Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: RCBS .44 special Cowboy dies

Banned

RCBS .44 special Cowboy dies

Does any one have both the RCBS .44mag/.44spl carbide 3 die set and also the .44spl cowbow 3 die set?

(for handguns)

If you use the ring/spacer for the .44mag (out of the first set) and use it with the cowboy set dies, can you to load .44mag with the cowboy dies?

I called RCBS, asked them some questions about the .44 special cowboy 3 die set and the standard carbide .44 mg/.44 special 3 die set

They didnt know the answer. Said they might call me back if anyone can figure it out

Anyone here know?

Basically, are the two sets die bodies exactly the same dimensions ?

PS, no lee stuff
    Last edited by GSP7; 04-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.

I think you can use a spacer ring that way. You may still need to adjust the dies to match your case length.
    If you have one set of 44S/44M dies Why buy another set of 44S dies?
    I was looking at the RCBS parts list. For the 44S, 44M and 44-40 the expanders all have the same part number.
    I would get a Lee universal expander die and buy the NOE expanders the size I want to match the cast bullet size I use.
    That's what I did. NOE sells a .434x.430 plug and a .436x.432 plug. These plugs plus the ones in my RBCS, Lee and Lyman 310 tool give me 5 different expander sizes to choose from.
    I load for a Marlin 1894 44Mag. it likes fat cast bullets. Around .434. My revolvers liked the .431 size.
    If you want to have one set of dies for the mag and another for the special so you don't have to readjust the dies then get most any used set of dies that can load the Special. Some dies are made to load both, others are not.
    Then set one for each. I would still get the right sized expander for the cast bullet I use.
    Leo

Banned
    44magLeo, No

RCBS has a "cowboy" .430 diameter expander for soft cast bullets. Standard expander is .425.
    I can also buy the RCBS .430 expander separately

Someone that owns what I asked above knows what I am talking about .

I picked up an older set of RCBS steel dies for 44 Mag.
    I heard that RCBS made a larger expander for the Cowboy dies, but when I called RCBS, the person I talked to said they were all the same. Then I looked it up in the parts book and saw they all used the same part number.
    If they do make one can you tell me the part number? If so I will call again and get one.
    I did get the decapping rod and adapter to fit the size die. The expander/decapper that came in the set would only work on 44 mag cases. On 44 Special it bottomed out on the case long before it hit the spot that flares the case. With the decapping rod moved to the size die I cut the expander shorter so it would work with 44 Special.
    With my other expanders I don't really need it. do have a friend that his father has a 44 Mag Ruger Red Hawk. I may sell this RCBS set to him. Along with the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die. He can use that as a size die if he doesn't like lubing cases.
    I replaced the FDC with a collet crimp die in my 44 Spec/Mag Lee die set. Works very well.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I have both sets of the RCBS carbide dies. The regular set is dedicated to revolvers and Cowboy is dedicated to my Marlin 1894.

There are differences in dimensions, therefore RCBS doesn't list the Cowboy set for 44 Mag, on the packaging. You might be able work around that if you use the spacer. IIRC, the decapping rod is too short for the longer 44 Mag case. I have it removed and decap separately.

This is the way I use my Cowboy dies:

The carbide sizer is set to neck size the brass that was fired in the Marlin............I vary that depth according to bullet length.

Expander die is set for seating .434 bullets and no spacer is needed.

Seating die doesn't require a spacer, either. However, I always crimp in a separate operation, regardless of caliber...........using the standard RCBS seater, with stem removed. So I can't say if that die will seat and crimp in the same step, without employing the spacer.

Hope this helps. BTW, I have the same two sets in 357 Mag, also.

Winelover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post

Expander die is set for seating .434 bullets and no spacer is needed.

Winelover
    Winelover , What the heck do you talking about, you have it set up for .434 bullets ?... There is no such thing as a .434 RCBS expander.

The .44spl Cowboy dies come with a .430 expander only ...

The standard 44mag/44spl expander is .425

I think you made a mistake what you typed. (.434 )

Rick
    Last edited by GSP7; 04-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    I suspect the inside of the seater is larger for the largest possible case bullets.
    I have RCBS Cowboy seaters and they are larger in the neck and bullet guide diameters to accommodate larger bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    Winelover , What the heck do you talking about, you have it set up for .434 bullets ?... There is no such thing as a .434 RCBS expander.

The .44spl Cowboy dies come with a .430 expander only ...

The standard 44mag/44spl expander is .425

I think you made a mistake what you typed. (.434 Bullet?)

Rick
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    I think you made a mistake what you typed. (.434 Bullet?)

Rick
    Not hardly. I buy custom moulds to specifically drop .434 diameter bullets.

Winelover

Banned
    delete
    Last edited by GSP7; 04-03-2020 at 03:50 PM.

My guess is that winelover has a rifle like mine. It has a bit larger bore and throat size than most revolvers. Mine likes bullets at .434. My molds drop bullets at about .4345. These shoot very well as cast. Just lube and load. No sizing.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    You can load 44Mag with the RCBS Cowboy Carbide 44 Special,Russian Die Set with no modification.

I did lap my sizer a few thousandths so the expander mostly just flairs the case.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

So nobody knows the part number for the RCBS Cowboy die set .430 expander.
    Oh well.
    Leo

Boolit Master

If the guys at RCBS CS can't answer that question. Then all the "Old Guys" are staying home, maybe "at risk".
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    So nobody knows the part number for the RCBS Cowboy die set .430 expander.
    Oh well.
    Leo
    LEO,....... Sent you a PM !