MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp

Boolit Buddy

.45 acp

Since I have had excess time on my hands, I decided to do some reloading for my 1911. Have tested several loadings with Red Dot as my propellant of choice. I have settled on the following load:
    Lee 225 gr. (with my alloy of pure lead with 3% tin) Round Nose Bevel Base Boolit, sized to .452. Tumble lubed with LLA.
    Winchester cases.
    Winchester large pistol primers.
    4.8 grains of Red Dot.
    COL is 1.270

Tried a few lighter loads and a few heavier ones, but this is the load that performs to my expectations. This load gives me "minute of saucer" accuracy at 25 yards. I have experienced a little leading with hotter loads, but this load seems to be pretty clean. My 1911 is factory Auto Ordnance G.I. style that I have had since 1990. I tuned the trigger pull to a crisp 3.3 lbs.

Question: What is your favorite cast boolit load in the 1911?

The above load works very well IN MY firearm. You should work up loads cautiously for YOUR firearm. It works for ME, but maybe not for THEE.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

I use the Lyman 452374 for full power loads and the Lee 452-200-rf for light loads.
    Other boolits are the H&G 68 clone from LEE and the Lyman 453460.
    I use several different powders depending on what I am trying to do specifically.
    Bullseye, WST, and Titegroup are the major players for me. WST , especially, gives good accuracy and burns very clean.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input Tazman. I have never used WST, but I will purchase some and try it out as soon as the virus craziness subsides. I have a lot of Red Dot and was trying to find a load that would be accurate and use up some of the RD. Only problem with my load is that it is pretty dirty. WST sounds like a good powder.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

I like the HG68 over 4 grains of Promo. 4.8 seems a little hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    Thanks for the input Tazman. I have never used WST, but I will purchase some and try it out as soon as the virus craziness subsides. I have a lot of Red Dot and was trying to find a load that would be accurate and use up some of the RD. Only problem with my load is that it is pretty dirty. WST sounds like a good powder.
    Data for WST is available online at the Hodgdon data site. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Boolit Master
    I use red dot as well in 45acp , I find it a little dirty to , but I don't mind . I shoot outside . I use a few different stile cast boolits in them one prefers a saeco #130 , another seams to do better with the saeco # 68 , but I always keep a bunch of Lee 230 tc loaded up for my brothers when we get together shooting . Red dot between 4.3-4.8 works well for me + I keep quite a bit on hand for the shot shells .
    I don't mind getting my noise makers dirty as long as the barrel is clean .

Banned
    I like either the Lee 230 gr tumble lube RN or the Lee 200 gr LSWC over 5 gr of Bullseye.

230 gr RN and AA#2

Boolit Master

Thanks, toallmy, for the information. I've got a new Dan Wesson in 1911 style to go with several other 1911's. I've also got a 8 lb jugs of Red Dot and Promo. Since my older son also has a 1911, I've been looking for loads to use these powders.

I've got a 4 cavity mold for the SAECO 130 but haven't loaded it yet. Will have to try it. My #68 molds are MP 4 cavities(2) which look like the SAECO and both look like a copy of the H&G 68. I've had good luck with the #68 in several .45ACP's.
    John
    W.TN

range pickup brass
    ideal/lyman 452374 230gr RN pb powder coated
    5.3gr GreenDot
    CCI large pistol primer

Boolit Master
    I use Promo (load as Red Dot by weight) for 45 ACP in 1911's, G21, G30 and CZ97. I've been up and down the ladder and have settled on Promo 4.5 gr. for 45 ACP 200~230 gr. boolits for best performance. Mine chrony @ 800~830 fps.

Boolit Master

Red Dot was my go to powder until I tried 231 now i just keep it around for 9mm loads
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I like the Lee .452 130 gr truncated cone (6 cavity, also works in my .45 colt)
    Like the OP I like Red Dot.
    4.5 to 5 grains will put them on target. Less than 4.5 gave me sooty cases.

I don't shoot mine much, It is a mid 90s Springfield Armory.
    I got bitten by the .32 bug and they are pretty much at opposite ends of the power curve.
    For me the .45acp takes real intestinal fortitude to shoot. Where the .32's are a joy.

Mostly shooting .32sw long and .32acp in one of those sweet Beretta 81's.

Virtually no recoil, minimal muzzle flip, or blast, no fireballs, and very thrifty with powder and lead.

I also use Red Dot. My go to is Layman 452460 SWC 200gr. with 4.5 gr of Red Dot.

Boolit Master

190gr Lee SWC, 200gr Lee H&G 68 clone and Lee 230gr TC bullet over Bullseye. I have a 2 cav 452-374, but it drops undersized with my alloy so it doesn't get used.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I generally use 4 grains of Bullseye with the Lyman 200 grain mold. Powder coated and sized to 452 and they are very accurate.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Lee 230 grain TL, powder coated, over 4.7 grains of 700X works wonders.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

230gn coated RN bullet.
    Mixed brass.
    4.9/5.0gns Bullseye.
    CCI 300 Lg PP.

I'm just looking to duplicate a standard 'ball' load without any drama. The above combo yields decent accuracy out of several .45s. Four are some flavor of 1911, while one is an old S&W 4566.

Haven't had any issues with this load in any of them, other than the Bullseye seems to dirty them up after a long range session.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 04-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Lyman 452460(200 grain swc) over 5.8 of 231.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Like Tazman, my favorite load is a H&G 68 clone and WST. I first used WST a few years back during the component shortage and it's become my go to for 45 ACP. I use 4.7 grains behind the Arsenal 453 210 Gr. TC – H&G 68. Very accurate and clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast