Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Casting 6.5 mm boolits

Boolit Master

Casting 6.5 mm boolits

I've been casting my own for 4 decades but not in this small in caliber. I cast 30,9mm,357,10mm,40 cal rifle,44,45 pistol and 45 rifle so this is a new adventure. Going to use them in a 6.5 grendel.
    Mold is a NOE 127Gr gc. Wish me luck.

Banned

Good luck.......I cast for my 6.5 x 55 Swede!

Boolit Grand Master

Not any harder to cast 6.5 bullets than any other caliber. Prep the mould correctly, use a good ternary alloy with a balanced % of antimony and tin, flux well and keep the alloy in the right temp range, use a good casting technique and "luck" will have nothing to do with it. That is a good 6.5 mould BTW.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Well out of the lot of 75 I cast only 5 were usable by my standards,lot of wrinkles in the nose area. Going to try increasingly the alloy temp hopefully the increased alloy temp will transfer to the mold giving me a better looking bullet. Sized to .266 didn't put on a gas check as this was more of a practice run than anything else.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 04-02-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Do you use a hot plate to heat your mold? I found out with
    using a hot plate to keep your mold on does wonders with
    keeping your bullets coming out perfect from the mold.
    That and jacking up the temp of the melt.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I set my blocks on top of the pot to preheat plus I'm not used to casting bullets that are this small .266 up to this point 9 mm was the smallest I've cast.

Boolit Master
    After playing with the mold fo the last couple of days finally got the mold broken in. Last night I gave the mold a good cleaning with Dawn dish detergent,readjusted the sprue plate and smoked the mold. Out of the 90 or so bullets I cast 15 didn't meet my standard no wrinkles ,sharp edges to the lube groves rather than rounded and a tight fit for gas checks. Sized to .266 dia weigh in at 125-128 gr.

Nice! Pictures, please!

My son is buying this mold as I hand down my many times fired 7.62x39 brass to him to reform to the Grendel he will be shooting. I dont know why LEE doesn't have a mold?

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately my tech stills leaves a great deal to be desired on posting pics. I tried reforming 7.62x39 brass using RCBS dies and ended up just crushing cases. Forgot to mention gas checks are from Sage's.. my experience with Lee molds has been disappointing to say the least.

Boolit Grand Master

Why are you smoking the mould?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The only way I can think of to post any pictures is to e mail them to someone who is more tech savvy than myself. I did manage to reform a 7.62 x39 case to 6.5 Grendel to make a dummy round with a cast bullet.
    Starline brass delivered yesterday jacket bullets will be here Monday,now just waiting for the ban to lift so I can get my rifle. Ban extend to may I think thank you chicken Charlie Baker and her majesty Maura Healey or " beloved" governor and attorney general.