Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for a good subsonic load for 150-168 gr in 300BO

Boolit Master

Looking for a good subsonic load for 150-168 gr in 300BO

Does anyone have a good subsonic load, for J words in the 150-168gr range? I have found limited info on this, and it all points to Trailboss. All replies appreciated.

I don't have any loads but If trail boss works there's no reason that reduced loads using fast pistol powders would work just as well
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

you need to give some more details, is it for a bolt gun, ar15 with pistol gas system, or ar15 with carbine system. i use heavier for subs, 230 and up for bolt and ar with pistol system

If AR, tough to do. Single shot with pistol powder will work. I found 8 gr a2400 to cycle 170 gr cast when gas is turned down for fast 150gr. Runs 13-1400 fps in pistol gas pistol. 5-6gr 231/hp38 should work a bolt gun fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I will be running this mostly in a bolt gun, but would like to run it in AR;s with pistol gas length.

i mainly run heavies, i messed with 147g M80 FMJs but they werent reliable in the AR, they run fine super but not sub.

I use a 247g NOE FN with 8.0g H110, it cycles my 10.5" with pistol gas system and locks back on last round, ran 100's of these and have run them thru my rem 700 AAC SD 16" , they are still sub thru that also. i have run the 230 lee and 208 amax with that same charge and it works 100% too

7 grains of Trail Boss, or 5 grains of Red Dot with the Berry Plated 150, 30-30 bullet is what I use in a Ruger American Ranch Rifle, 16inch barrel. Both give 990-1000fps, and are very accurate out to fifty yards.

I do not think you can make a 150-168 grain subsonic run in an AR without more modifications to the gun than would be desired.

Problem in AR is getting enough volume/pressure from gas. I went to cfe pistol (slowest 'pistol' powder that would burn well) for 145 & 170 gr cast. 9 gr would cycle. 5gr gave a 'pop' noise but wouldn't cycle even with gas port all the way open. A2400 cycles good but not sub. 7 1/2gr A2400 almost cycled with 170gr (gas is set for HV supers and I didn't want to change it) - might work for you.
    Whatever!

Banned

like was said getting a bullet that light to run a 100 percent in a 300 ar is going to be tough if not impossible. Bolt? No problem. Heck I shoot 130 rcbs spizer gas checks pc coated with 4.5 grains of unique in my ruger American. Very accurate, quiet and cheap.