Titan ReloadingPBcastcoReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is the best bottom pour pot. Sick of my Lee drip-o-matic

Boolit Buddy

Unhappy What is the best bottom pour pot. Sick of my Lee drip-o-matic

I need a better bottom pour pot. I started with a 10lb Lee years ago, then later I "upgraded" to 20lb Lee bottom pour.

When the pour valve is working I cast beautiful boolits. Unfortunately the valve works correctly less than ½ the time. I am sick and tired of it.

Those of you who have used and recommend a different (and better) brand please tell me what I need to know.

Thanks,
    Rocky
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Grand Master

I just don't know right now. The Lyman has mixed reviews. The ProMelt11 had so many problems that they too it off the market. You still see an original ProMelt for sale from time to time. Magma Engineering makes a nice pot. But its a 40# pot and cost $600.

Boolit Master
    I also have the 10# Lee that would give me fits. So I took it apart and drilled/tapped the top end of the rod for a 10-32 thread. Then bolted on a piece of metal for a handle. Now I just give it a tweek now and then to stop the drip.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Magma master pot 40# capacity
    Can be set up to pour 1 or 2 cavities at a time
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Grand Master
    I have and use both a 10 and 20 pound Lee bottom pour pots. I also have an RCBS Promelt. The RCBS is a better pot, not perfect, but better.

I bought the Promelt used at an estate auction for about a quarter of what they were selling for new several years ago, I couldn't justify the expense of a new pot with my budget. I am glad I got it, but it is a luxury not a necessity.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Pro melt is very nice. Magma is almost perfect. Add a PID to Magma and it is pretty dang close to perfect.

The 600 pot is the same pot in master caster. I bought the Master caster but wanted to use it on hand casting too so I bought the stand for it. I am going to guess if you wanted to ever upgrade to a Master Caster, they would sell the rest to you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SODAPOPMG View Post
    Agree
    Don Verna

I've used M aster Pot for 16 years or so. Probably good as one needs to be.

Boolit Buddy
    $600 starter price?

Boolit Master

but look at the money you'll save

Boolit Master
    I would vote for a Pro Melt if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by SODAPOPMG View Post
    there might be better gear somewhere, but this one is all i could ask for and likely to run for more than one lifetime as well

Boolit Master
    I lapped my valve last time I emptied it. seems to have worked

I have the LEE 4 20 Melter bottom pour & I haven't had no problems with it yet I have cast 1,258 .44 cal RB it dripped once & I just took a screwdriver & turned the rod left & right & it stopped and hasn't dripped anymore yet I love my LEE 4 20 I also leave about 3/4" of lead in the bottom so the pour spout doesn't get debre in between the rod & pour spout that will cause it to drip mine does excellent job for me fellas
    Last edited by trapper44shooter; 04-04-2020 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Find a used pot such as the original RCBS Pro-Melt or a Lyman Mag-20.
    I have an extra Mag-20 that I bought off fleabay a couple of years ago. Tested it and have it waiting in the wings for when my 1st Mag-20 or Pro-Melt croaks.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have the Magma 90 lb. pot I have mentioned before, but it is definitely overkill. I would definitely buy the 40 lb. version if I came across one at a good price, but I have a pro-Melt and a Mag-20 that came at good prices I need to kill first. If I were starting now with the knowledge I already have, the Magma would be an easy choice. What is a few more months of Hamburgerless Helper to someone who has already lived it?
    Tony

Boolit Master

I bought the Lee 10 pounder 35 years ago. Wore it out, bought a new one, rebuilt the old one, gave the newer one to a good friend. The only modification I recommend is the installation of a small metal shelf bracket under the pot. Now the pot holds up a couple molds or ingots without sagging over time.

I have 2 houses which means I have duplicate gear out west and in the Rockies. Some of the usual molds are duplicated, some of the dies as well. My neighbor in CO Springs wanted to reload so I didn't have to buy all the dies. I did buy the mold for his 500 S&W, that thing is a beast!

The Lee drip-o-matic is generally dripping when crud gets on the valve rod. A member here suggested a thorough cleaning with water. Start with a cold pot, pour in some water, when it gets steaming work the rod. No more drip-o-matic. That and I don't smelt in the pot anymore. I used to just put range scrap in the pot and go to town. With all the lifting and lowering the valve rod crud would migrate down the rod due to the weight of the melt. Poof, drip-o-matic. Now I generally get about 100 pounds poured before I have to clean it again.

I started out casting with a ladle before Dad got a SAECO bottom pour. It still works like brand new 45 years later.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    there might be better gear somewhere, but this one is all i could ask for and likely to run for more than one lifetime as well
    I gotta get away from this thread!