Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made pasties yesterday

Banned

made pasties yesterday

usually a once a year thing right before deer season so I can bring some to camp but we made a big batch yesterday. Was at the potato farm we do crop damage shooting at the other day and they sent me away with a 200 lbs of potatoes. Now my wife and I cant even go through 50 without them sprouting and going soft so I gave away a gave a bag to my neighbor and two bags to my son in law and kept one. So I talked my wife into a pastie making day (she hates it) Course ground 10lbs of venison and made about 25 pasties and 4 pastie pies. Big problem I have right now is where to put them. Ive got some much food in my freezers that I had to about pound them in to fit them. even then I had 2 pies and 5 pasties that just wouldn't go in so we brought them over to the neighbors. Told the wife that never in my life have I had so much food at one time. Three freezers full and even the freezer about the fridge is stuffed. Canned food pantry is chuck full of baked beans, chilli and spegetti sause along with some jelly and a pile of rice and dry beans. Even broke out a 3lb can of dehydrated eggs. Ive had a 6 can case for about 5 years and never tried them. Now there not fresh eggs by a long shot but there sure eatable. Found out a 3lb can is ALOT of eggs. 6 of them would feed the neighborhood for a year of breakfasts. One tablespoon equals one egg. Don't know how many tablespoons are in a 3lb coffee can sized canned but its ALOT.

Banned

just looked and the can said 60 oz so that equals a 120 tablespoons so a 120 eggs x 6 is 720 eggs

Boolit Master
    You hoarder

Now please tell me what a pastie is.

Boolit Master

I thought only strippers needed pasties
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Did you include rutabaga?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    my wife is from England and they make pasties or pies out of everything

Moderator Emeritus

Locals split two ways, half cover with brown gravy and half add catsup. I have never seen anyone add both. How do you it them in your area?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Banned

you betcha. It aint a pastie without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Did you include rutabaga?

Banned

pastie is a mix of cubed potatoes, rutabaga, carrots and onions and course ground beef or venison that's put on a pie crust and folded over like a calzone and baked in the oven. It was a staple of the minors up here. They varied a bit with contents because it was basically at that time just whatever ma had to throw in them to make them a cheap meal. the Cornish and finnish minors used to take them to work as a lunch. They can be served with ketsup (the proper UP way) or with gravy and even cheese on them. In the US they came from northern Michigan, WI and MN and now you can even find them in florida. Heck theres even gourmet pastie shops where you can get them with about anything inside and even breakfast pasties and desert pasties. So what is a pastie. I guess about anything you can put on a pie crust and fold it over. Even that isn't really correct because most of us up here that make them make 10 to 20 at a time and when we do it we make a few as meat pies in a pie pan with an bottom and top crust. I actually prefer them like that because theres more filling and less crust.

Banned

by the way its pronounced passty not pasety

Moderator Emeritus

They actually come from any mining area. They have been served in Butte, MT since the 1880's. The story is Cornish miners brought them over but many cultures eat empanadas, meat turnovers or pies. Cornish men were often known as "Cousin Jacks" as when ever someone needed help at a mine, one had a cousin Jack, who was sure to work out.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    and here I always thought it was a local thing to my part of Pa as others I have talked to all my life have never heard of them. you can still get them in some of the diners and other places, we even still have a few that have pig stomach on the menu.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Yep, my mind went there too.

red meat version of chicken pot pie.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Thanks, my mind went elsewhere
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. Sounds like something fun to try with my venison.

Thanks,

Boolit Master

Lloyd, try making a large batch of mashed potatoes and then dehydrate. Once dry, run then through a blender and put up in a mason jar. Yup, instant mashed potatoes that are not bland like store bought. I suppose you could can mashed taters, never tried that. Made a lot of tater soup for canning, I just hate to see taters go to waste. I may or may not have cooked and frozen a bunch of breakfast/country taters
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

actually course ground venison is my favorite in them. To far away from crop damage season and my venison stash is down to back straps and cube steaks so I had to go and buy a couple cheap beef roasts this time. But right after crop damage shooting and right before regular deer season the wife allways does a big batch with venison. If you use venison though. Take a slab of butter or margarine and put it in every pastie for moisture. Other meats work too. Weve done them with pork and with sauage too. About any meat you can get cheap works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1 View Post
    Interesting. Sounds like something fun to try with my venison.

Thanks,

Love a good pasty! The best in MI are usually found in the UP. In my area of mid-MI we have a few small shops called King Arthur that make a very good beef pasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast