RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: For users of the Lee Quick Trim: trim .32-20 in .30 carbine die?

Boolit Buddy

For users of the Lee Quick Trim: trim .32-20 in .30 carbine die?

I use 32-20 brass in my Ruger .30 Carbine revolver.
    (While the pros and cons of that practice is a topic in itself, such discussion would be tangential to my question.)

If I resize 32-20 brass in a .30 Carbine resizing die, could I then trim it in the Lee Quick Trim tool using the Lee .30 Carbine trim die, or would I need a separate Lee 32-20 trim die?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    EDIT: I came bak and deleted my original post and questions. I have not used a Ruger that shoots 30 carbine - I'm assuming that you have to use moon clips with it and by using the 32-20 brass you don't have to? (rimless versus rim).

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what a person wold want to sue 32-20 instead of 30 carbine brass but if it works for you - I guess it works.

You are making 30 carbine brass out of 32-20 when you are done, don't you have a rimmed 30 carbine piece of brass? I would think you would use a 30 carbine speed trim die since you shell holder holds a casing by the rimless or rim depending on what you have. The I have no experience e with the 30 carbine but do have limited experience with the 32-20 and the necks are pretty thin and fragile. In looking at the dimensions of the two cases in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - the trim to case length of a 30 carbine casing is 1.286 - the trim to case length of a 32-20 casing is 1.305 - which means in theory, the 32.20 formed to 30 carbine would have to have .029 trimmed off of it. All you could do is try it and see how the case mouths trim up.

Just curious - just what/how are you reforming the 32-20 to 30 carbine - basically making a rimmed 30 carbine? Once you have formed it, it might be better to try a 30 carbine forming/file trim die to file to length if your Lee trimmer causes problems with the thin necks. That type of die would size the reformed casing to specs and allow you to carefully use a file to trim to length.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 03-29-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    I can see where you could do that conversion, you would have to use the 30 carbine die for final case prep if you are turning down the rim first. The final dimensions are likely a little short though?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to those who responded for pretty much confirming my thoughts.