RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What buckshot size for better patterning?

Boolit Bub

What buckshot size for better patterning?

Hi folks, it’s been a while since I posted. Life has been crazy. Six kids and years of building my own house on a rural acreage has taken all my time.

I’ve been casting and loading low recoil 1oz Lee slugs for years and I’m looking to start casting and loading buckshot now too.

I want to stick with the components I’ve got for simplicity. I’ve been using gun club hulls with Fed 12S4 wads with nitro cards for the slugs.

I’d like to create a training load that patterns tight like flite control 00. Within reason of course.

My question is what size round ball should pattern best in these wads and hulls? I’m looking for simplicity given how busy my life is so no buffered loads or anything like that. I don’t mind if the shot size is larger or smaller than 00, the pattern is the goal not the buckshot size.

Any thoughts or guidance on how to get nice patterns out to say 20-30 yards?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Welcome back Geoffrey! Buffer may not be totally necessary for 20-30 yard patterns but I would give serious thought to using it. After all, if you're going to invest the time to make good ammo for short range use, it makes sense to me to make that ammo as effective as it can be at long range also. Time is a commodity, use it wisely and avoid having to invest more time in ammo for longer ranges.

As far as which size shot, I would go with 00 as an "all around" size; easy to handle, 8-10 pellets per load so easy to count & stack and very effective. Something around 11-1200 fps should do the trick.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of that depends on the gun you use, and what you consider good. For a fun shooting load, 00 buckshot in a 12S4 wad can certainly fill that bill. 00 buck is the obvious choice, but many use 1 buck and have great results as well. I had even better luck with 2 buck.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple thoughts...bigger buckshot pellets are faster to cast and faster to load. Take Lee molds for example...they all cast 18 pellets. That gives you three shells per pour in the 000 size (6 pellet load), two shells per pour in the 00size (9 pellet) and two pours PER SHELL in the #4 size. (27 pellets). All for an appx 1 oz. +- load. If you're just after range blasting ammo, I would go with the 000. You can stack them 2x2 over a trap wad with the petals cut off for some super efficient/economical bang bang good time loads.
    Patterning can be finicky with buckshot though, so some experimentation will be the only way to get the performance you desire. Harder, larger, rounder, better lubricated pellets pattern better in my gun.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd pick a pellet size first, based on logistic criteria (time, price, hassle) and then work on making them pattern the way you want by adjusting hardness, velocity, choke, and wad first, and then add buffer/graphite/mica/wraps/powder coating only if you don't get satisfactory patterns. For my money, I do #000 in trap loads with the wad petals removed for practice and steel shoots, and load a box or two of #4 the same way, but buffered with cream of wheat for predator control (#4 buck is the biggest shot size legal for predators in Pennsylvania). They pattern about the same in my cyl bore beater gun...which is pretty darn wide. An inch a yard or more. For actual home defense ranges, I doubt it matters.
    As for flite-control style patterns...that'll be hard to match without buffer, but probably not impossible. You might get there with the right choke and cheap easy to load shells, but that proprietary federal wad, hardened plated pellets and buffer have a lot to do with it.
    Be prepared to get creative. I chased those patterns for a while too, and settled on slugs as my solution for anything outside of 30 yards.

Boolit Master

Here you go...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION!
    If you go with 00 use a two pellet stack and load by weight of the total number of shot.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    I tend to get the best patterns when pellets are stacked by 2s in a wad. I have a great 00 load stacked by 2s in an mg42 wad in 12 gauge. I also have a great 000 load stacked by 2s in a field commander wad, also in 12 gauge. And a 16 gauge 00 load stacked by 2s in a 16 gauge field commander wad. It just always seems to work out best stacked by 2s.

By patterns best, I mean 11-12" 40 yard patterns.

Boolit Master

^^^^ Yes, and HARD lead.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I only water drop buckshot. This is one area where you can produce something far better than you can buy. Even the nickel plated buckshot is nothing compared to quenched cast buckshot.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the reply and feedback. I suppose buffer isn’t too big a thing to add. My experience is limited so I’d been hoping to replace my 1oz slug with 2x nitro card for a similar weight of buckshot. Simple payload swap shouldn’t change pressure or cause other issues.

I’d been thinking smaller/larger than 00 to get a mold that drops shot that needs less post cast work than 00 buck. I thought most molds that cast 00 buck can be picky and require cutting each piece apart.

I would be aiming for low recoil loads so my wife and kids can practice too.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies!

The molds I am considering are the two cavity Lee molds. I want to cast round balls that require less post cast work.

I was planning to water drop them. I’ve got both soft and hard tire weight lead all cleaned and in ingots ready to go.

I guess I’m curious in a 12S4 if the .311, .319, .350, etc would stack best 2x2 for 8 pellets around 1oz.

I certainly don’t mind trial and error but want to at least start with the right size mold. I was thinking .319...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    Thank you for the reply and feedback. I suppose buffer isn’t too big a thing to add. My experience is limited so I’d been hoping to replace my 1oz slug with 2x nitro card for a similar weight of buckshot. Simple payload swap shouldn’t change pressure or cause other issues.

I’d been thinking smaller/larger than 00 to get a mold that drops shot that needs less post cast work than 00 buck. I thought most molds that cast 00 buck can be picky and require cutting each piece apart.

I would be aiming for low recoil loads so my wife and kids can practice too.
    There are a few options out there for sprue cutting molds, but the most common is the Lee .310" (1 buck) 6 cavity. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C

Honestly clipping buckshot is not that much of a chore. I would rather not do it, but I don't hate it either. The Lee 18 cavity buckshot molds work well. You have to clip the shot apart. Marty's Arms also sells buckshot mold in every single size, including custom sizes, but again all shot must be clipped.

I use buffer a lot of the time in buckshot loads. It can help get you the best of the best loads. Adding it to buckshot is not as bad as adding it to bird shot. But if all you want to do is get most of the shot on target at 20-30 yards, especially if your gun has choke, then try without buffer first. You cannot add buffer with load data for non-buffered shot.

You can use lead shot data for buckshot with no issues. 8 pellets of 00 buck weights about 1 ounce. 00 stacks in 2's great in a wad, 1 buck stacks in 3's, and 2 buck stacks in 4's. Some say they even use 000 buck in a wad, but my experiences are that it always bulges the hull too much to chamber freely. I love 000 buck, although I use it without a wad cup.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 04-01-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for your reply.

I’m in Canada and we can have short barrel shotguns without issue, the two shotguns I’m working with are a 14” barrel 870 and a 12.5” barrel 870.

Being short barreled I suspect it’ll take some work to get a pattern even close to the Federal loads. I’m using the Federal loads for any serious use or hunting. Just practicing with $1.20/round adds up quick.

There is another way to achieve tight buckshot patterns that doesn't involve reinventing the load.

It is called the Vang Comp Process and involves having your barrel modified by Hans Vang. This involves lengthening the forcing cone, back-boring the barrel to .745 and leaving a 2" choke in the last 2 inches back down to .730, then porting the barrel with 62ea. 1/16" holes to dampen muzzle rise.

The average 00 Buckshot pattern spread in a cylinder bore barrel is 15" at 15 yards with an additional inch for every yard beyond. So at 30 yards you are looking at 30" which for 9 pellets is spread kind of thin.

Vang Comp guarantees 7" at 25 yards and this has been proven not only by me, but literally 30 years and thousands of modified Police Shotguns he has been responsible for creating. This process reduces "Perceived Recoil" by smoothing out the recoil impulse and this makes the gun easier to shoot extensively over a few days in a Tactical Shotgun Class.

https://vangcomp.com/

My 20" M500 will do this all day long! Many may have noticed that I bring this up frequently and that is because it was the single most effective thing I have done to my Tactical Shotguns. The process results are literally night and day difference in the way the gun shoots, the patterning is exceptional, and the recoil becomes very easy to control and live with which allows you to concentrate on other gun handling skills, instead of dreading the next trigger pull.

This process will also work on your 14" gun. See his website they make 14" 870's for Police use all the time.

As far as buckshot,,, 00 stacks nicely in three 3 pellet layers. I have found that these group better than 8 pellet 000 loads.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-01-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Randy, I am familiar with the Vang Comp treatment and have considered getting it done to both my 870s.

Since I use Federal flite control 00 buck I don’t think the Vang Comp barrel treatment would help with that.

Most of my practice is with low recoil cast slugs. Might simply be worth buying more of the flite control 00 buck for some occasional buckshot practice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    Thanks Randy, I am familiar with the Vang Comp treatment and have considered getting it done to both my 870s.

Since I use Federal flite control 00 buck I don’t think the Vang Comp barrel treatment would help with that.

Most of my practice is with low recoil cast slugs. Might simply be worth buying more of the flite control 00 buck for some occasional buckshot practice.
    With rifled slugs, the back boring is likely acceptable. I can't believe that with most cast slugs that back boring would not be detrimental to accuracy. The short barrels are not a problem to pattern. If they are threaded for chokes, you are set.

Ithaca figured out with it's "Deerslayer" shotguns that some choke in the barrel helped with slug accuracy . My Browning Miroku Buck Special is .730 to .715 at the muzzle and is pretty accurate with slugs.

My 20" M500 is pretty accurate with slugs as well. here's 3 shots at 50 yards off hand.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Bub
    Thanks folks.

I’ll give the Lee 6 cavity mold a try.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

It is called the Vang Comp Process and involves having your barrel modified by Hans Vang. This involves lengthening the forcing cone, back-boring the barrel to .745 and leaving a 2" choke in the last 2 inches back down to .730, then porting the barrel with 62ea. 1/16" holes to dampen muzzle rise.
    Randy how much does the porting increase noise and low light level flash?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

We can't even get Flight Control in CA. I might add that my gun patterns #8 birdshot into about 7" at 15 yards which makes for the most inexpensive practice for running the gun.

M-Tecs. ZERO increase in noise. It's a shotgun and doesn't work like a rifle with an MB. We are talking 1/16" holes not 1/4" plus, and also 11,000-12,000 psi versus 50,000+. I have heard some Trap Guys complain about increased noise next to them, but I think they are just looking for excuses for why their scores suck. I can't tell any difference on my Citori XT which has both barrels Back Bored and Ported from the factory.

Don't know about the Low Light Flash as I have never shot my gun in the dark, but the muzzle rise is definitely less so transition times are faster.

Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe not to the shooter. Porting on a shotgun directs the sound out to the sides, and are absolutely louder to anyone next to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast