RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: NOE Expander plugs

Boolit Buddy

NOE Expander plugs

Looking to get a few of these. One will be for cast and plated 9x19 bullets. I’m sizing to .356”. I’m looking at the .357 x .353 plug. There are two models. One is listed for use with auto pistols and mentions 380 Auto specifically in the description. Which would be correct for 9x19?

I’m also casting 45 ACP and sizing to .453”. Assuming I’d need the .454 x .450 plug.

Boolit Master

a .353 plug will leave your brass ID about 0.352 OR 0.3525.

I would get a 0.359 x 0.355 if it was me or a 0.358 x 0.354 at the smallest.

A lot of my expander plugs are the same as my bullet OD. Brass will stretch about 0.001-0.002" before the deformation is permanent. So a case ID of 0.3525 will cause the boolit to act as the expander to a point.

Also with the tough 9mm brass case, you risk the case sizing down the bullet when seating.

I think a 0.358 x 0.355 would be your best bet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    a .353 plug will leave your brass ID about 0.352 OR 0.3525.

I would get a 0.359 x 0.355 if it was me or a 0.358 x 0.354 at the smallest.

A lot of my expander plugs are the same as my bullet OD. Brass will stretch about 0.001-0.002" before the deformation is permanent. So a case ID of 0.3525 will cause the boolit to act as the expander to a point.

Also with the tough 9mm brass case, you risk the case sizing down the bullet when seating.

I think a 0.358 x 0.355 would be your best bet.
    I assume this logic would apply to 45 ACP as well. IE, get a .456 x .452?

Boolit Master

That or a 456x452.

NOE plugs are not expensive. I got both the sizes of 44 cal. That way I can try both and see which works better.
    NOE has a Forum. Have you tried reading through the posts there to see if anyone has any ideas?
    Or possibly contact NOE and ask which they recommend.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

I went to the NOE forum site , listed the boolits I was casting and the sized to diameters I planed on using and asked what size expander plugs would be correct .
    In no time I received several responses giving me the correct ones to order , and I'm glad I did because I was going to order the wrong sizes .
    Sometimes the smart thing to do is just ask... Al Nelson himself was one of the ones who answered my question . I bought the sizes they advised and they all work right on...I'm so glad I asked because I had it all wrong .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Why would an expander plug not be the size of the Bullet one intends to load?

Maybe I am not understanding something here...

Boolit Grand Master

NOE Expander plugs

General rule w/ NOE expanders is two thousandths over and two thousandths under the bullet size. This gives you two thousandths neck tension.

This was posted by Al on the NOE forum and is a good example of how to select an expander.
    And using a bullets sized .356 and a .357 x .353 Expander plug
    the .353" end will enter the case first then the .357" step.
    This will give you a neck with .003" tension and a "shelf" with .001
    clearance to start the bullet in.
    Seat your bullet to the COL that you want.

If .003 is to much tension for you change to a .358 x .354 Plug and get .002".
    It is a simple system and has worked for me quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I went to the NOE forum site , listed the boolits I was casting and the sized to diameters I planed on using and asked what size expander plugs would be correct .
    In no time I received several responses giving me the correct ones to order , and I'm glad I did because I was going to order the wrong sizes .
    Sometimes the smart thing to do is just ask... Al Nelson himself was one of the ones who answered my question . I bought the sizes they advised and they all work right on...I'm so glad I asked because I had it all wrong .
    Gary
    X2 ....................I did the same

Oyeboten, if you use an expander the same size as your bullet you will get very little neck tension. With a stepped expander like NOE or the Lyman M expander you want the smaller number to be about .002 under bullet diameter. This gives you about .002 neck tension.
    This has proven to be right for many years.
    As far as spring back of the neck after expansion, that depends on several factors. Neck thickness, strength, annealing. Variations in any of these factors effects the neck diameter after expansion. Going the .002 under minimizes these effects.
    Leo

Boolit Master

I knew if I waited in ignorance long enough, that it would be explained in a way that even I could understand it.
    I not only found out about expander plugs but also that I should check in on the NOE forum occasionally.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Why would an expander plug not be the size of the Bullet one intends to load?

Maybe I am not understanding something here...
    It's more complicated than that....trust me !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"