Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Steyr m 95 action strength

Boolit Buddy

Steyr m 95 action strength

Question
    How strong is the action on the styer m95 action, read somewhere 30'000 psi , want to put the 1.6 x 44 round in one of these which is a straight walled 445 super mag but that round has a pressure higher than 30,000 psi.....thoughts opinions worries or ideas appreciated

Banned

I know the Germans used to rechamber them to 8mm Mauser!

A friend of mine took a M 95 and made a single shot 445 SM from it. He reworked the stock to where you would never imagine the modern style he crafted from it could be done. Anyway he fired full power handloads from it and had no problems.
    A member on GBO forum rebarreled a M 95 with a 20 cal barrel and cut a chamber with a 30-06 reamer with a 20 cal. neck and called it a 20-06. He slowly worked up handloads with it trying to reach 5000 fps but got to a point where the brass was sticking and he quit at that point but the action worked fine as I remember.
    Knowing the type of pressures of cartridges from 125 years ago I would not push it to far but they were made of the best steel and materials from that period.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Wow just wow like the stories of a mosin action not failing at 100,000 psi thinking id be fine with that 1.6 x 44 round pressure and I thought I was the first to think of it and someone already did it

Boolit Master
    The question of strength is one thing,but ask yourself how well the action will handle high pressure gas if a primer pierces or ruptures ,or worse ,if a casehead lets go.....What I am saying ,is will the gas ,oil ,brass particles at very high velocity severely damage your face ......A 98 Mauser can blow the reciever ring ,with nary a smudge on the shooters face ....Can your milsurp ?

Boolit Buddy
    And that's why I love this forum , brutal honesy followed with a fact

Boolit Master
    I think that the pundits were concerned with the metallurgy used at the time. The steels weren't quite up to the modern standards way back then. The Steyr M95's came out at the beginning of the smokeless propellant era and the propellants weren't all that great at first. The early smokeless propellants was quite new and revolutionary then. But their main concern was the slightly smaller bore rifles being used with the later 8mm cartridges with larger bullets. So the US ammunition companies purposely reduced the 8x57 loads, just in case some idiot fired them in the small bore 8mm rifles. Lawsuit liability issues. Anyway as far as I know, no one blew up a small bore M95 using the modern 8mm ammo though. so it might be a moot point. All of the M95's I have seen, including my own have been modified to shoot the modern 8mm ammo. But being that the only modern ammo I used was made in the USA it is somewhat anemic compared to the European military or European Sporting stuff.

Anyway if you are rebarreling a M95 to shoot something else, it should not be a problem. it is a fairly strong action for regular purposes. I would not use it for magnum power cartridges though.
    The military, even back then, would not have designed a poor weapon for use by their troops. They would have over engineered it to some extent and tested it thoroughly before approving its production.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-04-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    You might also consider that the extractors were considered a expendable ,soldier replaceable part .......but are now quite hard to find............and finally ,I might add , the rifles were converted to 8x57 long after the 'S' bore issue had been resolved ,so would have had standard dimensions.
    Last edited by john.k; 04-04-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Your .44x1.6" cartridge will not develop the pressure of the 8x56 WW2 ammo- that stuff is stout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind that most if not all of the M95 actions, bolts etc. are well over one hundred years old and only the Lord knows what the metallurgy and their history is. Proceed with caution. Steve
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member