Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 45 Colt - Chamber Pressures Unique Compared to Herco

Boolit Mold

45 Colt - Chamber Pressures Unique Compared to Herco

I have read that Herco is very close to Unique as far as charge weight to velocity - a little more Herco to get same velocity as Unique. Is the relationship the same for relative chamber pressures for the two powders? Does it take the same charge or a little more of Herco to reach the same chamber pressures?

Brian Pearce lists 10 grains of Unique under a 280 gr. SWC as a safe Tier II load. Would 10 grains of Herco under the same bullet likewise be a safe Tier II load?

I'm working up loads for mid-frame Ruger Flattop, and I have some Herco on hand and some 45-270-saa's from Matt's. I don't need to max out the load, but I'd like to have an idea of where that max is for this bullet before I start.
    Starline cases and CCI 300 primers. OAL ~ 1.65"

If anyone has actually pressure tested similar loads or run them thru Quickload that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have made up some 10 grain herco loads with a 260 gr. RCBS bullet seems like a good mid range load. 300 grs. bullet and 8.0 and 9.0 grs. herco no signs of being to hot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Herco is a bit slower than Unique, but works very well in the .45 Colt with the heavier 260-grain+ bullets. In my Ruger NMBH I use 10 grains with the Accurate 45-290H at 1.65" OAL in Starline brass with the WLP. I think you would be just fine with the 270 Matt's in your Ruger Flattop, but I would not increase it further in the mid-frame. I have gone as far as 11 grains in my large frame, but the load was less accurate, so I went back to 10 grs. which seems a good full-charge load which is powerful enough without getting snotty.

Larry Gibson pressure tested a Bullseye load for me which also shoots very well, the data sheet attached.

Attachment 259288
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I'll work up to 10 grains and use that as a ceiling.

Banned
    Ive used Herco in .45colt also. I like it.