MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What! No ones fishing yet ?

Had been getting some red horse to pickle ,they range from 2 1/2 lbs to about 4 lbs. Dose not take many to fill a 5 gal bucket . Had made some pickle fish and now got some red horse in the freezer to make it when I run out of what I got pickle, now work on trout fishing.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Had been getting some red horse to pickle ,they range from 2 1/2 lbs to about 4 lbs. Dose not take many to fill a 5 gal bucket . Had made some pickle fish and now got some red horse in the freezer to make it when I run out of what I got pickle, now work on trout fishing.
    Are red horse a sucker ? I remember hearing the name long time ago . Pickled fish never did that but sounds interesting . Do you pickle / can them just like you would for vegatables ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

We're under tornado warnings now, and probably shouldn't take the boat out, so I dropped a line off it in the dock.
    I just caught and threw back a kitten fish.

That's what I think the 6" baby catfish are called.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Went fishing the day before all the public ramps closed in louisiana. Caught what I call a grand slam(one of every species) Red drum, black drum, flounder, speckled trout, sheephead, and alligator gar. I am so unhappy especially since I just fixed my 20' mako after it sank(don't ask). Thinking about renaming it "unsinkable 2."

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Are red horse a sucker ? I remember hearing the name long time ago . Pickled fish never did that but sounds interesting . Do you pickle / can them just like you would for vegatables ?
    Yes it is a sucker. No you do not can them the way I do them. I fillet them and remove the skin and then wash and cut about 1" by about 1 1/2" not fancy and then make up a brim of salt and vinegar and sit for 5 to 6 days and stir every day and then wash out in clear water and the soak in clear water for 8 hours and then you have you pickle mix made up and then you pack in qt jars with layer of fish and then onions and fish and so on till the jar is fill then after you get all the fish use up you pour the pickle mix in the jars and let sit in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours and then eat but keep in the fridge. The suckers have the Y bones in it and the brim soft the bones that you would not know they are there . For how I do it is like eating sweet pickles.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still trapped inside. weather was better in March than now in April .. I can't wait to float a few flies over some rising Trout.. Uncle Mike

Boolit Mold
    Fishing is my #1 passion besides shooting. Fly fisher who loves tying his own flies. I agree the weather was better in late March / early April for Trout than it is now. Tight Lines to all!

Banned

I haven't yet but after I get my fishing license it'll be on the top of the list to do with our son. The Mississloppy is still pretty high.

Boolit Mold
    Almost ready. Im still waiting for the new fishing waders that I ordered on Amazon. My old waders keeps leaking that I had to buy a new one. If anyone is also looking to buy new waders, you should visit this website.
    Last edited by cgreene; 08-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Went out fishing on Wednesday and yesterday on the Miss. River with my canoe and got some channel cats , sheephead and some bluegills , eating size is what I have brought home, nothing for size to talk about , just food.

I usually take the kayak out on the lake a few times a week for the last hour of daylight and fish the shoreline with light tackle for bass and sunfish. Six pound test and a small shad colored crankbait and I'll catch a few bass every evening up to about two pounds but typical is about a pound. A big bluegill or green sunfish can also be a lot of fun. I am always surprised when I catch something not much bigger than my lure.

Went fishing on the 9/22 and got some 22 bluegills, 2 faltheads , 1 channel cat , 7 sheephead, 3 yellow perch , 1 red horse sucker ,I got them on the Mississippi River use my canoe. I call it the year now for fishing for how it looks since hunting season is open now and deer season next month. and then trapping in Nov.

Here in Florida, we fish year round and there are no closed freshwater seasons. The fish of all species are generally plentiful, but from where I fish the snakeheads have had an impact on LMB, so I take and kill/eat a LOT of snakeheads every year.

Saltwater has become a different animal with size limits, notch size / daily bag limits, all because the commercial fishermen had no restraint and killed hundreds of millions of small (like dolphin/dorado) fish. The recreational fishermen were just as bad. They filled their sport cruisers to the hilt with fish they had no intention of eating and sold them at the dock and to restaurants. I stopped saltwater fishing 15 years ago.
    Regards,

Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12