MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conical boolits for ROA and other 45 BP revolvers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Here’s my 195 grn bullet design:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-195C-D.png

Things I’ll be modifying is to lengthen the base that easily inserts into the chamber. Not that I have to be really careful but I’ve wasted a few with them tilting while loading. Now I want more base.
    Good design! I just wanted something bit heavier. As for loading, I am not counting on revolver lever. Since we are talking about larger boolit, I think that the only way to press this bigger boolit properly into cylinder is to use some sort of press with stand, on which cylinder could be placed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylloader.70.s.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	259958

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I have no experience, but it seems to me one of the reason with conicals not shooting well in the old army is not getting them started straight. The same problem muzzleloaders can have. The advantage a muzzleloader has is a chamfered muzzle crown, which the old army has a sharp edged cylinder. My own thinking is that you need something that will self center, which is why a ball shoots so good. The O ring idea could work, but it seems to me that you could do the same thing with the soft lead and save the money. Keep the hollow base, and keep the rebated section, but replace that lube groove with a rounded or tapered drive band. Something as large as .457" should start as easy as a ball since the bearing surface is so small. That should center the back half, but the front half is still loose. I kind of like your tapered nose idea, but I think it would work better if the taper was backwards.
    This is how setup will look when boolit is placed on ROA cylinder prior to pressing into chamber:

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Good design! I just wanted something bit heavier. As for loading, I am not counting on revolver lever. Since we are talking about larger boolit, I think that the only way to press this bigger boolit properly into cylinder is to use some sort of press with stand, on which cylinder could be placed:

Name:	cylloader.70.s.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	259958
    Yeah, I created it figuring my 2013 NMA was going to have the slower 1:30” twist. Nope. 1:16” like my ROA. I created that design to basically maximize the projectile while keeping it about the right length for the slow twist.

I’m not so sure they’d need a press. For myself it needs to be functional as is. I wouldn’t want to carry all of that with me to be able to shoot, though of course an additional cylinder could always be carried.

I had also created a 245 grn modified version, but didn’t order a mold for it. Seeing what I’ve seen with both pistols a universal bullet could be made to fill the excess in the chambers, though I’ve considered deepening the Ruger’s chambers, which would give me a longer bullet. A single mold for both guns sounds good to me. And I’ve roughly estimated a 210-230 grn bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Yeah, I created it figuring my 2013 NMA was going to have the slower 1:30” twist...
    Sorry, not familiar with above. Is that some sort of muzzle loading single shot pistol, or rifle? Bought or built?

Boolit Master

That loading device is pretty cool. Much heavier then the one I bought 20 odd yrs ago. Clamped to the top of my guncart, I might start Cowboy Shooting again. With a pair of Remington C&B clones.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    If there is no enough interest for one of those ROA proposed designs, I will ask Miha to clip the top of Webley 455 mold for about .150":

The only issue is I will have to think about simple tool to make base rebated dia for centering in cylinder. Hope simple bushing with stepped hole should do the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP42 View Post
    Are you talking about this:

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...f-01a2d16ba04f

Just 170 grains, very small meplat, no HB. OK for plinking and smaller game. I am looking something that could be used for wild boar if necessary.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, not familiar with above. Is that some sort of muzzle loading single shot pistol, or rifle? Bought or built?
    Sorry. I was vague. NMA stands for New Model Army, which is the Remington 1858 that is actually an 1863.

cdn images

I got the Pietta 2013 Sheriff’s model on the bottom.

Boolit Buddy
    Blessed and happy Easter!

Her is my (rough, unfinished) idea for a loading press:

Using CarrLane toggle clamp CLM-200-PC/CL-200-PC Series (850 lbs) https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/produ...lbs/clm-200-pc

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe make it so the mechanism can function on a slide to adjust for some different cylinder heights if needed?
    It could also be used them to optimize compression equally among cylinders as the mechanism will bottom out once you set the height and load appropriate

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastikosmd View Post
    Maybe make it so the mechanism can function on a slide to adjust for some different cylinder heights if needed?
    It could also be used them to optimize compression equally among cylinders as the mechanism will bottom out once you set the height and load appropriate
    With 3 set of holes, 1/2" apart, combined with thread inside plunger, I guess cylinders for all BP revolvers could be covered:

Boolit Bub
    You could just put a adjustable stop on the plunger

Boolit Buddy

Name:	DD-PUK-ROA-II-1045_WEB_PROF.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	260298
    No this one, it is 210 gr RNFP
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Buddy

Blessed and happy Easter!

Her is my (rough, unfinished) idea for a loading press:

Using CarrLane toggle clamp CLM-200-PC/CL-200-PC Series (850 lbs) https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/produ...lbs/clm-200-pc
    Something like this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP42 View Post

Name:	DD-PUK-ROA-II-1045_WEB_PROF.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	260298
    No this one, it is 210 gr RNFP
    That's IMO better. However, as I mentioned, would like to have opportunity to have hollow base (HB).

Boolit Buddy

The Lee 456-220-1R mould is a heeled boolit for the precussion revolvers. Just cast some yesterday out of pure lead [mine weigh about 215 gr] the heel is .450 dia by about 3/16 in lg to start straight in the cylinder and the driving bands forward are .456. They have a little over a 1/8 in flat on top. This was a new mould and after smoking it the bullets literally just fell out, had to drop them on a double up towel to keep from damaging them, really soft, should have no problem shaving the sides as they are seated to seal the chamber. Can fill lube grooves or use a lubed felt wad underneath.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Something like this?

Looks good. This design is simpler, better than mine, I like it. Did you put any kind of steel or bronze bushing in aluminum block? What is the clamp size/capacity used?

My suggestion; make more and offer to others, I am confident shooter will like it.

Boolit Buddy

Looks good. This design is simpler, better than mine, I like it. Did you put any kind of steel or bronze bushing in aluminum block? What is the clamp size/capacity used?

My suggestion; make more and offer to others, I am confident shooter will like it.
    I didn't build it. Some guy on another forum did. He manufactured a bunch and sold them there. Failed to deliver on some and disappeared.
    There's a bronze bushing in the aluminum block. Also a ball bearing detent to hold it in the up position. It also converts to a wad cutter.
    I bought it second hand on the bay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12