Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mgm barrel

Boolit Buddy

mgm barrel

kind of messed up times, but today got some good news for a change, my mgm 25-20 barrel will be done soon. will have something interesting to do for a change when it gets here.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master
    They do make some great barrels.

Boolit Master
    25-20 would be a great cartridge to work with. Will you be shooting cast? Keep us posted. What about some details BBl length, twist etc.

Marlin Owners forum has more info on this than anyone. And the reamer info (throat area) to use for MGM barrels and cast.

Boolit Buddy
    asked them to set it up for cast, sent a dummy (not democrat) round with the 257420 that I use in the marlin. I buy the bullets, but am considering starting to cast @71 yrs old. I do cast for the flintlocks. anyhow am looking forward to this, my other contender barrels shoot very well, if I mentioned some of the groups the 223 21" barrel shoots, I would be called a liar.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    I recently fired up my MGM 21” in .25-20 Win again in an Easy Open Contender.

No cast yet, just j-words. With a 75 gr V-Max it is running .840-.860” for 3 shots at 100 yds, OAL = 1.990”, touches at 2.004”. I have a straight six power vintage Weaver on it with straight fine cross hairs right now.

So far I have used CCI 500’s lighting up Lil’ Gun powder. Next I am going to try some rifle primers, I have some put together with some Alcan small rifle because at P+ loading it is beating up the standard small pistol CCIs

I have been eyeing my four different molds next I have in quarter bore and a couple have HP pins, one real pointy boolit and a flat nose thrown for laughs and giggles.

Grey diggers and coyotes look out!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I have an MGM barrel in 25-20 for my Contender. It shoots little tiny clovers at 50 yards all afternoon. I use the 257420 gas checked with AA1680. I went with a 15.875" barrel. Kinda wish I had gotten it made a lot longer now as I really like the Contender as a carbine.

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    I am hoping my mgm 25-20 barrel gets here soon, they told me about 10 days ago it was in production. be nice to have something new to play with.
    Barry

Boolit Master

You are going to like you 25-20 barrel. I have a carbine length 25-20 and 30-30, both are TC barrels. I only have a small amount of 25-20 brass and I guess the manufactures only run that caliber every now and then. I wish StarLine would start making 25-20 brass.

Boolit Buddy
    got notice the new barrel is supposed to arrive Friday, hope so. will probably shoot up some of the 257420 loads from the Marlin first, then work on seating depth and such other fine tuning. have 50 rnds of good Remington brass all prepped and ready to go. so much nicer to work with than the crappy Winchester brass I bought.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Easy to make 25-20 from 32-20, which Starline does make. Just run it into your seater die first (without the stem) then into your sizer die. Use a good sizing lube sparingly. I suggest Imperial or a home brew that utilizes lanolin.

Chris

Boolit Master
    I took my .25-20 Win Contender Carbine (MGM barrel) to the field this AM.

65 to 80 yds., two shots fired, two California Ground squirrels down! 75 gr. Hdy V Max and Lil’gun powder, Alcan small rifle primer. It’s a hummer!

I got .25-20 bug now!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    I hope to use one of my 25-20's to hunt with some day. I think woods hunting small game would be perfect with the cartridge. Gotta get out of this desert first...

Chris

Boolit Master
    As a kid I remember pouring over the ballistic charts from the ammo makers and always scoffing at the idea of a .25-20 Win but as one seasons as a hunter you realize what a gap there is between standard rimfire and the hot centerfires. I have a lot of fondness about the .22 Magnum rimfire and it certainly turns heads but the .25-20 Win is a real jump from the 22 Mag but it is not really louder by a great degree. I have not fired them side by side to compare that.

My main prey is the coyote and if it comes together, cougar. Within it’s range a .25-20 Win looks real good against a coyote, no guarantees on those big cats however!

Three44s

I always have had 25/20 & 32/20 rifles. I shot them a good bit but nothing like the 8 yrs of Obama. We shot them in place of 22s. My family has always used the small centerfires instead of 22mg. They were cheaper for us to shoot. 25/20 has more whack on game than 22mg. With solid cast doesn’t do anymore meat damage than a 22.

Boolit Buddy
    found out today mgm had to refinish my barrel for a blemish, anyhow at least I know it did not get lost somewhere. soon I hope.
    Barry

I have a 15 inch MGM barrel. It shoots really well with 75 grain jwords. I use the Steve Ware load of VV N340. As far as I know it is unpublished and will not post here. If you pm me I will share it with you.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Copy that Three44s, if I'm gonna shoot at something like a big kitty, I want to know it's going down with the first shot. I'd think a 25-20 or even 32-20 would take a a couple well placed rounds to bring such a critter down, and said critter might have something to say about it in the interim.

I'm thinkin' 35 Rem, 45-70, 30-06....and even then, I'd be drillin' holes in my slugs.

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    For those of you who already have a 25-20 MGM, would you pick a different barrel length if you got a do-over? I have been thinking about ordering a 24” or 26” barrel. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    tejano,

My barrel is a 21” and I bought it from EdsTc. It is a MGM that he buys and resells and in a rifle barrel 21” was what he carries. For me I like the portability of a 21” tube as opposed to a longer one. As far as velocity, I do not think I will get a big boost with this cartridge by having a longer barrel and Ed’s price of $295 clinched the deal.

Three44s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast