Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2PBcastco
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Damaged Optics

Boolit Buddy

Damaged Optics

What do you all do with damaged optics?

I have a cheap, older, spotting scope (but good enough for my purposes) that fell off the bench in the wind and had a lens break loose somewhere inside-- it doesn't work at all now. It's out of warranty and likely worth sending to the factory to fix.

Do I just trash it? Seems like a waste; any suggestions? Tear it apart as a learning experience and maybe fix it (doubtful in my mind)?

I had an older cheap Tasco scope that that didn't work, when it came on a rifle I bought. Same question years ago; its in a Oklahoma landfill somewhere now.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have to take it apart just for the fun of it,and if you can't fix it then you are not out anything.

Boolit Master

My Simmons spotting scope got knocked off the bench by a guy who was trying to look at a shot for me. It broke the 2 thumb screws on the tripod that came with the scope some years before. I called Simmons to see what it would cost to repair it. I was told to send it in and provided an address to send it to. I still had the old box that the whole outfit came in so I sent the whole outfit back in. It came back about 2 or 3 weeks later and they had not only repaired the tripod but had refurbished to whole scope. Nice people and I have remembered them to a number of people. I have one of their Rimfire scopes on my little 10-22 and it is a very clear scope. Holds zero just fine too. Long story short, check with the manufacturers--who knows, you might get a pleasant surprise. james

I fixed a few scopes in my time. I actually replaced the messed-up cross-hairs in my first scope, with my own hair.

I was able to fix all the scopes I opened-up.

Fun to tinker with and see what is inside. Good luck!

If the company that made it is still in buisiness, they will most likely replace it with a new equivalent or better optic if you contact their customer service. I’ve had that experience with domestic and Oriental brands of scopes.