Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Baking them in a screen basket, NOT standing up.

Boolit Buddy

Baking them in a screen basket, NOT standing up.

I don't like to having to handle each individual boolit, sitting them upright on a baking pan.

I have heard that there are powders that can be baked onto the boolits on a screen tray like Hi-Tek is done and not stick to the screen nor do the boolits stick to each other.

Do any of you have a technique and powder selection for doing this?

Thanks,
    Rocky
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

I have tried this very thing as I do .225 bullets sometimes. Does not work for me. Leaves the surface rough and will likely affect accuracy at long range.

Boolit Mold
    for pistol it works fine, rifle i would stand them up only because i would like
    a thicker coat on rifle.
    it works better with a full basket as there are fewer touching the
    basket and more stacked on top of each other. for some reason lead on lead
    doesn't seem to stick as much and gives less flaws that you can get off wire mesh.
    also mixed powders, speckled, dont show flaws as much as a solid gloss will.
    i do about 900, 14 pounds. 9mm at a time. i use a thin coat.
    i use range scrap, iced bucket dropped. 14 bhn.
    i have made about 15,000 so far and my g17 realy likes them.
    look up Whistler Sweden video. https://downrangevideos.com/2018/04/...e-fastest-way/
    i use his method and it works well.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I stumbled upon something I may make to sell, would work best for gas checked designs. What cal are you working with.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockydoc View Post
    I don't like to having to handle each individual boolit, sitting them upright on a baking pan.

I have heard that there are powders that can be baked onto the boolits on a screen tray like Hi-Tek is done and not stick to the screen nor do the boolits stick to each other.

Do any of you have a technique and powder selection for doing this?

Thanks,
    Rocky
    I'm with you, mate. I do the shake, dump and bake method and although some of the boolits will stick to each other and the wire mesh, a couple of whacks with my sprue cutting stick breaks everything apart. The boolits shoot just fine.

Oh, and using Smokes PC powder.

Boolit Master

+1 on the above with smoke's pc powder.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I keep hearing this "They Shoot Just Fine" but just because they go bang doesn't prove anything. Has anyone taken these dumped bullets and done a Ransom Rest test?

Until then I will just keep standing mine up because I have a bunch of PC loads that easily group under 1-1/2" at 25 yards. If it is not accurate for me it's not worth the powder & primer to send it down range.

Boolit Master

I do dump and bake and for cowboy shooting they are great (see--didn't use "fine")

I only put in one layer, though. Keeps the problem of bullets sticking together down to a minimum
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    never could get a nice smooth bullet doing the wire basket thing. I always stand them on a silicon baking mat. But then I don"t need 2000 bullets a month either so one at a time works for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I keep hearing this "They Shoot Just Fine" but just because they go bang doesn't prove anything. Has anyone taken these dumped bullets and done a Ransom Rest test?

Until then I will just keep standing mine up because I have a bunch of PC loads that easily group under 1-1/2" at 25 yards. If it is not accurate for me it's not worth the powder & primer to send it down range.
    If they'll stay within 2" at 25 yds, that's 'just fine' with me. That's accurate enough for any practical purpose that I have.

Boolit Buddy
    i stand my bullets up. they give me better accurate with the better coverage on the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post

I only shake and bake and dump I do 3-500 at a time, yes they do leave buggers on the bullets and bare spots and so on but aside from looking ugly they shoot EXTREMELY well. No I have not used a randsom rest but I do get results like this out of my TC compass at a chronoed 2300fps and have killed a lot of deer with it, all bang flops other then one that ran maybe 20 yards
    Attachment 259473

With PC, as far as I know, all powders will cause them to stick together. HT coating can be done this way but PC not so much for me anyway.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I've only used Harbor Freight powder, and with them laying haphazardly in the basket, I get 2 5/8MOA out of my Marlin 1894S going about 1500fps. I assume they actually shoot about 1MOA or less, but I have a wicked flier from my action opening upon recoil.

No matter what bullet I use, I get a small group with a flier. Until I get a gunsmith to fit the locking bolt, that is as good as I'm going to get.

I did stand up my 45-70 bullets, and they shot about the same with iron sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    I stumbled upon something I may make to sell, would work best for gas checked designs. What cal are you working with.
    .357/38
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master
    I have no gas checked hand gun bullet molds, since I PC they would just be an added expense with dubious rewards.

Boolit Mold
    this is about 800, 13 pounds of 356-125-2R from a 6 cavity.
    shake and bake, on wire mesh. all in one batch.
    pic is after sizing to .356.
    powder is mix of polyester. purple, yellow, red and clear. makes a nice harvest gold look.
    as for accuracy, i shoot the base of shotgun hulls, on the ground at 15 feet.
    keeps me sharp for rabbits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200403_054937 (2).jpg