Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Svarog slugs,,,,

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
    Longbow, I had to go back over my notes and read some books to polish up on what I know (or don't know) about Paradox and bore guns. G Wright has a chapter in his latest edition of his book about shooting paradox guns. He does an in-depth study on original guns and mics bores and slugs but says nothing about rifling twist or depth. A couple of things that I have learned.(1) The paradox slug needs to be bore size or slightly under bore size. (2)The slug needs to be a BN of 10 to 12 to be able to swedge into the rifled choke with out damaging the barrel. WW are usually 9BHN. (3)This type of slug shooting apparently works with a faster twist than we would normally calculate for a bullet that size. I do wonder if this is because of the slow velocity. When calculating twist the calculator says 1100 too slow, they want 1300 which is impossible with black powder. (3)The only actual specs I have found on paradox rifling is that one person said his rifling is .008 deep which would make the choke .016 or modified. (4) there was company that was doing paradox rifling in , I think a 60" twist but have since discontinued the service. "Darlington Gun Works" (5) I don't know squat.
    I have a half finished rifling bench that I need to get out and finish so I can continue my quest for a paradox or bore rifle. I have been working on this for a while. Probably the best option at my age would be to buy one, then I would be shooting next week!

Here are some barrels makers, that I need to contact"

http://thegunworks.com/
    They specialize in "Bore" rifles and even offer a 2 bore!

https://www.lothar-walther.com/
    Just found this site, it is interesting that they offer shotgun blanks, and BPCR blanks

Bob Hoyt PA'
    Bob has a little one man shop going and does all kind of barrel work on obsolete barrels, relines re bores, sleeves, and makes new barres . I have had him rebore and make barrels for me before, TOP NOTCH. He doesn't do the Net tho. I can get you his #
    It looks like thegunworks sells Colerain barrels. I know they make smooth bore fowler barrels, but I don't think they offer rifled. I could be wrong. I don't know of Lothar-Walter. Bob Hoyt will not rifle a shotgun barrel. I believe he can bore a smoothbore, but not rifle it. That is what I was told. I'm guessing you are looking for a muzzleloader barrel, which you may stand a chance on finding. At first I thought you were talking about a modern smokeless shotgun, which I don't think you will have much luck in a custom barrel. Shaw didn't even want to sell the savage barrels they already make. I doubt they would do a custom slower twist.

Boolit Bub
    Mega, The gunworks offers rifled barrels all the way up to 2 bore. Bob Hoyt made me two .62 cal. ( 20 bore) rifled barrels and copied the profile from a pair of SXS shotgun barrels I sent him. I am looking for a breech loading barrel to convert a shotgun to a SXS "bore" rifle. I am flexible on gauge. I plan on using black powder only, smokeless is just a fad anyway!!!,,,,Ed

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...t1Name=Barrels
    Last edited by Longknife; 04-01-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Longbow, Did you also know that some makers offered "fully rifled" paradox guns?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paradox-99.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	259466

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, after H&H introduced the Paradox gun there were several makers that copied the idea and/or made fully rifled versions. I'd have to look back to check but there were variations in rifling, twisted oval bores and other.

Some of the makers:

Lancaster ~ Colindian
    Gogswell and Harrison ~ Cosmos
    William Evans
    Jeffery ~ Jungle Gun
    Westley Richards ~ Explora

I am sure there were more. Some I think tried to copy the Fosbery design but after the patent ran out there were lots of copies and similar designs for ball and shot guns. Thomas Bland is one I hadn't heard of.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Hastings may still have some rifled 20 gauge barrel blanks in stock. They were 1:35 though. I think all the old stock they have is sold through "Hastings distribution" on the web.

I got a Hastings Barrel for my A5 off Ebay for like$150 which was a screamin' deal now that I look back. it is 1:35 also.

That gun is pretty accurate with my STI Slugs! here's the group again for the 50th time.One pic of the gun is with the Hastings Barrel the other with the mag extension is with the Miroku Buck Special Barrel.(It was $125 off Ebay!)

There is a bunch of Hastings rifled barrels for 870's on Ebay right now. Hastings calls them "Paradox" but they are fully rifled barrels.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Sourcing slug moulds is very easy but I am having very little luck finding a seller of the center pillered wads for use with the hollow core Gaulandi and Russian type slugs. The one seller I came across was looking for 45 cents per each. That doesn't make economical sense. You might as well just purchase factory Brenneke loaded slugs.
    If anyone here has a contact in Europe or in North America would you please speak out .

Quote Originally Posted by Dufferin View Post
    Sourcing slug moulds is very easy but I am having very little luck finding a seller of the center pillered wads for use with the hollow core Gaulandi and Russian type slugs. The one seller I came across was looking for 45 cents per each. That doesn't make economical sense. You might as well just purchase factory Brenneke loaded slugs.
    If anyone here has a contact in Europe or in North America would you please speak out .
    I have 10,000 of them, if you’re referring to the Azot tail wad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12