RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: 310 tools...a couple of handy hints

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

310 tools...a couple of handy hints

I have two bits of information for those who may be new to the Lyman 310 "tong" tool. The first I've posted before, but it should be brought up from time to time. The second I just discovered today.

1. When setting up the depriming die, make sure the decapping pin only protrudes far enough to pop out the primer....no more! When I first started using the 310, I had the pin out quite a ways and broke several pins before I figured out what I was doing wrong. The 310 tool swings in an arc, so having the pin out too far stresses it back and forth during the depriming process. Those pins are tough little buggers, but repeated bending will break anything. Again, set that die up so the pin protrudes just enough to remove the primer.

2. About four years ago, I was lucky enough to score a set of brand new 310 dies for 6.5 x 50 Japanese (Arisaka) at a mouth watering price. They came in a nice, old Lyman box with individual boxes for each die. I didn't realize at the time that these are designed for the little Lyman Truline Jr. press, so I screwed the CMR (Combination Muzzle-Resizer) in to my 310 and began to deprime, resize and expand all in one easy step.

Well, almost. The primer came out just fine and the case neck resized just fine, but when I tried to pull the case back over the expander the case came out so far that the extracting hook lost its grip. I couldn't get the case out! This is because the expanding plug is just above the decapping pin....far too low. I considered pliers on the case and immediately rejected that idea. Instead, I unscrewed the entire die/case from the tool. I then placed the die in my RCBS Rock Chucker die hole, raised the ram and slid a shell holder in so that it gripped the rim and slid into the ram simultaneously. I lowered the ram and the case came out undamaged.

But what happened? I suddenly realized that the set with a CMR die is meant to be used in a STRAIGHT LINE tool only......such as the Truline Jr. To correct this problem, I'll call the 310 shop and order a separate universal decapping die. That way, I can run the case in and deprime it, neck size with the CMR (expander removed) and then use a separate expanding plug (.266 for cast lead), just like the five die sets.

The 310 is an excellent little tool and I wish Lyman would continue production, especially the steel handles. Once you get to know what the designers had in mind, you understand how the tool works and you'll get hooked too!
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-02-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Banned
    I agree. I have had the same problem as #2, only with 222 cases. Unscrewing the die would allow the extractor to get a grip and eventually pull the case out, it worked though it was a slow process.

I have a set of 310 handles that are made for 7/8-14 dies and they have the same problem, only on a larger scale.

Boolit Grand Master
    3006guns,

You can use the CMR die to decap and neck size at the same time. Where you get in trouble is when you also try to expand the case mouth as you open the tongs up and pull the case out of the die. You are out of leverage when you are pulling that far out. Also the opening of the tongs brings the case offline from the far arm of the tongs, reducing the engagement of the hook with the case rim. That's why the separate neck expander works well for this, you are squeezing the tongs shut to make it work then pulling the plug out when the tongs still have leverage and are close together.

It's unfortunate that now Lyman has quit making new sets of 310 dies so many "sets" are being assembled by mixing and matching, often by people with limited knowledge of the dynamics of the system. As you discovered, 3006guns, we are definitely in a situation of caveat emptor.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    3006guns,

You can use the CMR die to decap and neck size at the same time. Where you get in trouble is when you also try to expand the case mouth as you open the tongs up and pull the case out of the die. You are out of leverage when you are pulling that far out. Also the opening of the tongs brings the case offline from the far arm of the tongs, reducing the engagement of the hook with the case rim. That's why the separate neck expander works well for this, you are squeezing the tongs shut to make it work then pulling the plug out when the tongs still have leverage and are close together.

It's unfortunate that now Lyman has quit making new sets of 310 dies so many "sets" are being assembled by mixing and matching, often by people with limited knowledge of the dynamics of the system. As you discovered, 3006guns, we are definitely in a situation of caveat emptor.

Froggie
    I examined the expander with the idea of just removing the ball and found that it's actually the decap pin retainer also! In other words, it's all one piece.......so there went THAT idea. I found a separate universal decapping die, so I'll just modify my process with the whole set. Still love the tool too!

As for "caveat emptor"..........no sweat, as I have a Truline Jr. to fall back on!

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember those dies with the big sizing plug doubling as a decap pin retainer. Faced with the same state of affairs, I’d get a “normal” decapping rod to use in the CMR so I could size and decap in one step, then rig up another die to only run the expanding plug into the neck deep enough to open the case mouth, then pull it right back out, not all the way into the bottom of the case and all the way back out. I don’t know whether I’m making myself clear, I’ve only had one cup of coffee, but I think there should be some sort of work around here.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I’ve seen a couple 310 decapping dies that have a fat adjustment screw shank with wedding ring stop at the top with the normal skinny rod for the decapper. Haven’t tried them in a CMR die yet, but that might work just for decapping. They show up occasionally in junk boxes at Gun Shows.

The easiest way to go if you are stuck with a Tru-Line Jr. set, and don’t have a Tru-Line Jr, is to get a 7/8”x14 adapter die for the 310 dies and use them on your reloading press for that step.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I’ve seen a couple 310 decapping dies that have a fat adjustment screw shank with wedding ring stop at the top with the normal skinny rod for the decapper. Haven’t tried them in a CMR die yet, but that might work just for decapping. They show up occasionally in junk boxes at Gun Shows.

The easiest way to go if you are stuck with a Tru-Line Jr. set, and don’t have a Tru-Line Jr, is to get a 7/8”x14 adapter die for the 310 dies and use them on your reloading press for that step.
    The die you describe with the "fat" adjustment screw is, in fact, their 'universal' decapping die. It has no expander or sizing capability, just the depriming pin and that's what I ordered. Now, back to the bench....................

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm between mouth expanding 100 rounds of 32 S&W L sitting in my easy chair and going to the basement to add powder and bullets.

What I was referring to was the standard decapping pin retainer on that same screw that came on your TLJ die. That's the way my 4 die sets for 310 tools were set up. CMR (decaps and deprimes) Muzzle Expander, Priming Chamber, and DA (seats bullet and crimps). Other sets came with the 5 die set up, with Universal Decapper, Muzzle Resizer (basically just a sleeve) Muzzle Expander, Priming Chamber, and DA Seater.

I've seen original TL Jr sets with just two dies, a CMR with built-in expander like yours and a DA Seater. These are the dies I worry about getting mixed in with 310 sets and giving problems. Other concerns would include FL (Full Length) Sizers in TL Jr pistol sets... the 310 tongs lack the leverage to either push the case in or get it back out.

Froggie