Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: New digital scale, impressed

Boolit Master

New digital scale, impressed

So I got a new inexpensive digital scale, probably found the recommendations on this forum.
    Homgeek CX-128, 50g scale.

Finally got a chance to use it today and I am impressed, especially for under $20.

Scale seems accurate with included check weight and agrees with my other scale.
    It seems to stay on for a long time, but i think it did finally power itself off, I need to verify that.

It does not drift, left it on the bench for an hour or two of reloading, reading remained zeroed, pull my tray off, read correct, put tray back on and back to zero.

Not affected by vibration on the bench, reading didn’t change while using press.

I run Dillon powder measures so no idea how sensitive it is for trickling powder.

Also no idea on temperature sensitivity.
    One of the issues with my other scale is temperature stability, on cold days and especially changing temps like when heating the garage.
    This combined with a short auto off time made it frustrating to use in colder weather.

I don’t know how long it will last, but so far I am extremely impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'd be interested to see if it provides repeatable readings across a spectrum of check weights. Have you tried that by chance, other than the provided check weight.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Another thing to watch/check for is weight variances as the battery gets weaker. Sometimes the weight readings will change as the battery loses voltage over time.
    This would be a bad deal for powder charges.

Boolit Master
    No other check weights, sorry.
    Not even my specially marked coins, they decided to go into hiding during my cleanup.

US coins aren’t perfect, but have been close enough for my use.

Ok I found a couple of dimes, not perfect but...
    1992- 2.259gm,
    2017 - 2.279gm
    A dime should weigh 2.268gm.

Both weights are repeatable multiple times and with cleaned dimes.

I find older coins to weigh a little light from wear, unless they are dirty.

A larger sample size would be more useful.

As would proper check weights in my usable range, a dime is ~35gn, most of my charges are in the 3-7gn range.

Still, Close enough for my use, I hope.

And I am not sure I would trust cheap Chinese check weights in this range much more without a way to verify them.
    Then back to the chicken and egg syndrome, without expensive precision calibrated equipment what do you trust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Another thing to watch/check for is weight variances as the battery gets weaker. Sometimes the weight readings will change as the battery loses voltage over time.
    This would be a bad deal for powder charges.
    That is why my ‘precision powder tray’ is marked.
    After tareing the scale I check the weight of my ‘precision powder tray’.
    It won’t tell me absolute accuracy, but will verify repeatability.

Precision tray- cap off of old powder bottle.
    Marked- scribbled in barely legible sharpie

Boolit Master
    And I do check my batteries occasionally.
    But my fluke multimeter hasn’t been calibrated since it left the factory 20 years ago.
    Not sure I can trust it either.

As Poo would say, ‘Oh bother’.

But I do plan on replacing the cheap Chinese batteries with slightly more expensive Chinese batteries tomorrow when I can grab some from home, normally I just toss the included batteries first thing, they never last.

Moderator Emeritus

Mine is still packed away but I remember it being Acculabs. Believe it was laboratory grade but going from memory.

Boolit Master
    I had a Ohaus three beam lab scale at one time (garage sale, $10) that I used to verify other scales. Every now and then I'd take it into work and verify it against calibrated ones. Never did get out of whack. And the other scales at home never changed either, except for one that got dropped and the plate bent.

1/10 gn is not that big a deal for scales. It's when you get to 1/100gn and less you have to be more diligent. Usually a 'hooded' scale is needed to keep air drafts from getting to the scale. Used to measure strands of copper wire with one of those in a previous job.

PS it is a good idea to use your check weight each time you start, just to make sure the batteries are ok and that nothing has lodged up under the sensor plate.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the same one from Amazon a few weeks ago & it would not calibrate. Based on the reviews I read, if you get one that calibrates they are good to go. Unfortunately I got a dud.

Looked good to me, I have one in my cart at Amazon. Sleeping on it, waiting for others comments.

But I think I will pull the trigger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    No other check weights, sorry.
    Not even my specially marked coins, they decided to go into hiding during my cleanup.

US coins aren’t perfect, but have been close enough for my use.

Ok I found a couple of dimes, not perfect but...
    1992- 2.259gm,
    2017 - 2.279gm
    A dime should weigh 2.268gm.

Both weights are repeatable multiple times and with cleaned dimes.

I find older coins to weigh a little light from wear, unless they are dirty.

A larger sample size would be more useful.

As would proper check weights in my usable range, a dime is ~35gn, most of my charges are in the 3-7gn range.

Still, Close enough for my use, I hope.

And I am not sure I would trust cheap Chinese check weights in this range much more without a way to verify them.
    Then back to the chicken and egg syndrome, without expensive precision calibrated equipment what do you trust.

FWIW: Nickle's make a pretty good check weight a 5 grams each and quite consistent.