WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: First time smoking a backstrap

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

First time smoking a backstrap

I brined it in a mix of water, canning salt, and brown sugar fro about five hours and then took it out. I dried it off and did a dry rub. It was a mix of brown sugar, famous Dave’s rib rub, and some chili powder. I caked it on pretty thick. I then smoked it in my Lil Totem smoker for an hour and a half. I removed it and checked the internal temp. It was about seventy degrees. My original plan was to finish off in the oven till the internal temp was about a 165 degrees. It took 45 minutes to get it to 160 and I called it good. I let it rest for about 5 minutes and cut it up. I also took the excess rub and added some. Famous Dave’s BBQ sauce to it and water. I mixed it up and micro waved it for minute stirring before and after. It made an excellent glaze. Man that was good!!! I was impressed for my first time smoke and first time dry rub. I’ve made tons of jerky but never a ready to eat meal in my smoker till I did a turkey a few weeks ago. The famous Dave’s rib rub is a little on the spicy side but is sure tasted great. Best venison backstrap I ever ate. I was a little paranoid when I cut it up as you can see how juicy it was. It poured out all over my cutting table.

Looks like I missed one little deer hair on it...If so it went down the hatch.

Boolit Buddy
    That sure does look good. I may have to try that myself. Thanks for sharing

I’m going to have the left overs for lunch or try some in a potsy pie maker over the coals with some Mozzarella cheese and some BBQ sauce. It was so soft I could cut it with my fork. I can’t believe how juicy it was. You can see all the juice that flowed out when I carved it up. It poured out on the table below like a river. Next one I’m going to try I’ll skip or lighten up on the rib rub. The famous Dave’s is very good but on the spicy side.

Moderator Emeritus

160 is over cooked for a backstrap... 135-145... they can be medium rare.

I read most cook it to 145 degrees but for my first go around I wanted to make sure it was done. I read somewhere the USDA recommendation was 165 degrees for venison so I figured I’d try 160. I never really cooked with a thermometer before so it was pretty slick to check it. In the past I’ve always cooked by eye. It was still pretty pink on most parts but no blood came out like it when cooked rare. It was extremely tender as well. I made a few potsy pies for lunch today with a few pieces along with, mozzarella cheese and barbecue sauce inside of my pie as well. All I can say was WOW!

And I didn’t even age the meat because these were back straps and they didn’t tear me up like usual. Maybe it was the brine soak that removed some of the blood or maybe because I cooked to hot enough to kill any or all of bacteria? Anyways, life is good!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-29-2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    we normally only cook to 145 but that looks great and its sure not dry,nice job

Yeah it was so wet when I took it out of the oven I figured it wasn’t done but I did have it covered with tinfoil when I was baking it up until the last 10 minutes. I baked it for 45 minutes at 325 to get the internal temp up to 160. When I was checking the temp juice would flow out like I poked a vein so I figured it was still far from done. At least I learned a lot from posters here to be brave enough try it. I took Mary’s tip tip smoke first in my totem smoker and then finish it off in the oven. And I thought the turkey I smoked this way a week or two ago was juicy.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-29-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Redneck smoker

Hey Triplebeards,. You tryin to get me to licking the computer screen! Man that looks super good. Hey when you run out of turkey and venison, try some on sale pork loins whole and you will have Canadian Bacon made your way. I use a redneck smoker.LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jerryrigged smoker 001.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

My wife also makes it. She makes her own rubs, and cooks it to 150. Congrats on starting a new tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    160 is over cooked for a backstrap... 135-145... they can be medium rare.
    Mary B 100%!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Backstrap needs blood on the plate, so good!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Backstrap needs blood on the plate, so good!
    With taters, rice, or bread. Can't let any of the juice go to waste!

Boolit Grand Master

Anytime you cook meat you need to let it rest for about 15 minutes to let the juices calm down and re-absorb into the meat structure. Other than that you did very good!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne, that makes sense. I only waited 5 minutes before carving it up.

Looks good I like mine rare I would been done at the internal 70degree point ! lol
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I just ate the last of it today. I swear it tastes better with age! I’m gonna have to smoke another one again next week.

I have number 2 brining in salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and some spices. I let it brine for a day this time instead of 5 hours and smoke it up the same way I did the first. I’m skipping the a lot, or all of the famous Dave’s rib rub this time because my guests don’t want it as spicy this time around.

Boolit Grand Master

If your rub is a little hot but you like the flavor grind up a couple table spoons of coffee beans and add that to the rub. It mellows the rub.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Very nice
    We smoked a backstrap a couple months back and wrapped it in bacon to help with moisture. Came out awesome at medium well and super tender.
    We dont eat meat under medium well and usually go to well done even with game meat, but we know how to cook so it always comes out tender and juicy.

Boolit Master

I would think that meat cooked to 160 would be gray, somehow, that remained pink. Good job