Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help with 45/70 mold

Boolit Buddy

Help with 45/70 mold

Looking at the Accurate Mold 46-410L does any one have experience with this mold? I was sent some bullets by a forum member here, when lubed they weight 415grn they look like Accurate mold mentioned above. Trying to find this mold, or someone with experience with it. For a Marlin 1895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B72C27E-6CBA-4EBC-8AF2-1CF53910E863.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	259396
    Last edited by sfcairborne; 03-30-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Got it to attach, this is the one I’m looking for

Boolit Master

That bullet appears to be from the Lee 457-405 mold. It would be a wonderful 45-70 bullet if it cast large enough in the body and the nose fits your bore. I have that mold and it does not fit my 1895 45-70 nor that of a friends rifle. Mine cast a .457 bullet, as it says, which is too small for a Marlin and the nose on mine as I remember is too big to chamber. With Lee you pays your money and takes your chances.
    Tom, in his Accurate molds catalog, has in my opinion much better designs in that weight range for your rifle. The Lee bullet is a bore ride design and therefore the nose had to be the perfect diameter. A round-front bullet doesn't have such restrictions. A friend and I both shoot one of Tom's 405 grain 45-70 bullets and it fits and shoots wonderfully, both in Marlin 1895's. I don't have the design number as my friend owns the mold but I can get it for you id you like.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Please the info would be great. Been looking at the accurate site so many designs. I’ve got a NOE 405 a Mihec 350 Hp and a 460 grn mold. All size 460. Just looking for another mold.

Boolit Master
    Silly question: What are the bore and groove depths for your Marlin? Have you slugged the bore and measured? You will need these measurements if you are going to order a proper fitting mold from anyone, not just Tom at Accurate.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds bad, but I have not. Been sizing to 460 and getting great results/groups with my 405 grain with no leading. Alloy is 50/50

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    Silly question: What are the bore and groove depths for your Marlin? Have you slugged the bore and measured? You will need these measurements if you are going to order a proper fitting mold from anyone, not just Tom at Accurate.
    Not necessarily. If a bore ride mold, yes you would. If a bullet with a nose that Tom will refer to as a "Marlin nose" the bore diameter doesn't matter. As long as it will drop a bullet of at least .460 all will be well.
    Rick

Boolit Master

I should mention that Tom can duplicate the bullet you have there. Then you would need your bore dimension because it is a bore-ride design. Specify the body to drop .460 with your alloy and nose diameter to "snugly" fit your bore.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thank you.

Boolit Master

We are using Tom's 46-405DG bullet. We spec'd the bullet at .460 on the driving bands and .458 on the small driving band on the nose. The last batch I cast is with 20-1 alloy and they weigh about 398 grains. Fit and accuracy in our rifles is excellent. He pushes his to about 1,600 fps with 5744 powder but I don't enjoy that much recoil.
    I guess I should ask about when your rifle was manufactured? Mine is from 2007 as I recall and his is a little later.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    My rifle is fairly new I bought it in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    That bullet appears to be from the Lee 457-405 mold. It would be a wonderful 45-70 bullet if it cast large enough in the body and the nose fits your bore. I have that mold and it does not fit my 1895 45-70 nor that of a friends rifle. Mine cast a .457 bullet, as it says, which is too small for a Marlin and the nose on mine as I remember is too big to chamber. With Lee you pays your money and takes your chances.
    That's odd... I have Lee's 457-340 which I believe is essentially the same bullet as the 405 from the crimp groove to the tip of the nose--from the crimp groove to the base, the 405 is a bit longer and it has an extra lube groove. The 457-450 has the MUCH longer nose than the 340 or 405.

I shoot mine in a 1895 Cowboy all the time with zero issues... well, zero issues anymore. Tumble lubing or running them through my lubrisizer gave me terrible leading and accuracy no matter what alloy or lube I used. I started powder coating them and push through sizing at .458" and they're accurate as anything else and the barrel is clean as a whistle.