RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith and Wesson 57 41 mag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    My recent do everything magnum load has been a 230 WFN with 18gr 2400. Has shot well in every 41 I have which is several. I also like 7gr of 231 and some 210-230gr class LSWC for general practice.
    That sounds like a dandy load.

I've had good success (sub-2" at 25 yds from rest) with both Lyman's 410459 & RCBS' 41-215 in my Smith M57. I size both bullets to 0.411" and load up to 1100 fps with them. ACWW's + 50-50 lube. Unique (7.5 gr), Win 231, and Herco all work well for me with minimal to zero leading issues. The same loads do equally well in a trio of Ruger BH's in .41 Magnum. HTH's Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a great cartridge. I am so heavily invested in .357 (four pistols. three rifles) that I cannot justify making the switch. Adding another caliber does not meet my logistics parameters.

For a new shooter starting out it is an excellent option to consider if they want a cartridge that will work well in both pistols and lever action rifles. But get a few thousand cases!!

I fear it will die a slow death. Sad really.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

It very may well die a slow death as us boomers and Gen X get older. Until then, I’ll continue to enjoy it as my favorite caliber.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Lee tl410-210-swc this weekend and fired up the pot this afternoon. Boolits dropped at .4105 by .412. I tumble lubed them in 45-45-10 and they are drying as I type. Im just looking for a plinking accurate load for these.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    If I could only have 2 loads in the 41 magnum it would be 8 grs of Unique with the 230 gr Keith & 17 grs of 2400 with the same bullet. I've used both since the late 60's with incredible success.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

If you're into the 41 magnum and 41 special and like wadcutter designs, you might want to check out NOE's # 413 - 215 - WC (413432) mould . It's based on Lyman's 358432 design just enlarged to 41 cal and 215 grains . Makes a great target and gen use boolit , hollow point it and it would be an excellent stopper . It's about the only 41 I cast now days for my S&W model 58 ...in my avatar.
    Loads shoot to it's fixed sights perfectly .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I’ve got two 57s, both nickle 83/8”. One is NIB in case. Only S&Ws I have that I don’t load WCs for. I load 210gr SWC cast/ 18.0gr 2400 approx 1150fps. I don’t shoot them very often I hate nickle guns and cleaning them.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I bought a Lee tl410-210-swc this weekend and fired up the pot this afternoon. Boolits dropped at .4105 by .412. I tumble lubed them in 45-45-10 and they are drying as I type. Im just looking for a plinking accurate load for these.
    Try 6.5 grains of Unique with that Lee boolit for fun.

Boolit Grand Master

So far we have never had a 41 Mag revolver that did not shoot nicely. From Dan Wesson to Rugers to S&W to a couple Taurus they all have loads that we can depend on year after year.
    But if I could only have one it would be the Dan Wesson. Still the most accurate revolver we have ever owned.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Viva DW in .41 Mag!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I have 57 and mountain gun in 41 mag we shoot gold balls and play red neck golf. Excellent calibre

Boolit Grand Master

I got to chronograph my loads last weekend. With 220 gr Arsenal 412-220 RF and 11gr 800x I got 1140 fps from my 4" model 57-1. It was windy sunday, but I shot groups anyway. I shot four 6-shot groups at 45 yards, and every single group was 3 1/2". No variation at all. You can't beat that consistency!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I got to chronograph my loads last weekend. With 220 gr Arsenal 412-220 RF and 11gr 800x I got 1140 fps from my 4" model 57-1. It was windy sunday, but I shot groups anyway. I shot four 6-shot groups at 45 yards, and every single group was 3 1/2". No variation at all. You can't beat that consistency!
    That will harvest a ton of game.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggybull View Post
    I have 57 and mountain gun in 41 mag we shoot gold balls and play red neck golf. Excellent calibre
    What are gold balls you shoot? Maybe autocorrect golf balls? That sounds like a fun game. Do you set up a hole of sorts to get the ball into?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    The best thing I ever did for my 41's was to have the cylinders throated on both my Blackhawk and Redhawk. The accuracy improvement was dramatic. 8.0gr of unique under a 210-225 cast has always been a tack driver of a load in either revolver and my Henry Big Boy.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Have a M-57 with the 8" barrel. I have used many different cast bullets in it with all the types offered by Lee and most of the Lyman (when they still offered them)...never found any bullet that was not accurate in the M-57. I used a variety of powders; again never found any loads that weren't good~excellent. The .41 caliber seems to be intrinsically accurate. Lately I shoot SWCs cast at 210~220 grains with a fast powder to attain 1,000 FPS as that is all I find necessary for plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Recently I bought a S&W 57-1 41 mag with the long 8 3/8 barrel. Looking to find a good cast boolit load and need a mold recommendation. NOE has a few different styles in stock, keith, wfn, and a LFN style. In the past I have had better accuracy with WFN or LFN styles but that Keith boolit just looks right. This will be my first foray into the 41 magnum so just looking for some advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12