discoveries we made was that our 'daytime' security is much lacking, in that we don't keep readily accessible firearms in/near the kitchen and dining room, where we spend much of our days during 'daytime.' We'd have to cross the living room to reach the back of the house where we all much better prepared. Dumb, I know. Please don't judge!

I'd like to correct that... So I'm thinking at least one (probably two) of a simple, hammerless DA revolver that the wife can easily handle, and that I can work my 13yo daughter toward being comfortable/competent as well.

I think I like the Ruger LCR...seems like it would meet my needs. And I'm thinking about 327 Fed Mag. I don't mind the idea of having 6 as opposed to 5, and from what I've read the 327 in the LCR is pretty manageable.

Anyone have first hand experience they'd be willing to share?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    We all have different ideas on what we would choose but for me I would rather have a steel or heavier gun than the LCR my wife CCs one they are great for that , but if the the primary purpose is home defense I would choose a gun that is easier to shoot well . Revolvers are a great choice in my opinion but a 3 to 4" is much easier to hit with and more fun at the range for new shooters k frame smith or sp101 or gp100 if you are not going to CC it all the advantages go to a more controllable heavier platform than the the ultra lite snub guns.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Easily accessible means on your person, all the time, NOT stashed in a drawer or laid on a shelf where an intruder can find it and use it against you. I carry a .38 snub in a pocket holster in the house. A stainless S&W Centennial has a lanyard loop installed in the butt so that I can wear it around my neck if in sweats, PJs or otherwise without pockets. The .327 with full loads is probably effective enough, but a bit noisy in the house without ear protection. Wadcutters in my pocket rocket are bad enough!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Some gun is better than no gun, and some gun is better than which gun. Shouldn't be difficult to conceal one but have it handy in the kitchen, but the dining room may be more of a challenge. Maybe attached beneath the table?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don’t own the gun now it is hard to see being able to buy it at this time

100 percent agree guns should be worn rather than having to run to get them. This means a handgun on your person as the minimum requirement. As the events unfold running across the house to get something is a poor substitute for having something on you.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    We all have different ideas on what we would choose but for me I would rather have a steel or heavier gun than the LCR my wife CCs one they are great for that , but if the the primary purpose is home defense I would choose a gun that is easier to shoot well . Revolvers are a great choice in my opinion but a 3 to 4" is much easier to hit with and more fun at the range for new shooters k frame smith or sp101 or gp100 if you are not going to CC it all the advantages go to a more controllable heavier platform than the the ultra lite snub guns.
    Thanks for this....just the kind of input I was hoping for. Maybe I'm trying to do too much with one gun, in that I was thinking about the LCR as it would also be a good CC choice for the wife. You do make excellent points about the longer barrel being easier to shoot well.

Dangit…..do I have to buy TWO new guns now??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Thanks for this....just the kind of input I was hoping for. Maybe I'm trying to do too much with one gun, in that I was thinking about the LCR as it would also be a good CC choice for the wife. You do make excellent points about the longer barrel being easier to shoot well.

Ah yes TWO is a good solution
    I do agree with outpost I always have one on my person but there is no way I will ever get my wife to do that.
    When bad things happen they often happen really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Ah yes TWO is a good solution
    I do agree with outpost I always have one on my person but there is no way I will ever get my wife to do that.
    When bad things happen they often happen really fast.
    Pretty much sums up the situation. I don't always carry at home....in fact, I've gotten pretty complacent about it. Country life lulling me into security I guess. But that's a whole other discussion. This is more about the wife, who like yours, in not likely to be comfortable with EDC around the house.

And I agree with the earlier post....something is better than nothing. That's pretty much where I'm at.

What I'm looking for is specific feedback on the 327 FM in regards to recoil, etc.

Thanks, all! I do appreciate all the feedback!!

Boolit Master

keep in mind many states have laws that require guns to be locked up if underage kids are in the home, if you get cought cps could take the kids, I know its a big "if" but just figured to bring it up. maybe a shokwave type shotgun in 20 guage, or even 410.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .327 in a snub has recoil similar to standard velocity .38 Special fired in a similarly sized gun, but is VERY much louder.

Tractor Supply has garden aprons with pockets which would support an Airweight J-frame effortlessly. If SWMBO does not have a green thumb they have a BBQ version decorated with kitchen implements instead of flowers and vegetables. Everyone needs a BBQ Gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Everyone needs a BBQ Gun.

There's a t-shirt or bumper sticker here somewhere...…

Love it!

Boolit Master
    Pretty much sums up the situation. I don't always carry at home....in fact, I've gotten pretty complacent about it. Country life lulling me into security I guess. But that's a whole other discussion. This is more about the wife, who like yours, in not likely to be comfortable with EDC around the house.

And I agree with the earlier post....something is better than nothing. That's pretty much where I'm at.

What I'm looking for is specific feedback on the 327 FM in regards to recoil, etc.

Thanks, all! I do appreciate all the feedback!!
    I don't have a sub 327 but I have a 4.2" sp101 and a 4.5" single seven . With 327 they have muzzle blast and noise like a .357 or worse with a bit less recoil but of course you can load them anyway you want.
    They are fun to shoot but most of what I shoot are 800 to 1100 FPS ,
    I much prefer shooting sub sonic ammo.
    They will shoot 100 to 115gn bullets at speeds similar to what a .357 shoots 125s .

Boolit Master
    I’m sitting here on my couch with a 327 LCR in my pocket.
    I’ve got it loaded with 100 gr XTPs over a case full of 9450. Gets north of 1300 FPS.
    It’s a wicked snubby! Yes it’s LOUD! Lots of muzzle blast! Stops in the fourth water jug after shredding the first, ripping the second, rupturing the third and penetrating to the back side of the fourth. The DA only trigger is surprisingly good and easy to hit with. I highly recommend it IF you reload. Otherwise, go 38.

I do have a Smith 638 aluminum frame and a steel frame 49. On days I feel old school, I’ll carry either of those with soft cast full 150 grain wadcutters over a max charge of AA5 for 900 FPS.

I’ll add that after dark a good Sure Fire flashlight goes in the other pocket.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I get up in the morning, think about the day's activities, then strap on the appropriate side arm (have for over a decade now). OWB for me 99% of the time. Right hip, about 4 o'clock position. All day long, evenings too. Wife refuses currently, to carry so there's a Smith 637 on a shelf in the kitchen...this gun gets locked up back when grand-children were still visiting. We're over 70, wife and I, and are totally sequestered here on the farm. Son delivers groceries when called upon. HTH's and of course, YMMv, stay safe and healthy, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    I am sitting here in rural northern Michigan carrying a Glock 22. I barely notice it.
    There is a Kahr on the night stand...soon to be joined by a 5” 686+...the fiancé loves the 686
    Backing them up are two Mossberg 12ga 500’s, and an AR 5.56.
    By the front door sits a .22 for critter control and it will be paired with an 1894 in .357...

If you have a dog...you will never be surprised. When the dog barks...get your short barrel shotgun and head to the door. Your friends will know what to expect....strangers will be a tad uncomfortable...too bad

Most kids or grandkids necessitate having to carry on your body...and a small safe at night.
    Don Verna

You need THREE. Two to stash in the refrigerator and under the dining room table and one to always have on your person. Look at the Bersa Thunderer .380. A very much over looked, very reliable and shootable pistol that does not break the bank.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Being cooped up in the house for a while now....wife and I got into a discussion about how well we're set up for home defense. One of the glaring discoveries we made was that our 'daytime' security is much lacking, in that we don't keep readily accessible firearms in/near the kitchen and dining room, where we spend much of our days during 'daytime.' We'd have to cross the living room to reach the back of the house where we all much better prepared. Dumb, I know. Please don't judge!

I'd like to correct that... So I'm thinking at least one (probably two) of a simple, hammerless DA revolver that the wife can easily handle, and that I can work my 13yo daughter toward being comfortable/competent as well.

I think I like the Ruger LCR...seems like it would meet my needs. And I'm thinking about 327 Fed Mag. I don't mind the idea of having 6 as opposed to 5, and from what I've read the 327 in the LCR is pretty manageable.

Anyone have first hand experience they'd be willing to share?
    I own the entire range in 327 federal. LCR, SP101, and GP100. When I wear jeans, I'm carrying OWB every time. In that roll I take the SP101. I went as far as to do a custom 3" with fully adjustable sights. I do not carry at work, I'm a technician, and rolling on the floor all day is no place for anything. I can't even keep my wallet in my pockets. For that I carry my LCR in the truck most days, and pocket carry it when not working. The GP100 offers nothing substantial over the SP101 for defensive purposes, but I carry it just because once in a while.

I'll try to touch some comparisons between the LCR and SP101. For defensive use, the double action trigger is most important. The LCR is phenomenal in this regard. Great DA trigger. The SP101 has a better DA trigger than some J frames, but is still heavy. I've never used the LCRX, so I can't speak on that regard, but the SA trigger on both should be acceptable. My SP101 SA trigger is 4-5 pounds and breaks clean. The sights on both are not great. The LCR is better than the fixed sight SP101 though with its black finish. I really wish the LCR could be had with those low profile Novak sights. What I did for the SP101 is buy the 4.2" model, and cut the barrel to 3", and had a front sight base installed. The SP101 with grooved frame for a rear sight is poor. For handling, the LCR has one drawback, and that is that the ejector rod is short. You need to provide a good slap to eject the cases. The SP101 is far less fussy, with a much longer ejector. I like the LCR grips and still use the originals. I did not like the SP101 grips. There are a few acceptable aftermarket options out there. The LCR in 327 federal is manageable as far as shooting. It is not a gun I would like to shoot 200 rounds at a time with, but a box of 50 does not leave your hand stinging either, especially with lower power ammo. The SP101 is even better. That weight soaks up recoil. Speaking of weight, the LCR is 17 ounces, the SP101 is 27. The LCR is great in the pocket, no problem at all. I would not want to carry an SP101 all day in the pocket. Both work great on the hip. I don't like either IWB, but that is personal preference. The width of both is more similar that one would think. The SP101 is wider, but only by maybe 1/16", maybe less.

I hope that helps compare and contrast the LCR. One thing that sticks out is you make it sound like carrying is not that much of a concern. If all you want is something for in the house, and you don't want a long gun, then I would have to steer you towards the GP100 in either 327 federal 7 shot, or 357 magnum 6 shot. There is even a 357 magnum 7 shot.

I just realized there's not a gun in the guest bathroom.....fixed it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I just realized there's not a gun in the guest bathroom.....fixed it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I do, actually...have one there. It's just a long way from the kitchen/dining room. :P

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I own the entire range in 327 federal. LCR, SP101, and GP100. When I wear jeans, I'm carrying OWB every time. In that roll I take the SP101. I went as far as to do a custom 3" with fully adjustable sights. I do not carry at work, I'm a technician, and rolling on the floor all day is no place for anything. I can't even keep my wallet in my pockets. For that I carry my LCR in the truck most days, and pocket carry it when not working. The GP100 offers nothing substantial over the SP101 for defensive purposes, but I carry it just because once in a while.

I'll try to touch some comparisons between the LCR and SP101. For defensive use, the double action trigger is most important. The LCR is phenomenal in this regard. Great DA trigger. The SP101 has a better DA trigger than some J frames, but is still heavy. I've never used the LCRX, so I can't speak on that regard, but the SA trigger on both should be acceptable. My SP101 SA trigger is 4-5 pounds and breaks clean. The sights on both are not great. The LCR is better than the fixed sight SP101 though with its black finish. I really wish the LCR could be had with those low profile Novak sights. What I did for the SP101 is buy the 4.2" model, and cut the barrel to 3", and had a front sight base installed. The SP101 with grooved frame for a rear sight is poor. For handling, the LCR has one drawback, and that is that the ejector rod is short. You need to provide a good slap to eject the cases. The SP101 is far less fussy, with a much longer ejector. I like the LCR grips and still use the originals. I did not like the SP101 grips. There are a few acceptable aftermarket options out there. The LCR in 327 federal is manageable as far as shooting. It is not a gun I would like to shoot 200 rounds at a time with, but a box of 50 does not leave your hand stinging either, especially with lower power ammo. The SP101 is even better. That weight soaks up recoil. Speaking of weight, the LCR is 17 ounces, the SP101 is 27. The LCR is great in the pocket, no problem at all. I would not want to carry an SP101 all day in the pocket. Both work great on the hip. I don't like either IWB, but that is personal preference. The width of both is more similar that one would think. The SP101 is wider, but only by maybe 1/16", maybe less.

I hope that helps compare and contrast the LCR. One thing that sticks out is you make it sound like carrying is not that much of a concern. If all you want is something for in the house, and you don't want a long gun, then I would have to steer you towards the GP100 in either 327 federal 7 shot, or 357 magnum 6 shot. There is even a 357 magnum 7 shot.
    For the intended use...I'm now very much leaning toward the GP100 in 327 with a 4" barrel. Wife's carry gun will be a different critter. This has been a good discussion and I appreciate all the input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast