Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: .32 S&W Long Wadcutter Loads for H&R 733

Boolit Buddy

.32 S&W Long Wadcutter Loads for H&R 733

I have an H&R Model 733 double action revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long. It was manufactured in the early 1970s. It is a solid frame, swing-out cylinder design.

I have 85 grain DEWCs from Matt's Bullets cast in what appears to be a discontinued Lee tumble lube mold.

I would like to load "full power" wadcutters. Not looking to hotrod the gun but I'm looking for something that will approximate the MV of the factory 98 grain LRN with a more effective profile. Powders I currently have in stock include Alliant Bulleseye, Unique, and Red Dot, and Hodgdon Universal and HP-38.

I am aware that wadcutters take up more space in the case and that can cause pressures to spike if seated too deeply. I am not averse to seating them long, i.e., to the same length as the factory LRN bullets.

I checked in the Lee Modern Reloading Manual 2nd Ed. and on Loaddata.com but I'm not seeing any useful data for this bullet and the powders I have on hand.

I was hoping that someone else has used this bullet and has some suggestions.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would seat out to 1.20" OAL and load 2.0-2.2 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, or 2.5 grains of HP38 or 3 grains of Unique.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I was hoping you'd chime in. Thank you! I will give this a try.

Boolit Buddy
    I would agree, 3 grains of Unique. Can't really hotrod loads in this gun but this should work good for a 5 foot (belly shot) load.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not know the size of your cylinder throats or bullets, but make sure when seated long that the wadcutters chamber freely before making a large batch. If they chamber too “freely” make sure you have a decent match between cylinder throat size and bullet size.

When seated to standard wadcutter depths 2 grains Bullseye gets around 700-720 fps with a 98 grain RCBS wadcutter and Red Dot goes slightly faster. Given the 32 has surprisingly high velocity variation with more shallowly seated bullets, to my surprise anyway, there is a practical limit to seating a lightweight bullet out past a certain point.

A sort of point of diminishing returns, I would say.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I would seat out to 1.20" OAL and load 2.0-2.2 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, or 2.5 grains of HP38 or 3 grains of Unique.
    98g RCBS and Red dot at 2.5g has been good in my guns.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-30-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I do not know the size of your cylinder throats or bullets, but make sure when seated long that the wadcutters chamber freely before making a large batch. If they chamber too “freely” make sure you have a decent match between cylinder throat size and bullet size.

When seated to standard wadcutter depths 2 grains Bullseye gets around 700-720 fps with a 98 grain RCBS wadcutter and Red Dot goes slightly faster. Given the 32 has surprisingly high velocity variation with more shallowly seated bullets, to my surprise anyway, there is a practical limit to seating a lightweight bullet out past a certain point.

A sort of point of diminishing returns, I would say.
    Good point re seating them out and verifying they chamber. Will do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    98g RCBS and Red dot at 2.5g has been good in my guns.

CW

What bullet style and cartridge OAL?

I have a H&R 732 (blued, 2.5") had a 733 that I passed on to my shooting buddy.

I'd have to agree with outpost75.

In mine I love 2 grains of Red Dot.
    Bullet wise I love the Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone. It shoots exactly where I point it both in the H&R and in my Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag.
    (Have only shot .32sw longs in mine thus far)

Shoots a lot like .22lr, low recoil, low flash/muzzle blast, low muzzle flip. Goes right where I point it.

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming you can get 750 ft/s, the graphs below show how effective that 85 grain wadcutter might be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wc-31-85-750.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	259423

The 15 inches of penetration is better than many .38 Special +P JHPs and 15 grams of wound mass is about the same as 9mm FMJ or any non-expanding .38 except a wadcutter. Nothing to sneeze at.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    What bullet style and cartridge OAL?
    It’s a 32 Long. It’s a RCBS 98 WC Mold. It’s a wad cutter bullet style. Seated to crimp groove as designed.

(I have done same in 32 H&R as well as 327, but the OP of this thread asked for 32 long wadcutter load information)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    It’s a 32 Long. It’s a RCBS 98 WC Mold. It’s a wad cutter bullet style. Seated to crimp groove as designed.
    That's even better...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wc-31-98-750.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	259427

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My advise also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread. I have for the last couple of years restricted my 32S&W Long loading to 98-100 grain swc's; other than one fling with 115 grain swc's, that I shared with Larry Gibson. But in looking around in my storage bin I came across a carton of .312" 90 grain hollow base swaged wad cutters. Originally had 500 in it, but appears to be about 300 left. Pleasant surprise finding that. So I am thinking about loading them with about 1.9 grains of Bullseye; since my pet load with the 98-100 grain swc's is 2.1 grains of bullseye. Hopefully it will be a nice accurate load in my 32's.
    Britons shall never be slaves.