Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Need help with 156 gr 9mm loads

Need help with 156 gr 9mm loads

I picked up a Lyman 3566370dv mold, the boolits after powder coating come out 155 or 156 grain, I could use some help with the powder charge. I would like to use these in my PTR 9c mp5 clone with a suppressor. any help would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0401201639.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	259508

I don’t use that bullet but I use the lee 358-158 TL SWC that weighs 163 grains with my alloy. The biggest problem you will have is seating depth.. I was able to find a sweet spot, and got heavy bullets to work... I would suggest a medium burn rate powder like unique... I run mine with 3.5 grains of unique.

Jjed----- What powders do you have available?

Boolit Master
    Red Dot and Promo are about the most economic powders in 9mm. I run 2.8 grains under a hollopoint that drops 152 grains from the mold.

Boolit Master
    Can you take your suppressor apart to clean it?

The load I have waiting in the wings. Accurate 35-155P, 5 grs- BlueDot. Keeping my social distancing at this time. The range will still be out there.

I shot 160gr plated RN for awhile in 9mm minor. I used WST or RedDot to make 800fps.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Thanks Guys, I have unique, universal, CFE pistol. yes my suppressor comes apart in segments that make it easy to clean. you guy's make this site great with all your help to guy's like me with less experience. thanks again.

Okay, any of those powders will work. Find data for a 147 grain boolit using those powders and use the starting load or just below. Then work your way up to where you want to be as far as velocity, function, and accuracy.
    That boolit needs to be seated rather deeply to work in most 9mm handguns. Make up a couple of dummy rounds and keep testing the seating depth until you get them to drop into your chamber easily

You can get data from nearly recent manual. The Lyman 49th has both Unique and universal listed. You can get data for Universal and CFE Pistol from the Hodgdon data site. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    There is data for Unique on the Alliant site for Unique but they only list a max load for a jacketed bullet.
    Some of the older Lyman manuals are available for free to download online. I would recommend you get one of them.
    Last edited by tazman; 04-02-2020 at 11:09 PM.

thanks tazman, I will try to do some tonight.

Boolit Buddy
    The only powder I could get to run consistently with that bullet was blue dot - and a lot of it. I tried faster powders like titegroup and bullseye and couldn't get it to stabilize. At least half were keyholing. A stout power pistol load got me down to 9/10 stable, but it was a pretty hot load. As a rule I got better velocity without pressure signs from slower powders, but was never happy with that bullet. Even tried beagling the mold in case it was just dropping undersized, and that seemed to help a little. If you do find a load that works for you, please share