Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mgm barrel

Boolit Buddy
    I would trade my 15.875" barrel in right now for a carbine length barrel.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    tejano,

My barrel is a 21” and I bought it from EdsTc. It is a MGM that he buys and resells and in a rifle barrel 21” was what he carries. For me I like the portability of a 21” tube as opposed to a longer one. As far as velocity, I do not think I will get a big boost with this cartridge by having a longer barrel and Ed’s price of $295 clinched the deal.

Three44s
    I contacted Ed today about a 21” barrel, but he said he didn’t have one at the moment. Perhaps you got the last one. My thinking for a longer barrel was reduced report, but I am undecided.

Boolit Master
    Having a reduced report is a factor for sure. Does Ed have any other 25 cal barrels in stock and would you consider another chambering?

Actually I have had my barrel about 3 or 4 years ..... lol!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    I would trade my 15.875" barrel in right now for a carbine length barrel.
    Chris
    It would cost a few bucks but you can have a flash hider or some other extension added so long as it is permanently mounted to add length. I have thought about that with some of my 14” barrels.

Another upshot is that your muzzle crown is protected.

The Contenders are short enough that they do not ride against a truck seat very well with the muzzle up. With the muzzle down, you will likely damage your crown but an extension protects it.

On the ranch I could carry a round in the chamber more safely, hammer block safety on and muzzle down.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Copy that Three44s, if I'm gonna shoot at something like a big kitty, I want to know it's going down with the first shot. I'd think a 25-20 or even 32-20 would take a a couple well placed rounds to bring such a critter down, and said critter might have something to say about it in the interim.

I'm thinkin' 35 Rem, 45-70, 30-06....and even then, I'd be drillin' holes in my slugs.

Chris
    Yes just general jump and shoot or call one in, I would not count on a .25-20 to decisively anchor a big cat. A cat treed would change things somewhat. A lot of houndsmen use .22 Mag in a revolver but they want the cat to pucker up in the tree and fall out dead. Others want to blow the bejesus out of it and have it die mid-air. There are all kinds I guess.

One thing about it if that cougar hits the ground alive and full of fight, there will be ———— to pay if there are any hounds within reach of that cat!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    For those of you who already have a 25-20 MGM, would you pick a different barrel length if you got a do-over? I have been thinking about ordering a 24” or 26” barrel. Thoughts?
    since it is so short already, I ordered my 25-20 @23". my 223 is 21 and pretty handy, but I don't see a lot of difference in only 2 inches. will know if the new one ever arrives.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    I put a permanent barrel extension on ALL of my Super 14" Contender barrels, to make them LEGAL for use as rifle barrels! Balance is perfect, accuracy is better, the muzzle is protected, and the weight is adds to the muzzle is absolutely unnoticeable!

Boolit Buddy
    Assassin, that is cool looking.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Assassin, that is cool looking.
    Thank you!

That one is 7mm TCU. I also have the same in 30-30, 222 Remington, 22 K-Hornet, 7X30 Waters, 25-20, 32-20, 218 Bee, 22 long rifle and 22 magnum, plus a half dozen other odd ball cartridges, and what WAS Super 14" barrels, are all now 16 1/2" in length with the same identical looking barrel extension.

I have cerakoted a couple of barrels/extensions and they look great!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice Assassin, can you regale us with a bit more info on that mod.? Like who does it, his lead time and how much he charges? I'm very interested in this.

Thanks much
    Chris

Panhead65: I think you made the right choice, my Savage' both have 24" barrels and they shoot lights out with 25-20 and 32-20.

Boolit Buddy
    my mgm 25-20 arrived yesterday, it is very nicely done. went to put it on the action, removing the factory 223 barrel. not having very good luck with this, the forend screws don't match my factory barrel carbine forend. the rear screw fits, front is too far to the rear to work. have to find out what is up with this.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Lead time is less than a week and costs average around $150 return shipped. Doing 2 barrels at a time drops the price to $125 each, and 3 barrels drops the price to $100 each.

Barrel extensions are made from air craft grade aluminum.

Barrels are threaded between centers, and as such, the muzzle is also recut with an 11 degree target crown.

1" of the barrel is threaded, and the overall barrel length is 16 1/2".

The barrel extension is just under 1" on diameter with a straight hole bored through the center of the extension at .620 so there is never any chance of a bullet strike, while still leaving more than ample wall thickness for safety measures.

Barrel extensions work very well with both cast and jacketed bullets.

Good Morning, What makes the extension permanent? Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 05-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good Morning Tom,

Red Loc-tite is not permanent! Apply heat, the Loc-tite breaks down, then you can unscrew the extension from the barrel, and when set up as a "rifle", it then becomes ILLEGAL, and falls under the same classification as an overly shortened sawed off shotgun barrel, which is highly ILLEGAL!

Regardless of how the barrel extension is installed, it is in full compliance with NFA / BATFE rules and regulations, because the installation is PERMANENT!

Boolit Master

tejano
    My brother buys and sells Contender barrels on GunBroker. We just got back from Memphis today to pick up some barrels and he has a new in the box 21" 25-20 barrel that will be put on GunBroker in the near future. If you are serious about wanting a 25-20 barrel, here is a link to one of his barrels on GunBroker and his phone number in down in the Item Description area. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864798307

wcp

Boolit Master
    I may have this wrong but I am under the perception that a barrel extension to be legal needs to be cross pinned and the pin locked in by welding the ends of the pin shut?

There may well be other legal ways of accomplishing it but that is my understanding.

The extension sleeve is supposed to be cross drilled (at least minimally) so as to preclude it being perceived as a forerunner to a suppressor?

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    tejano
    My brother buys and sells Contender barrels on GunBroker. We just got back from Memphis today to pick up some barrels and he has a new in the box 21" 25-20 barrel that will be put on GunBroker in the near future. If you are serious about wanting a 25-20 barrel, here is a link to one of his barrels on GunBroker and his phone number in down in the Item Description area. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864798307

wcp
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I've dealt with Rob before...good guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12