Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Cute little Ideal 32-165 mold

Boolit Master

Cute little Ideal 32-165 mold

I picked up this cute little mold a while back thinking I could use it for. 32-40. You can see how small it is compared to a modern Lyman single cavity mold. I cast some bullets with it today. Comparing them to bullets from a 32-40 Ideal tong tool mold on the left (31944 mold), these have a longer nose. Looking at some old Ideal catalogs, I think this may be a 321232 for the 32 Winchester Special. But the catalog claims this is a 170gr bullet, .3225" diameter. But these weigh 160gr with my 20-1 alloy. The mold is only marked "Ideal 32-165". What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200329_183831_copy_907x1612.jpg   20200329_190259_copy_907x1013.jpg   20200329_184728_copy_663x705.jpg  

Banned
    It's pre 1926 production.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    It's pre 1926 production.
    Thanks - that's a good data point.

Looks like a 32 win spl boolit to me.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Looks like a 32 win spl boolit to me.
    Thanks, that does seem the most likely candidate.

BTW, I noticed your signature line about the .44 Evan's long. Many years ago I had 3 Evan's rifles. I had a custom mold made duplicating an original factory bullet, and custom loading dies made. I even found an original mold. One if them I shot quite a bit. It was a blast to shoot and was surprisingly accurate with the original style bullet. I wrote an article about them for The Black Powder Report magazine back in 1985. Way back then, almost no one shot BPCRs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it’s stamped 185, not 165. There were a couple of 32 Special as well as 32-40 moulds in that size range. Also, it looks like the sprue plate is marked Ideal RECHAMBERED? Is this correct?

How is it marked on the block itself? The definitive mark would be the one on the block as sprue plates are easily changed. The bullet on the left looks like a 319389, if I remember my numbers correctly... a modification of the Hudson bullet for Schuetzen competitions in 32-40; but that should run more like 185 grains.

Froggie

PS just enlarged the picture, it says “New Haven, Conn”. I go back to the left bullet looking like the nominal 185 gr Hudson or one of its variants. With the proper lead-rich alloy it should weigh 185 grains though.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Looks like it’s stamped 185, not 165. There were a couple of 32 Special as well as 32-40 moulds in that size range. Also, it looks like the sprue plate is marked Ideal RECHAMBERED? Is this correct?

How is it marked on the block itself? The definitive mark would be the one on the block as sprue plates are easily changed. The bullet on the left looks like a 319389, if I remember my numbers correctly... a modification of the Hudson bullet for Schuetzen competitions in 32-40; but that should run more like 185 grains.

Froggie

PS just enlarged the picture, it says “New Haven, Conn”. I go back to the left bullet looking like the nominal 185 gr Hudson or one of its variants. With the proper lead-rich alloy it should weigh 185 grains though.
    The sprue plate is marked "Ideal MFG Co New Haven CT. U.S.A" and "32-165". There are no other marks on the blocks.

The bullet on the left is from an Ideal tong tool mold. The tool is marked .32-40M. I may be mistaken on the number. That is just a guess since it is not marked. The bullets are about. 323", 163.5gr. I'm looking at a 1929 Ideal catalog, but dont see a 319389 mold.

Banned
    Is there a screw on the left side to lock the sprue plate pivot screw? I cannot quite tell from the picture. If not, then it is an original Ideal, 1st gen mould made prior to 1902.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Is there a screw on the left side to lock the sprue plate pivot screw? I cannot quite tell from the picture. If not, then it is an original Ideal, 1st gen mould made prior to 1902.
    There is no locking screw. The sprue plate screw has a shoulder that sets the clearance. There is no way to tighten it to account for wear short of reducing the shoulder height a few thousandths on a lathe. The plate is little loose, but not so much as to cause flashing at the bullet's base. So it must be pre-1902. Very cool - thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    The bullet on the left in the O.P.'s pic is No.319247, which was the "standard" bullet for .32-40 beginning with Handbook No.16 (1904). The bullet on the right, "32-165", was listed in Ideal handbooks from No.1 (1891) through No.16 (1904) and beginning in Handbook No.9 (1897) was identified as No.31944. Both are shown to weigh 165 grains, and suitable for the .32-40 cartridge.

Jim

Boolit Master

Thanks Jim. The bullet on the right would work in a single shot .32-40, but not in a lever action M94. It would have to be seated very deep to keep within max OA length to cycle in the action. It does seem better suited to the slightly shorter 32 Winchester Special. Bug I can see how it could work for both.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fat fingers... I should have typed 319289. I've only cast a few thousand of them for Schuetzen!

Looking at that picture and one of a a 319247, I'm back on the same page with you. I agree that the bullet on the right looks like a 321232 for the 32 Win Spl, but it's way too light. BTW, those early Ideal moulds are a joy to use, they heat up fast and if you keep your rhythm right they will just keep dropping beautiful bullets. I didn't have a listing of that 31944 that Jim mentioned. I find that I do better with slightly heavier (175-185 grain) bullets in my 32-40s, but have never owned a 32 WS, so have no experience to go by.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

Very nice.......I collect those old Ideal moulds!

Boolit Master

This one casts a very nice bullet. But it is a little sticky getting them to drop from the mold. I also have an early 319261 hollow point mold. But haven't cast with it yet.

Try cleaning the mould with a piece of lead remover cloth like the Birchwood Casey stuff. I just learned this trick with iron moulds , Steve Brooks puts this method in his instructions for his moulds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Try cleaning the mould with a piece of lead remover cloth like the Birchwood Casey stuff. I just learned this trick with iron moulds , Steve Brooks puts this method in his instructions for his moulds.
    Never heard of that trick - thanks.

I have several moulds from him and he always sends sample bullets from your mould that he cast before sending out. I always pay attention to what he says, Paul Jones was another who always provided sample bullets and instructions. The lead remover cloth is new in Steve’s instructions and have tried it in a sticky Money Bullet mould and it works well, I make the right size tooth pick to push the cloth into the crevices and vent lines.It sure makes them clean.