Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tinsel fairy got me!! I'm OK

Boolit Master

Muddydogs,

I never said it was the lubed bullet's fault. As I said in the OP, and you correctly repeated, the flare up startled me and I jerked. I regard any undesirable flying lead as a visit from the Tinsel Fairy, as I think most here do as well.

Thank God I've only had the steam/exploding kind happen once, very mildly, with no injuries. That was enough!

Boolit Master
    If you use a thermometer to moniter alloy temp, make sure you enter the sensing rod slowly or you'll get a visit from the dreaded Tinsel Fairy. Any cold metal introduced to a hot alloy will do this.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I usually water drop my boolits to harden them so I learned about the tinsel fairy the hard way. I took a few rejects that had been out of the water long enough to dry out. However a couple had holes in the bottom from poor fill out. Although the pot wasn't full, a ten lb Lee maybe half full, it was empty in a flash with lead splash on the ceiling. Apparently one with water in it had made it to the bottom before it steamed off and I had reinvented the steam cannon. Fortunately almost all the lead went straight up with only a few small bits landing on me. I do not believe cold metal inserted in molten lead will explode unless it has some moisture on it. You need something under the lead that expands rapidly and a lot to move the lead. I believe water expands about 1700 to 1 so it takes very little water under the lead to get a visit from the tinsel witch. Nasty creature. I no longer introduce any lead to the pot that hasn't been preheated. Unless you are in an area with very low humidity, most tools will have a bit of moisture on them and it does not take much.

Boolit Master
    i use a leather apron as i cast sitting down .a lap full of hot lead is not my idea of fun.

Boolit Master

I add mine to a cold pot. Considering the lube is going to be pulled under the surface, this is bound to happen. God forbid there is any moisture trapped on the bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    i use a leather apron as i cast sitting down .a lap full of hot lead is not my idea of fun.
    Me too and you should see the lead splatters on my apron!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123