Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Cooling Arbors While Neck Turning

Boolit Master

Cooling Arbors While Neck Turning

I am forming 260Rem from virgin military surplus 308 cases. A test indicates that I will need to turn the necks down about .003" to make sure the cases have sufficient clearance for extraction. (It's a semi-auto rifle.)

Doing this causes the arbor of the K&M tool to overheat unless I let the tool cool off between cases.

Many moons ago, my 'smith sold me a couple aerosol cans of a coolant (and possibly lubricant) that really worked. Naturally, I'm out of it and cannot remember the name. Doing a search I came up with four aerosols that look like they might work:

Wahl Blade Coolant Lubricant
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAHL-Blade-...z/174094211892

Zep Lubeze
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...ol-can-12-cans

Cool Tool II
    https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/coiicuandtaf1.html

Miller Stephanson Freeze Spray
    https://www.zoro.com/miller-stephens...eature-product

The last one, the Miller Stephanson, *looks* like how I remember the can looking.

Does anyone here use coolant in an aerosol can and, if so, can you recommend any of these products (or one that I did not find)?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Oster Kool Lube could have been what you used.

Boolit Master
    Kool lube is a remarkable product. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with that!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Kool lube is a remarkable product. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with that!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I'll give that one a try, also.

Cheers, Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Moderator Emeritus
    Are you sure your cutter is sharp and installed correctly? I can’t imagine how cutting .003 off a brass case neck would heat up anything. How long does it take to trim a neck?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Are you sure your cutter is sharp and installed correctly? I can’t imagine how cutting .003 off a brass case neck would heat up anything. How long does it take to trim a neck?
    The arbor doesn't turn with the case. The heat is from the friction between the arbor an the neck. K&M recommends Imperial Sizing Wax on the arbor.

https://kmshooting.com/wp-content/up...dia_pdf_97.pdf

The video is using graphite. Imperial Sizing Wax works way better.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-14-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The arbor doesn't turn with the case. The heat is from the friction between the arbor an the neck. K&M recommends Imperial Sizing Wax on the arbor.

https://kmshooting.com/wp-content/up...dia_pdf_97.pdf

The video is using graphite. Imperial Sizing Wax works way better.

Dry neck lube. I had not seen that before. I'll order some asap.

Thank you, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Cutter seems to be fine. I use a power screwdriver with my K&M case holder, so the mandrel and case neck tend to get hot after several cases.

I need to clean the inside of the necks (the cases are once-fired and I just noticed they're fairly dirty) and try some of the dry lube that M-Tecs recommended. I've used Imperial lube before, and it works but then I have to clean the lube from inside the neck so powder doesn't stick while charging the cases.

Thank you,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Motor mica can be used also. I just lube the case mouth on the case with a light touch of the mouth on the tin of imperial sizing die wax. Works for the mandrel and also to improve the finish. A simple bar of Ivory soap also will work just touch case mouth and turn. Or it can be dissolved into a paste and used.

For brass a lot will work but the molybdenum dry lubes may impregnate into the case neck and or mandrel.

The dry neck lube is powdered graphite in some ceramic(?) balls. I like it for bottlenecked cases. You could make something similar with dry graphite in shotgun shot.

The sizing wax makes more sense to me.