MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Pine-Sol help

Pine-Sol help

For those who use Pine-Sol to clean brass. What is the concentration you use?
    Full strength
    two cups per gallon
    One cup per gallon
    1/2 cup per gallon
    ect.
    And, how often do you change it?
    Thanks
    Dean

P.S. Yes I mean per gallon of water.

Never heard of using Pine-Sol
    I supposed it gives them a nice piney scent.

Boolit Master

I have never heard of it either, I look forward to seeing some results. For me, diluted lemon juice works very well. Both are cheap. I already have a diluted solution used for cleaning floors, I think I will put some in a glass and drop a piece of cruddy looking range pick up to see what gives. My lemon juice solution is a 5 minute bath followed by a rinse. If Pine Sol works too it would be awesome.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Okay, 5 minute test did some good. Ratio was 1/4 cup per gallon and the brass looks good. I usually put the brass in the tumbler after rinsing. I merely wiped the piece with a paper towel as paper is very abrasive. There was evidence the oxidization was cut and the brass shined up some. 1/2 cup/gallon might give the same or better result I would expect from the lemon juice mix I normally use.

I also considered using a vinegar solution but I use vinegar. I started using the lemon juice because I had some already that had been in the pantry for so long it went bad. More testing later.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Pine-sol or lemon juice for a wash, dryer sheets in the tumbler, all that's missing is the April fresh smell of Downey.

I wonder if a squirt of Binaca or a breath mint in your lube would improve that 'burnt' smell on the firing line.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I used it at full strength. I left the brass soak for a full day, didn't do jack. Poured it out and moved on to a cleaner that actually cleans.

Boolit Master

Many times I wash my brass with hot water and laundry detergent. I see no reason PineSol wouldn't work. I don't know that it would get the brass shiny, but then that's not my intention when I wash brass.

I'm going to try the pine oil cleaner, see how it works.

I forgot to mention that your suppose to put in a little Lemmishin in it to.
    Dean

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBeanCounter;In that case why 4862457
    I forgot to mention that your suppose to put in a little Lemmishin in it to.
    Dean
    In that case why bother? Just use the citric acid (lemmishine, lemon juice, or citric acid, all the same).
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Yes, why bother, I just use citric acid with auto wash & wax.

Pine-sol can be used as carburetor cleaner. I use it full strength and soak small engine carbs overnight. Rinse with water. The joy of using Pine -sol is it will not eat the plastic or rubber parts like Berrymans soak will.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I recently graduate to tumbling in SS pins - by "graduating", I mean I used to just toss the bras in a bucket of citric acid and dish soap mixed in hot water - didn't polish but did clean. I don't do a lot of brass so have a smaller Frankford Arsenal tumbler - works great. Where I'm headed with this is that the first batch of some dirty/tarnished 223 brass I used hot water, about a teaspoon of lemon shine and some Dawn dish detergent. As I was getting ready to put the end on the tumbler barrel, I spied my ever resent tin of Johnson's paste wax on the bench - what the heck - let's experiment. I took a small dab of the paste wax - maybe a half teaspoon - and tossed it into the mix. I let it go for about an hour - rinsed in hot water and pulled the casings out onto a towel and spread out to dry. After separating the SS media form the mix, I was totally surprised to see how shiny and bright all cases were - better than new - my wife even commented on how bought and shiny they were. I checked the media and the inside of the drum to serif there was any wax build up from the paste wax - none at all. Just mentioning this as there are other alternatives to use for a waxy shine.

I've never read of using Pine-Sol but if it cuts dirt and grime, why not - you can't loose much by trying it to see how it works. Years ago, I had an acquaintance give me a 5# coffee can of 45ACP brass that he had found cleaning out his grandfather's barn - the can not only had brass in it but mouse droppings as well as bat droppings - not a pleasant "gift" but his intentions were good. I didn't do 4ACP so passed the can on to a neighbor who did. Thinking back to that brass - I'm sure it would have cleaned up O.K. but if I were to tumble it now, I'd be soaking it in a bucket of hot water and detergent, rinsing well and tumbling in what i use now along with a good dose liquid Lysol.

Boolit Grand Master

Would Lestoil work the same as Pine Sol? Never used either to clean brass. Powdered Citric Acid I got in the canning section and Dawn.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    Pine-sol can be used as carburetor cleaner. I use it full strength and soak small engine carbs overnight. Rinse with water. The joy of using Pine -sol is it will not eat the plastic or rubber parts like Berrymans soak will.
    Berrymans carb dip, or any other carb dip has not been effective in many, many years. They no longer eat plastic, they don't even take paint off, but they do not clean a carb either. The very best carburetor cleaner you can still buy is B12 chemtool, and is likely what used to come in the old dip cans. Now THAT is a cleaner not to be messed with, it burns like mad.

I have a feeling pine-sol has fallen the same fate. Maybe years ago it was great, but the new stuff I'm well convinced is nothing but scented water with some disinfectant in it.

The OP should go on to a real cleaner, something with citrus would be good, heck even vinegar cleans well. Don't waste time with Pine-sol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Berrymans carb dip, or any other carb dip has not been effective in many, many years. They no longer eat plastic, they don't even take paint off, but they do not clean a carb either. The very best carburetor cleaner you can still buy is B12 chemtool, and is likely what used to come in the old dip cans. Now THAT is a cleaner not to be messed with, it burns like mad.

I have a feeling pine-sol has fallen the same fate. Maybe years ago it was great, but the new stuff I'm well convinced is nothing but scented water with some disinfectant in it.

The OP should go on to a real cleaner, something with citrus would be good, heck even vinegar cleans well. Don't waste time with Pine-sol.
    I agree somewhat with the brand name "PineSol". I think the makers have quit using pine oil, and have gone to some synthetic detergent with pine scent.

However, I've found some real pine-oil based cleaners in dollar stores. All the good ones I've found were made in Mexico.