WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingPBcastco
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited overtime

Boolit Master

Unlimited overtime

I fortunate to be able to work during the COVID 19 problems. Ammo sales seem to only be limitedd to what you can make. I'm not turning down any OT right now. I ended up with 38 hours OT this week. Just have to stay off the "for sale" threads.........

Boolit Master
    You gotta make hay while the sun is shining!

I am self employed and my projects have all been put on hold. Consequently, there is absolutely nothing to do. I have worked from my home office for 38 years so being at home is not unusual for me.
    I am working on updating my database of every Law Firm in New England to prepare for when the economy bounces back.
    I am making use of some of the time by stacking wood for next winter's use (total coming 6 cords), cleaning the barn and reloading. Just to keep things changing, I'll stack wood one afternoon, and hit the man cave the next afternoon. If the weather allows, some yard work thrown in for fun. The garden still hasn't been touched yet.
    It occurred to me that this must be like retirement is like (said this still-working 71 year old). I could get used to this!
    I am loading 2000 357's, cast with an H&G #51 gas check, all sized and lubed and in the process of loading as we speak.
    12.5 grains WW296 with the above bullet. Max is something like 14.4 so it is NOT a full house load. Very pleasant to shoot.
    That should hold me for a few years.
    After that, I can cast almost any caliber and simply put them into inventory.
    Likewise, I can prep many thousands of 223 and 308 for reloading.
    Staying at home is not all that bad........
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    You gotta make hay while the sun is shining!
    Darn right ! If your physically able suck up all you can
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

Pace yourself. I am on a disability retirement so not all fun and games. I can do about two hours of productive outside work. Learned if I do some hobby stuff, then cleaning, etc. It isn't bad. All work really hurts so you need the break.

Boolit Grand Master

Overtime is nice! I worked a lot of it. 600-1000 hr a year. Get it while you can.

Boolit Master
    I'm just going to ride it while it last. I have spent way too much on single shot rifles. It's nice to put a little money back. I have to be an adult sometimes

Boolit Buddy
    I for one say piss on overtime, Reload, shoot and be with family instead.

Boolit Master
    iam with frosty if you cant make it without ot doing something wrong
    71 and still working not me

I can make it without the OT but while it lasts I’m soaking it up. It’s fun money to me.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Take the OT while you can, never know when you might be out for weeks or months. Work-life balance is important, but you have to think about it over a longer period than a day or a week. Work your butt off now and take a month with the family to go skiing, it all works.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=turtlezx;4863320]iam with frosty if you cant make it without ot doing something wrong
    71 and still working not me[/QUOTE

I don't feel like I did a thing wrong. OT added to my retirement, and it made for a comfortable life style along the way. And I'm not 71 and still working either. OT wasn't really a choice either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty Boolit View Post
    I for one say piss on overtime, Reload, shoot and be with family instead.
    I'm in this boat. OT is nice if you NEED the money, but life is not just about work or money. I'd rather spend time with family and friends, or work at maintaining my property.

I work about 8hrs of OT a month and don't care to have any more than that.

I work a lot of ot. I turn a $60k/yr job into a $110k/ yr job. I’d like to be in a position to retire at 62 (19 years from now). Problem is, healthcare costs are outpacing my retirement. I have a pension, an annuity, a deferred compensation, and an IRA. I’m putting away so much now that I’m not able to see any extra working the ot in hopes of having enough to pay for healthcare. *** is wrong with me?

Boolit Master

I'm also self-employed. My work has slowed dramatically, but there is always work to do around the property. The only question is ' Do I want to do it?'

Boolit Master

The trick is to never live on overtime pay!
    Invest it in your future, in spite of market fluctuations you will be doing the right thing by investing.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The trick is to never live on overtime pay!
    Invest it in your future, in spite of market fluctuations you will be doing the right thing by investing.
    I agree! We lived on my base salary. The OT helped me put the legal max into a 401K plan and build a healthy emergency fund. Along the way it paid for 2 college educations! My boys graduated with no student load debt!

Boolit Master
    The last job I worked was in a tool crib in development. That crib was opened 7 days 2 shifts. Depending on work load fair number of 10 hr days
    and weekends. For me that was 5am to 3pm weekends varied made for a great paycheck
    and jacked up my pension but social life was near non existent. Got a chance to retire at 60 with a cash incentive and took it mainly cause I was just worn out but the $18K "bribe" helped as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I agree! We lived on my base salary. The OT helped me put the legal max into a 401K plan and build a healthy emergency fund. Along the way it paid for 2 college educations! My boys graduated with no student load debt!
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
    We have a year’s post-tax salary in reserve. Everyone should know to save for 3-6 months of expenses...which I didn’t, until I got married, with children.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I work a lot of ot. I turn a $60k/yr job into a $110k/ yr job. I’d like to be in a position to retire at 62 (19 years from now). Problem is, healthcare costs are outpacing my retirement. I have a pension, an annuity, a deferred compensation, and an IRA. I’m putting away so much now that I’m not able to see any extra working the ot in hopes of having enough to pay for healthcare. *** is wrong with me?
    Not a damn thing. You keep doing that while maintaining a life balance. Don't ever expect anyone else to worry about you but yourself. Good for you and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast