Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 32 WIN SPEC mold question

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

32 WIN SPEC mold question

Some years ago I purchased a Ranch Dog 32 WS mold. It was specifically designed and cut for the 32 WS therefore I assumed, (I know NEVER assume) it would cast somewhere in the .321-.323 range so never gave it another thought. I was using a rather hard alloy so when it came time to seat the GCs, size and lube it was a real battle. So much so I was afraid I would break the handle on my Lyman 45 sizer. I made a set up for my old SAS swage press and was able to make it all work, sorta. I noticed the grease grooves got real shallow, sized to .321", but since there was lube in them and I didn't get any leading to speak of when I shot them, I called it good.They shot acceptably well in my M-94 so didn't go any further with load development. I had a couple of hundred ready to load so figured I was good to go.

Recently an acquaintance wanted to use that bullet in one of his Schuetzen rifles so I cast up a batch using a much softer alloy.

Long story short, I couldn't get the Lyman GCs to fit on many of the bullets and when I did get them to fit I still couldn't size them in the Lyman 45. Broke out the old SAS press but the bullet was so soft, they would compress in length before they would go through the size die. Finally after all these years it dawned on me that perhaps the "as cast" diameter was a bit off. Yeah, I'm a bit slow on the draw. Sure enough, miked a grab sample of ten bullets and found them to be an average, .3265".

So my question is: What do I do with this mold? I suppose if someone were to cast for an 8MM, sizing to .323"-.324" it would probably be doable but I have no desire to even begin with the 8MM. I have way too much other stuff I'd rather do.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I use .323 in my 3 Marlins in 32 Spcl, I have used .324' but .323 is just a little better. Getting to .323 from .3265 is hard without distorting the bullet. Size less for your .32's or find an 8x52 Siamese Mauser or some other older military rifle that can use a .3265. I have an RCBS 32-170-FN, their are other molds that work very well in the 32 Spcl. Accurate Molds and NOE make a few, and there a 2 or 3 Lyman numbers for the 32 Special. It is easier to find another mold than to shrink oversize bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Hang on to it....the day will come when you need a .326 boolit and ...There You Go .
    Actually most older 32 Special lever action rifles are worn in the bore and just about need a fatter than normal boolit to get any accuracy with cast .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Get another brand of gc and slug your bore. You might do a lot better with minimal sizing. Also get a throat impact done.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.