RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 327 Federal Magnum, .315 size cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy

327 Federal Magnum, .315 size cast boolits?

Toying with the idea of getting a .315 size die for my Ruger single 7 in 327.
    Has anyone tried theirs with .315 size cast.
    Currently using a .314 but these all slip in pretty easy in my cylinder throats.
    Haven't seen one hole accuracy yet like I want to.
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master

No reason it won't work, as long as your chambers are not overly tight.

My gp100 will average between 3" and 4" off of a rest at 50 yards. No doubt better accuracy can be attained, but I do not believe some claims I've seen of 1/2" consistent groups.

Boolit Master

What do your throats measure?

Even if, perfectly sized you may never see single hole accuracy. Not to be harsh, but are YOU able to shoot single hole accuracy? I’m a 35+ year Bullseye shooter who has held Master Classifications and I cannot.

Mine both shoot VERY well with .314 cast. Mine shoot 6 ish inches @ 50 yards off hand. Maybe 4 ish off a benches rest.

That’s damn fine shooting for any commercially manufacturers hand gun.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Good to hear the responses to the OP. My Single Seven throats measure .315 also when checked with plug gauges. I've been meaning to try powder coat to get cast boolits to at least .314. I shouldn't worry about it because, as cwlongshot said, most cannot shoot that well anyway and I'm worse than most. As they say, Too soon old, too late smart.

I worried about the large throats because of the "rule of thumb" that boolits should fit the throat. I just get too many things going on at the same time. Several here tried to help me out by sending samples of their boolits. Most were powder coated but I haven't had time to try them. I did buy a mold but if I crimp in the crimp groove the OAL is too long for the cylinder. I'm going to watch this thread for clues to what might work in my gun.

BTW, commercial ammunition does work well with jacketed bullets. I just don't want to have to buy ammo.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    You may have too bell the cases a lot to get a .315 to start before seating them. I settled on .313 (NOE sizer) as about the largest I could use. Funny thing is, a Ruger single six .32 H&R needs sizing to .311 to get good accuracy
    Loren
    Last edited by rockshooter; 03-30-2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: missed paren

Boolit Master

Yea the delightful lil S7’s have a shorter cylinder.

But I haven’t had any problems just seatbto the PAL that’s required.

I even loaded Lyman 311440 150g RN bullets into 327 cases and shot them in the revolver. They shoot pretty well too!!

I bought a accurate mold 31-135s It’s a 135g WFN designed for the RUGER S7. It too shoots real well. The RCBS 98 SWC needs to be seated to the top of the DB in 327 cases. But still shoots just fine. 311008 loads fine to the top of its lil band.

OR load and shoot H&R cases. Guess ya could even trim 327 brass lil shorter and crimp where ya like.

If 314 wont fall thru your cylinders you should be fine. 313 mostly fall thru mine. But 314 will not fall thru. A few push thru easier than others. But as I said these guns are very accurate and I'm more than happy at rolling a softball every time out at 60 yards. I can hit what ever I shoot at with these revolvers. I won’t need even 50 yard accuracy. For me they are trail/walking light defense firearms. In this role they will accelerate with there ability to shoot lessor chamberings I just picked up a 98WC mold and look forward to loads I can create for it. No worries now about OAL and that 32WC has a massive MEPLAT!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I am running a fast fire type red dot on my single 7.
    I have some other revolvers set up this way and have fired
    groups at 100 yards of 3 to 5 inches for 6 shots.

I hope my single 7 will do like wise.
    I don't have any pin gauges, but like cwlongshot says about his
    my .314 sized bullets will enter my cylinder throats but not push through easily.
    I need to reshoot by best efforts to date again which were 2400 and AA9, I did
    not have the red dot on it when I shot these.
    Would love to see 1'' at 25 and 4 or 5 at 100.
    I enjoy playing at longer ranges, the time between a bang and and a bong is lots of fun.

I too have the accurate mold 31-135 made for the single 7 cylinders, mine casts about .3155 or .316 from
    ACWW's.

I think I will shoot it some more with the .314 sizer I have before paying 48.00 for a Buffalo arms custom .315

Thanks for all the replies, look forward to reading more.

Boolit Buddy
    My group sizes that I said I had shot above were all rested from a bench, just checking
    what the gun will do, you can double or more, those sizes from off hand..........just saying