Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: my military

Boolit Master

my military

These are the military rifles I have kept. I shoot them on a regular basis mostly with lead cast.

Attachment 259561
    top....Remington Rolling Block #5....7x57....I bought this in early 1960's for $7.00 at a second hand store. Shooting from a rest I can usually keep all the rounds within the size of a gallon paint can at 100 yds.
    next...1895 Mauser 7x57 Deutsche und Munitionsfabriken-Berlin...all matching serial number even the ram-rod. I have the original iron sights but have found that I can shoot this rifle more accurately with a scope. The rifle has beautiful wood to metal fit. The action is very smooth. This is really a nice shooter. I took out a coyote at 100 yds using lead cast using this rifle

Attachment 259562
    #4 Mark 1....303 British....American Manufacture...all matching serial numbers
    #1 Mark 3....303 British....Australian Manufacture...all matching serial numbers
    Of the two I find that I can shoot the #1 Mark 3 more accurately.
    Last edited by atr; 04-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Nice collection. Do you shoot cast in the SMLE's? I favour the earlier models, mine 1900 BSA, 1901 Sparkbrook, 1902 Enfield, different trigger (single stage) which can be tuned to a crisp letoff.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Yes I do shoot the 303's with cast. The older 303, the one made in Australia, is also a single stage trigger. I find a 180 gr RN cast to be an excellent round.

You have a nice looking collection yourself !

atr

I think you kept some good ones, atr. I don't know how many times I've played the mental game, "Now if I could only keep (fill in the number, one, three, five, ten) of my rifles, which would they be. I certain that at least one of them would be a No.1 Mk. III. If the number happens to be four, then you've done well as you're only dealing with two cartridges.

Boolit Master

I have had others but these are my "keepers"
    They are NOT safe queens; they all get time at the range or in the field

The single stage triggers on older Lee Enfields can be swapped out for SMLE 2-stage triggers. A much safer option.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Nice collection. Do you shoot cast in the SMLE's? I favour the earlier models, mine 1900 BSA, 1901 Sparkbrook, 1902 Enfield, different trigger (single stage) which can be tuned to a crisp letoff.

That is a sweet collection you have.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Enfields all Winchester P14 and M17 some fitted with the Parker-Hale 5B range sights!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I like your enfield's I had a eddystone once like a dummy i sold it. i'm turning green here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    These are the military rifles I have kept. I shoot them on a regular basis mostly with lead cast.

Attachment 259561
    top....Remington Rolling Block #5....7x57....I bought this in early 1960's for $7.00 at a second hand store. Shooting from a rest I can usually keep all the rounds within the size of a gallon paint can at 100 yds.
    next...1895 Mauser 7x57 Deutsche und Munitionsfabriken-Berlin...all matching serial number even the ram-rod. I have the original iron sights but have found that I can shoot this rifle more accurately with a scope. The rifle has beautiful wood to metal fit. The action is very smooth. This is really a nice shooter. I took out a coyote at 100 yds using lead cast using this rifle

Attachment 259562
    #4 Mark 1....303 British....American Manufacture...all matching serial numbers
    #1 Mark 3....303 British....Australian Manufacture...all matching serial numbers
    Of the two I find that I can shoot the #1 Mark 3 more accurately.
    atr,

Nice collection. I bought a 7x57MM Rolling Block in 1960 from Ye Olde Hunter for $9.50. Please share your 7mm load data. I currently cast the Lyman #287308 (168 grain RN) for my bolt 7mm M1916 carbines. Do you have a reciepe for this boolit?

Thanks.

Adam

Boolit Master

I too have a roller in 7mm. Bought in the '80'3 for a fortune. It's about dead mint. I would like to hear your load data. I have not shot mine much as the firing pin went. That has been replaced. The chamber is oversized. thanks

Boolit Master
    atr,

Second Request: Please share your 7mm Rolling Block load data?

Adam

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Enfields all Winchester P14 and M17 some fitted with the Parker-Hale 5B range sights!

Beautiful collection there

Boolit Master
    Only MILSURP I kept is a CMP 1903A3 with a replacement CMP C stock. Shoot it a lot with NOE 311291, accurate and pleasant to shoot. Had several other A3's, A4 forgeries, an 03, Garand, and a Krag sporter, all were fun to shoot but were sold, except the Garand, that went to my son.

Attachment 262234
    Here are some of mine when I reconfigured my safe’s long-gun storage. My 5-37 1922M2 Springfield, an honest 1899 Constabulary/school Krag, two 1903 sporterized remilitarized Springfields [the short ones from 1930 and a Mk1 from 1919] and a cute Martini Cadet. The one on top is my nice 1896 Krag rifle. The lever is my cas rifle, an 1894 marlin .45 colt.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 06-14-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 262355

I kinda have a soft spot for old military

Nice. A very soft spot it would appear.