Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: 10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

Boolit Master
    I found out today that one of the rotors for my Lyman accumeasure throws exactly 10 grains of Unique. I think it is #11.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I remember reading about "The Load" from C.E. Harris, and was happy to know that such a thing existed. If memory serves, 13.0-13.5/Red Dot/150 gr. cast will give 1500-1800 f/s, depending on the cartridge of interest, barrel length, moon phase and some other things over which shooters have less control.

The 10.0/Unique/150 load always made me wonder if it was not intended to push cast bullets at velocities hovering around 1000 f/s. Using a propellant with a significantly slower burn rate, in a charge weight that was ~26% lower seemed unlikely to duplicate the ballistics of the Red Dot load, but I'll admit to never having tried it. I was gratified to read the posts of several more experienced reloaders, in which they said that 10.0/Unique was very much a starting load, and often 11-12 gr. was necessary for the brass to seal the chamber.
    I surmise that 10.0/Unique is an excellent starting point which errs on the side of caution, while the 13.0-13.5/Red Dot load is more of a universal "middlin' to semi-max" load.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

I was testing a very old scope today.
    Ten grains of Unique with the Lee C309170F
    Five shots at 40 yards with the 30-30.
    Fun stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415