Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: What is the difference

Boolit Buddy

What is the difference

Between a Lyman HI sizing die and one without the HI designation. I know its been addressed before, but I still don't get it.

I'm looking to buy a .356 to size a cast bullet to shoot in the 350 Legend. It's special order most places and I want to order the correct one.

It's for a 4500.

Thx
    So many toys........so little time.

Are you saying you're looking at 2 dies for sale, one set designated as H I and one set designated just as sizing die for a Lyman 4500? There would be no difference other than the listing title.

Boolit Master

I know what you are talking about. I believe there is not a difference. The H is the out side of the die and the I is the inside plunger. Only difference I remember is that the really older ones were cut different to shave lead. The oldish to current are cut to swage the bullet. I just do not remember when the swapped over but beleive it was before I was born.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Rcmaveric;4862379]I know what you are talking about. I believe there is not a difference. The H is the out side of the die and the I is the inside plunger. Only difference I remember is that the really older ones were cut different to shave lead. The oldish to current are cut to swage the bullet. I just do not remember when the swapped over but beleive it was before I was born.

If that's the case, then why does Brownell's and others ALONG with Lyman list them as different dies?
    I might have to wait until Monday and call Lyman directly.

I also thought that maybe someone here would be getting rid of a .355 -6 9mm die that I could buy provided I know what I'm buying.? HI or not HI
    So many toys........so little time.

I've never encountered the old dies that shave lead, though I've heard of them. Is there any way to tell them apart? I have an old die that doesn't have the O ring like new ones do. I prefer it.

Boolit Master
    In an early catalog, the die parts were labeled in an illustration as parts "H" and "I" and the terms have been used ever since. if someone is selling new dies without the designation, I wouldn't be too concerned. Also RCBS lube-a-matic dies are interchangeable with lyman, but were never technically "H&I" dies, so wouldn't be listed as such.

The leade into the dies can be different between some very old dies and newer ones, but I've never seen one designed to 'shave' lead, including the original dies that I've gotten with #1 lube sizers. Older dies didn't have an O-ring and were held in place in the early presses by set screws instead of collars.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!