RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cast ZINC bullets for magnum and rifle loads

Boolit Master

Cast ZINC bullets for magnum and rifle loads

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    I couldn't find any such requirement in the current OK hunting regs. Just the lone stipulation "Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet."

The hollow point comment would tell me that much of the Barnes line of non-lead bullets (TSX, TTSX, LRX .etc) are legal. A hollow pointed zinc bullet seems legal as well. Sounds like they just don't want people using FMJ ball ammo.
    The non lead issue comes in with respect to Armor piercing handgun ammunition laws.
    IIRC, the ATF banned some non lead bullets due to their interpretation of Armor piercing. Someone else might have a better memory, I want to say it was Barnes solids.

Since handguns can be chambered in any caliber, any caliber could fall under these laws.

Some states like Illinois have their own AP laws, which leads to more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I recently tested my zinc 223 Rem loads.
    As I posted above I sized the bullets to .224.
    I shot them out of a HK SL6 which has about a 11" twist rate and polygonal rifling.
    Accuracy was horrible, shot at 50m dispersion was about 30 cm. Some bullets even tumbling and hitting sideways.
    I don't have the possibility to chrony my loads at the moment, but the balistic software calculates a muzzle velocity of about 1090 m/s.
    To test wether the polygonal rifling has something to do with this stabilizing problem, I shot the same loads out of my recently acquired swedish Mauser Frankenrifle with a enormous match barrel chambered in 223 Rem. Accuracy was marginally better 20-25cm and no keyholing.
    But still this is nowhere near acceptable accuracy.
    I'm thinking about sizing to .225 or bigger and try again.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    David

Gesendet von meinem HTC U11 plus mit Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I tried zinc bullets in .308 & .458 years ago but accuracy was poor as I found they were too light for length. No matter what velocity I ran them at I still got the random keyholing. What I did find was that air pockets were found in samples I cut in half and that would not help in balancing them. When I drilled a hole in the rear or front centre & filled with pure lead it helped accuracy but was a time consuming process. I now stick with lino or pure lead but with a HI-TEK coating with 3 light coats & water quenched after the last coating bake with a gas check. This allows me to get over 2,000fps without leading.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234