WidenersRepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: New to 9mm reloading- question

Boolit Buddy

New to 9mm reloading- question

Just starting to get into reloading for semiautos, though I have reloaded for rifles and revolvers for some time. This specific question is for the 9mm Luger. I have a mold that is designed for cowboy action and is a 100 gr truncated cone with a large lube grove (see below). Currently, I just have a 358 size die. I know this is a bit large for 9mm, but will this cause an issue? Just looking to make some plinking loads that will work the action, not hotrod. I have Unique on had, so that would be convenient. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1376.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	259286

Boolit Grand Master

To determine if .358" is too big, you have to know what diameter the groove diameter is. I have 3 different 9 mm pistols an have 3 different groove diameter bbls. One is .355", one is .356", and my old Tokerev is .357"+. For the smaller barrels to .357"., and the older pistol gets .358"+...

If the .358" bullet will chamber when loaded, I think it would work. A fat bullet may swell the case too large to chamber...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-28-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I use the lee tc 100 gr bullet. It has a lot smaller lube grove. I mostly use hodgen bulseye. On the .358 die it is a little big but your gun might chamber it. All my 9mm are European Bretta, star and will chamber a .358 sized bullet. My high point needs a .357 or smaller

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Springfield Targer 9mm and I am loading some .358" boolits. Light roll crimp then a taper crimp. Works fine

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Load several dummy rounds with your .358" diameter bullets and see if they will chamber readily and extract easily in hand cycling. If they chamber and extract without undue resistance they are safe to shoot. Only caution would be to pay close attention to seating depth, because deep seating bullets so the base protrudes more deeply into the powder space than factory loads will spike pressure.

If you can find load data for a similarly shaped and weight bullet which provides the OAL tested, assemble your dummies at that length to try in your gun. If they chamber and extract OK then you are good to go. Use the minimum powder charge which cycles the gun. I would start at about 3.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup and work up from there to get reliable function. With a 100-grain bullet about 4 grains makes a nice plinking load that drops the brass at your feet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all, The replies are about what I expected. Will start with some dummy rounds and go from there...

Boolit Grand Master

Your guns chamber/throat will be the deciding factor not only to boolit diameter but it will also dictate boolit seating depth .
    The newer and smaller the 9mm the less throat they have ...some have little or no throat which complicates the issue .
    WWII era Walther P-38 will chamber .358 150 gr. SWC like they were made for it....newer guns must be tried . The issue I run into is when a lead boolit jambs into the throat and doesn't want to seat fully or extract . Make dummy rounds , make sure they pass the plunk test and the hand cycling test from clip to chamber and extract . Once you get that down , then go to loading real ammo with powder and primers.
    I have had success with Lee 358-105-SWC , Lee 356-120-TC , Lee 356-125-2R and
    the NOE 358-124-TC-GC , all boolits sized .357 .
    Be sure to flare/expand the case mouth and start the boolit straight into the case when seating, the boolits do not straighten themselves out...in crooked = out crooked.
    Trial and error on size and seating depth is the ONLY way to tell .
    Unique is a good powder, my pet loads range from 4.7 grs. to 5.0 grs of Unique depending on the boolit.
    Don't get discouraged...the 9mm and cast will try your soul ... it's a little stinker to get sorted out.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have 2 9mm's that require .358 or larger to not keyhole. Both love .38 special 125 gr which drop at .358 or .359. I don't size those.

Find out what fits in yours.

Once you have a dummy round that works crimp it, use it to set your dies.

Boolit Master

100% agreement with post5. Outpost75 Says it straight!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    Just starting to get into reloading for semiautos, though I have reloaded for rifles and revolvers for some time. This specific question is for the 9mm Luger. I have a mold that is designed for cowboy action and is a 100 gr truncated cone with a large lube grove (see below). Currently, I just have a 358 size die. I know this is a bit large for 9mm, but will this cause an issue? Just looking to make some plinking loads that will work the action, not hotrod. I have Unique on had, so that would be convenient. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1376.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	259286
    What you need to check is the size of the bullet after it is loaded, 9 mm has a problem with swagging the bullet in the case just pull one and measure it. The small driving bands you show will be easy to be swagged down.

I have the best results with NLG bullets with around 15 BHN alloy, there is loads of good and bad info here on the forum about loading 9 mm.

Unique powder is fine for 9 mm as there are many other powders work well also, the key is the bullet fit to your barrel.

I size .358 for several 9mm's without any issues.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

.358 is the standard for all four of my 9mm pistols. Use a taper crimp die to get them to spec. I've shot buckets of them over the years with great results....