Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contaminated Unique??

That reminds me:

In elementary school, there was a drawing/picture in a text book of Indians farming.
    It showed them burying a fish, and planting corn seeds on top of it.

I think I'll try that with a spoon full of the small amount of 'left over' IMR I have ended up with.

Another thing I remember about gardening:
    When my first father in law retired, he had a small garden patch in their yard with a fence around it.
    When we visited one time, I'd lean on one particular fence post,
    and spit Red Man 'juice' at the base of one of his plants when he wasn't looking, while he fiddled around in there.

Later on, the (then) wife told me he couldn't figure out why, but one of his eggplant bushes made eggplants the size of a foot ball.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-30-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere that a guy was using various mixed powders to fire-form cases. Apparently, he was starting at 3 grains and adjusting as needed. Opinions???
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I never buy used or unsealed powder. Even if handed a full lot of unknown powder I would dump it.

OTOH, if I had access to precision tools, like a bomb calorimeter, chamber pressure test equipment, and lab quality chronograph, then I would take a 100lb load and determine the burn characteristics, and proper loads (anything less than 100lb would not be worth the trouble).

Boolit Master
    Well one powder that anyone won't be saving is the cordite used in loading 303 British. I was given some 700 rounds of WWII and post war MKVII ball ammo. Pulled the bullets,used tweezers to get the jute wad out and enough sticks of cordite out to let the others fall out. I've heard about the cordite being a hot burning powder and how erosive it was. Let me tell you it burns very hot and very quick unconfined like in a small pile. Had the hose ready. Less than a pound. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I read somewhere that a guy was using various mixed powders to fire-form cases. Apparently, he was starting at 3 grains and adjusting as needed. Opinions???
    It's outside most people's comfort zone, but being careful, start low like that, creep the charge up slowly,
    no reason it wouldn't work with a wax or hot glue slug
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago, I was a range officer at a local gun shop that ran bullseye matches. One of the shop employees that cleaned the range ,being an indoor range, would sweep the floor of unburned powder and put it a can. He called it "Blasto" . I don't recall what he used it for,but I have a good idea . In any case , after he mentioned that,I started to collect my spilled powder, unknown powder from tear downs and any powder from unknown places in an old metal powder can. After all these years, I still have that can that is about half full. I am getting to old to foolishly try to blow up a log of something with it so I will just dump it on my rose bushes.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    .My cousin never throws away that dump powder.
    He always uses it in a milsurp rifle with a couple grain load and a round ball.
    Works for him.
    I have too much Bullseye and titewad left to use for that .

Boolit Master
    how much of this do you have? as far back as I remember all the Hercules dot powders, herco and unique have always been flake powders. no sticks tubes rods balls or anything else like that in them. me personally would not take the chance. god only gave you 8 fingers two thumbs and two eyes and its best to do whatever you can to keep them intact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12