MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

ive used 8g in 308 and the results were good but the distance was a meager 55 feet. but its still fun with this plinking load.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master

Staying with the ten grain weight, I use that in my antique 94 win 38-55 with a 250ish grain boolit also the 30WCF with the 150ish grain boolit. My 92 38WCF loves 8.0 gr of the magic flakes.

Banned
    Enjoyed reading all your comments about Unique. I load 5.0 to 5.2 grains Unique behind a 120 grain cast GC bullet in my 7 MM TCU, both T/C and rifle. Yes I have a 7MM TCU rifle. A Shilen barrel on a Savage Axis Rifle.
    Also load the 120 grain cast bullet in 7 X 57 Ruger # 1, 14 grains 5744 is great.
    In 7 MM WSM 18 grains 5744 is nice light fun and accurate load.
    Accurate tells me they have a new powder Ano2 I believe it is called. Has anyone had any experience using it???? Your comments are appreciated!! dd

Boolit Master

10 grs is a little stout in my .45 LC, I use 8 grs with a 255 RCBS cast for targets. I do use 10 grs of Unique with a 170 Lee in my .30-30 for fire forming them into .30-30 improved cases.

Boolit Master

Dang, I just bought a can of Red Dot!

Boolit Master
    I know this will get me crucified upside down for asking but......could one use the 10g rule to safely throw jacketed bullets?

I have a semi legit reason for asking. As an ametuer survivalist and major general couch commando, I am always looking for ways/things to stash. I have thought of trying to build a reloading kit that could fit into a 50 Cal can. Using tools like a lee hand press or lymans 310. The biggest deal is powder. Unique may not be the best at anything, but its pretty darn good for everything. I can't think of a better SHTF powder to stash. I have Unique loads developed for all my pistol cartridges. The only rifles I really care about are 308, 30/30 and. 223. I have not tried unique in 223 because I don't cast for my ARs.

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Anyone?

10 gr works in 500S&W but 16gr lets you know you pulled the trigger
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Anyone?
    Hodgdon lists a Clays load for 55 gr FMJ, so I think you should be able to work up a jacketed load with Unique.

It won't come close to cycling the bolt. But it will shoot.

jim

Boolit Master
    I was more so talking about a jacketed bullet in 308 over Unique. I think I'm just going to have to try it. I have some 168g soft points that I wasn't planning on using for anything.

Boolit Bub
    I like the 8 - 9 rain range of Unique for most of my cast pistol loads for 44's. I've done a little experimenting with it in my 30-30 but didn't have alot of luck. I was using it the checked bullets though and figure that is where the issue was. The same checked bullets shoot good when throttled up, I still need to get some plain base design and try again but developing "light" loads for the rifle is lower on the time / priority list.
    That being said, Unique is one of my must have powders in the reloading room though. Its just too flexible not to have on hand.

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    chamfered, try that 7-8 unique load for 30-30 with out the GC.
    Workes good for me.
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Moderator Emeritus

I would try closer to 15gr of unique in the 308 if you are going to use jacketed bullets and be very careful that you don't have a bullet left in the bore after any shot. Jacketed bullets take more umphh to push down the bore and are more likely to create a barrel obstruction with very light loads. 10gr in the 308 in Quickload predicts it at about 1400fps. 15gr is closer to 1800 which is more in my comfort zone. Remember unique is going to build pressure much more quickly than velocity so the maximum you can safely get will be somewhere about 2000 fps at 20gr of Unique. Go over 20gr and you are into 60,000+ PSI loads.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master

8.5 gr Unique under a 165 HPBT in the .308W is a good subsonic load at about 1050 - 1100 fps. I've shot lots of them but I wouldn't go lower because it's easy to sick a jacketed bullet in the barrel. I've also shot a lot of 123 sks jacketed in the .308W, .303, 6.65 Argie, 7.7 Jap and the '06 loaded over 12 - 16 gr Unique depending on cartridge capacity.

Many years ago I developed what I call my Panama load for the 5.56. We had M16A1s with 12" twists and m193 ammo. I'd use a pair of blasting cap crimpers to gently loosen and pull the bullets and dump the powder. I'd then pull a bullet with 2 TL's (wire cutters) from either the 9mm or 45 rounds and put the pistol powder in the 5.56 case. The M193 bullet was pushed in backwards and crimped in place with the blasting cap crimper pliers. Velocity was 1500+ fps and accuracy was really pretty good to 25 - 50 yard max shot in the jungle. I used the long range sight aperture and the zero was surprisingly close. Of course it did not function the action but they did feed from the magazine. Sounded about like and M14 with blanks or the m16 without the blank adapter with blanks. I did a lot of hunting around Gatun(SP?) Lake and river and up in the mountains. Aleays had fresh meat for the team and the 'diges.

Larry Gibson

I have a number of 140 gr GCFN I want to use in a 308 W. I don't have any data for that weight bullet in my books.
    I have Unique, Trail Boss, Blue Dot, 2400 SR4759 and IMR 4198 as fast powders. Any recommendation? I'm shooting for 30-30 velocities.( approx 2000fps)

Boolit Buddy

13 gr of Unique works well in my 03A3. Today I shot a 20 round group at 50 yards that was about 1.5 inches.

But like any powder, it will produce better results in some guns than in others. It does make a nice starting point for full sized rifle cases.

Boolit Master
    I've used unique in my 35 whelen ackley and 500 Jeffrey. I found 10gr to be a bit lighter than ideal in the whelen, and the jeffrey was burning quite a bit more.

In my 480 ruger, the most accurate of many accurate loads I worked up was 9.7 gr of unique under a 310 gr lfn cast for 950 fps. If I was a better shot I have no doubt it was a 1 moa load.

mace2364
    Anybody tried this 10gr thing with 8x50R Lebel?

Boolit Buddy
    .35 remington likes 10-15 grains for most cast bullets. 10 is usually a starting point or plinking load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I know this will get me crucified upside down for asking but......could one use the 10g rule to safely throw jacketed bullets?

I have a semi legit reason for asking. As an ametuer survivalist and major general couch commando, I am always looking for ways/things to stash. I have thought of trying to build a reloading kit that could fit into a 50 Cal can. Using tools like a lee hand press or lymans 310. The biggest deal is powder. Unique may not be the best at anything, but its pretty darn good for everything. I can't think of a better SHTF powder to stash. I have Unique loads developed for all my pistol cartridges. The only rifles I really care about are 308, 30/30 and. 223. I have not tried unique in 223 because I don't cast for my ARs.

Any thoughts?
    There was a short story in the American Rifleman on Unique as a universal powder written by Ed Harris several years ago. Handgun, some shotgun and rifle loads were all listed. Cast and jacketed with charge weight and approximate velocities were listed also.

The jacketed loads listed used light to medium weight bullets to keep the velocity up.

I'll see if I can find the date of the RM that had the info.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast