MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Today’s project RL Morris 41 pistol

Boolit Buddy

Today’s project RL Morris 41 pistol

I was inspired by a posting on some nipple wear and figured it was time to service this pistol. This is the same maker who fabricated my 4 piece percussion and flintlock bench gun set.

I was beginning to get pelted with debris when shooting, through hole in the nipple was nearly a #50 drill size.

Nipple was a bit stuck so I slowed down, disassembled the gun so I could get it in a vise. I then cut a piece of rod as a wrench and tig welded it to an extension so I could use my mini impact m18 driver. Spun right out without a whimper, worth the hour of futzing.(if anyone needs to borrow, let me know!)

Nipple was 1/4x28 and thread portion was about 0.375 which is rather long. A bit of searching and I found whT I needed on TOTW site. I guess these longer nipples are designed for underhammer guns (which fits with his rifle fabrication)

During my googling, I searched for the pistol and found this:

Posting it so if others are looking come across this information.

A guns international had a listing for #7 of maybe 10?
    Mine is #2.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101234590

R.L. Morris Custom .41 Cal. Percussion

“Description:
    We know very little about this gun and it's maker. It is a .41 caliber muzzle loading percussion pistol. As the gun is marked, it was made by R.L. Morris of Fort Wayne, Indiana. He regularly attended and participated in the gatherings at Friendship, and was always trying to come up with a better handgun. This is serial number 7, but we do not know the total number he manufactured. We do know that this is a very well made gun, and shows little wear. The hammer and trigger are very sculptured in design, and the trigger pull is light and crisp. An associate who knew Mr. Morris at Friendship estimated that he probably made no more than ten handguns like this. Definitely a unique piece.”
    Last edited by Plastikosmd; 04-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Banned

How's it shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    I never really worked up a load for it. Frankly I had a flinch from getting nailed in the face from blowback. It was unfortunately random so I never knew when I would get hit. This “stay at home” stuff is allowing me to get some projects done