RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More than one press

I converted our old attached single car garage into my gun room / reloading shop and have 2 Dillon 550's, a Rockchucker, a Hollywood (for bullet swaging), two lube sizers, and a Kal Max case stretcher. Thank goodness I have enough room for everything (just barely!). It would be a pain mounting and dismounting everything as needed ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Oh, and I also have 3 MEC single stage shotshell presses, but since they get limited use I have a portable wood box base that I mount them to as needed depending on gauge (12, 20, and .410). They mount through the base of the box with 3 long bolts with wing nuts for quick assembly / disassembly. The 3" high sides of the wood box base prevent spillage of components and room to hold the wads close to hand that are being used.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I have 4 presses and only one on the bench at a time which is the way I built the bench. This is a dedicated bench just for reloading or gun cleaning. On the right side of the bench is a 5/16" steel plate that is recessed into the bench and trilled and tapped for each press.

I have two brass cartridge presses mounted. A Lee turret with turret disks for anything I reload so they just drop in as needed. One older C press that sees use for Lee sizers or Lee case trimmer. Also military brass gets primer pocket swaged in the C press. That is the left center and center. Right center is clear but I clamp shot shell presses there as needed.

I also have another C press I swap in as it has slightly more leverage. All presses are mounted on plywood base consisting of two pieces of plywood glued together. The three metallic cartridge presses are drilled for common bolt pattern so they can swap out. I have bolts with wing nuts in the bench. The shot shell (Mec & Pacific) sit on shelves, well one is on the floor for now. Their bases just get quick clamped to the bench to be used.

I hope to some day switch out the C press for a Lee Classic Cast O press to gain leverage and de-priming with primers going down through ram. Although I do give some thought to a second turret. Seldom want to switch what I am reloading before finished but every so often it happens. However I have a rule of only one powder in the hopper and on the bench so I'm not sure how I would reconcile that with two turret presses in use at same time.

There are a couple of people who are considering reloading. If they both follow through I will send the C presses home with them and buy the O press or second turret press. Otherwise I have no need to rush. The turret and C press do what I need.

Possibly interesting side note. The single stage Pacific shot shell press I can unhook the spring and the handle will drop down allowing it to fit on shelf other than the top one. Makes it several inches less tall.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 04-09-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

On my "main" loading bench I have one Dillon 550b, and one Lyman All-American turret press. While the 550b stays, I have two more All-Americans I swap with the one mounted -- each set up in three oft-used calibers. Across from bench I have a table, on which are mounted two Redding Boss presses used for loading, and an old Pacific at table end -- "my dirty press" -- with a Universal decapper in it: used exclusively for decapping. In garage, where my brass-cleaning table sets, I have a third Redding Boss -- this used exclusively for decapping before wet tumbling. I also have a Buchanan hand press I regularly take with me to range for development; and, maybe two or three old single-stages in my "extras" tote.
    geo

Boolit Master

I have six mounted and two boxes of others waiting their turn.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Inline mount w/ quick change plate. Have a mount on each bench. For the few oddball old presses I have a steel plate that’s drilled for the mounting holes which is then secured to the bench top.

Boolit Master

I am down to two presses. Both mounted full time. Previoisly had several more presses. I have 2 RCBS accessory base plates that made quick work of swapping the RCBS presses. For the Redding Ultramag, I drilled/tapped the 4 hole bolt pattern into the base plate. Worked great.

If I were to do it over, I'd take a hard look at the Inline Fab quick change system.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Tagging in for ideas, I’ve got a 650 permanently mounted, but I do have a Lee App and a classic cast taking turns on an In-line Fab Mount.

Boolit Man
    Another Inline Fab quick change fan here. Makes swapping out my two presses super easy.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve got a 550 and a Lee turret mounted on the bench. I have a backup single stage and a shotgun loader on the top shelf behind stuff I’m more likely to need.

Boolit Master

Two 650 presses mounted on the bench. A single stage on a Inline quick change. Waiting in the wings are three more single stage presses and a turret press. They will get inline plates as needed.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Seven mounted for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019BenchSetup.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	260944
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123