RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lyman 45 leak around die

Lyman 45 leak around die

Lyman 45, leaks around sizing die. Did search but didn't find anything specific to this.
    Have tried new rings, stock and Danco. Tried wrap of teflon tape around top of die. Adjusted pressure carefully but starts leaking when pressure achieved to fill groove. Played with set screw so tightness just holds die. No cracks found in body. Lube in pic is BAC.
    Comments, suggestions and fixes appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010830 1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	260344
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Master
    Those wiser will likely chime in but assuming the die is properly round then the housing may be “stretched” from some overzealous tightening if the set screw in the past.

Sounds like you have tried most everything I would, except you did not mention a heater. It may be possible that if the lube is heated It may flow better into the bullet grooves before you over pressurize.

The other thing may be the bullets are not deep enough and still covering the die Lube holes requiring the high pressure to fill the groves.

is this a new die? I recently purchased a die that did not have the rebate for the set screw. Do all your dies do this or just one?

Don't have an official heater but run the heat gun on it a bit to get things flowing. Will try to thin the lube out some more.
    All my dies but one have the rebate and they all leak. However the rebates were packed with lube.
    Will clean prior to insertion.
    Had it apart and took a good look at the innards where the die sets. No cracks, nothing that I can see that would cause this. Will give her a try again tomorrow.
    Thanks for the input.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

thinning and heating BAC LUBE may well be the cause!

Thanks, with your input I think I got it figured out this morning. Short story of it is after several aborted attempts I cleaned it up again. Paying attention I noticed slight die movement when tightening set screw. Removed o ring and noticed die sat a tad deeper when placing with no movement when tightening screw. Took some sandpaper and stripped any paint and gunk around the hole the die sets in. Had a bag of miscellaneous o rings and found one that appears to be a half of hair smaller than stock. Placed die. It sat deeper with no die movement when tightening screw.
    Lubed a couple dozen .459, 405 gr for the 45/70 with no problems.
    Mileage may vary between machines but this appears to have worked for this one.
    Now I gotta figure out the size of new o rings I need.
    Have a good one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010832 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	260383

How I love tha BAC lube for my smokeless loads!

Good work, thanks for the follow up.