RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: New Round Here

Boolit Buddy

New Round Here

Hey Guys & Gals, just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself. I have been lurking for a bit and soaking up a ton of info. I started reloading a couple months ago and have started collecting stuff to begin casting. I have a couple molds on the way and have started collecting some lead. I am going to start out by casting for my 30/06 (NEF Break Action) and 300 aac (AR build). Eventually I will work my way into 7.62x39, 45-70, 40s&w, 9mm, and possibly 223. Found a gentlemen on the forum here that is local who offered to show me the ropes once things settle down a bit. I've spent the past few days sorting and melting down some wheel weights. I'm hoping to end up with a little over 100lbs of lead once I get it all melted down. I figure that's not too bad for $20 paid out to a local tire shop. Pics below of the progress so far. Have about 54lbs in ingot form and have those 2 buckets to melt down still.

Welcome aboard.

Wheel weights are great, but they are drying up.
    I'd also be scrounging up pure Lead to mix with them where you can.

Years ago, if you needed extra Tin, a roll of 95/5 solder was $6. at the big box store.
    Today, it's $30.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Wheel weights are great, but they are drying up.
    I'd also be scrounging up pure Lead to mix with them where you can.

Years ago, if you needed extra Tin, a roll of 95/5 solder was $6. at the big box store.
    Today, it's $30.
    Thanks! I was surprised that the wheel weights were over 50% lead when I picked them up. I got another bucket from a friend that was all lead. I think he'd been sitting on that bucket for awhile as most of the weights were 2.0-4.0. From what I understand, older tires/wheels required more weight. Newer tires/wheels have a little better tolerances so not as much weight required. I'll have to keep an eye out for some tin.

Boolit Master
    The wheel weights work great. But in most pistole loads you can mix half wheel weights and half pure lead to stretch your wheel weights out. I go to a local recycler and buy there scrap sheet lead.if you don’t have pure lead just use your wheel weights. They work good in my 9mm. Also if you can get range lead like I do you can also use half that to your wheel weights

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard. It looks like you are off to a good start. Be sure to take care of those guys at the tire store. Something like a box of donuts early one morning or a 6 pack of beer late in the day, if they are drinkers. Maybe throw a little business their way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    The wheel weights work great. But in most pistole loads you can mix half wheel weights and half pure lead to stretch your wheel weights out. I go to a local recycler and buy there scrap sheet lead.if you don’t have pure lead just use your wheel weights. They work good in my 9mm. Also if you can get range lead like I do you can also use half that to your wheel weights
    That's good to know. I do have about 10lbs of soft lead from stick on wheel weights. I may reserve that for a black powder revolver I've been eyeing, but from what I understand soft lead is easier to come by.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Welcome Aboard. It looks like you are off to a good start. Be sure to take care of those guys at the tire store. Something like a box of donuts early one morning or a 6 pack of beer late in the day, if they are drinkers. Maybe throw a little business their way.
    That's a great idea. I'll swing by tomorrow and drop them a dozen doughnuts.

Boolit Grand Master

Where in Virginia are you. There are a bunch of us here, Northern VA, Central Virginia, and Hampton Roads.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rtyler8140 View Post
    That's a great idea. I'll swing by tomorrow and drop them a dozen doughnuts.
    About the same time that I finished typing this yesterday I called the local tire shop owner and ordered a set of tires (ouch) for my Wife's Expedition. This morning I got up early and drove to a nearby town to the nearest donut shop and bought donuts for us, my Mom and a couple of dozen for the guys at the tire shop. They acted really appreciative!

I get about a gallon bucket a month from them. They usually run 65-70% lead. Sometimes the owner or his Wife will call, sometime one of the guys just drops them by, usually late enough in the day to drink a beer, or sometimes I just stop by with treats and pick them up. Not a big score but steady and with a good yield.

Gotta keep'um happy ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Where in Virginia are you. There are a bunch of us here, Northern VA, Central Virginia, and Hampton Roads.
    and Gloucester.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    and Gloucester.
    I'm in Lynchburg.

Im doing the same... My buddy does tire changes and owns a garage. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and a small box of weights last week. Around here, a bucket is 40$. I paid 50$ for everything. The sorting takes long.
    I try to speed up the process by dumping hand fulls of the weights in a big dog bowl and blasting it with a big torch hooked up to a propane tank. I keep whatever melts.

Boolit Grand Master

So is our green amphibian friend Froggie. If you don't know him you should, he is a fount of information.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    So is our green amphibian friend Froggie. If you don't know him you should, he is a fount of information.
    Yeah, he is the one who offered to show me the ropes!