Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy Slow Down

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    We are still up and running. Running normally.
    Problem why thinks are slow...... Look at the group buys....they are no more group buys - they are more wish lists.

Group buy means 25 SAME molds. Lately In one group buy I came out with 16 different setups. That's why thinks slow down.

Think this as McDonalds and fancy superduper restaurant.... In McDonalds they have 5 menus ready to go. Pay and go.
    In fancy restaurant you wait for an hour, because you want your stake medium rare, not so spicy, done on olive oil.......you get the point?

Trying my best here.
    I’m glad you commented Mihec. What you said makes sense. It seems maybe we have too many options sometimes. Maybe we forget the less options that we have without MP and NOE.

I think a big issue with those of us in the US, is we’re wanting more communication, even if it’s less desirable.

I’ve been watching a few group buys that seem to linger awhile. I don’t know, maybe if there were less options on some molds for quicker production then that group buy would go quicker. Another possible slowdown problem is we all have multiple good molds so we can choose to be picky. Then again, I do know that my mold collection is slowly moving to brass and aluminum, and away from the steel blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over two years for a 45/70 mold. Finally got it a couple months ago. I'm still on a 45 mold but considering dropping out. Definitely taking way too long.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Over two years for a 45/70 mold. Finally got it a couple months ago. I'm still on a 45 mold but considering dropping out. Definitely taking way too long.
    From where you stand It's a long time. My view is different.
    Again, if you order a Ferarri, waiting time is 5 years if you want to buy a Yugo (actually you don't buy a Yugo you get it for free with washing powder) you can get it in second.

I can employ more people, buy more machines but price will go up and quality will drop.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Vendor Sponsor

P.S.
    A lot of molds on stock is here:

https://www.mp-molds.com/shop/
    www.mp-molds.com

Personally MiHec, I think your doing a fantastic job owning 15 of your molds so far. Myself I have no issues waiting for a custom mold. I have no issues paying $$$ for quality. Thank you for the molds you make Nothing better that using quality bullets cast from custom molds.

Myself I've slowed down on signing up for group buys. Got too many molds as it is and been thinning the herd for the last year selling 50+ molds.

Perhaps it has more to do with a small market to sell to & those people that buy molds have everything they want/need at this time.

Boolit Master
    For whatever reason the Honcho for my group buy said at various times that it would run in 30 days or that we were up next. That was clearly not the case and lead to people getting upset and leaving the buy. The lack of good information made the group buy look bad.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    For whatever reason the Honcho for my group buy said at various times that it would run in 30 days or that we were up next. That was clearly not the case and lead to people getting upset and leaving the buy. The lack of good information made the group buy look bad.
    I'm working on that. Improved ordering and info system. Sometimes it is very hard to make a schedule due to outsourcing, waiting for materials, broken cherries.....
    www.mp-molds.com

P.S.
    A lot of molds on stock is here:
    https://www.mp-molds.com/shop/
    ^ This is how I intend to purchase "custom" moulds anymore. If it's not in stock, ready to ship, I'm not interested.

I have MP moulds, they're nice. I am glad you're a busy man with quality being a top-priority.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not sure how long ago I started involving myself in group buys, or how many. I am certain, though, that I’ve never been misled regarding the time frame involved. I’ve also never had to pay for anything until just prior to receiving it.

All in all, I don’t think group buys have been drastically better or worse than waiting for an NFA stamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I’m glad you commented Mihec. What you said makes sense. It seems maybe we have too many options sometimes. Maybe we forget the less options that we have without MP and NOE.

I think a big issue with those of us in the US, is we’re wanting more communication, even if it’s less desirable.

I’ve been watching a few group buys that seem to linger awhile. I don’t know, maybe if there were less options on some molds for quicker production then that group buy would go quicker. Another possible slowdown problem is we all have multiple good molds so we can choose to be picky. Then again, I do know that my mold collection is slowly moving to brass and aluminum, and away from the steel blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I would like to see to even consider it again. Stop taking orders, and get caught up. Then choose which designs you can made in a reasonable timeframe. By reasonable I mean from the time you get 25 or however many committed, to the time they ship, being 2-3 months tops. Better communication is must too. Simple questions going unanswered for weeks is no good. 2 years for a bullet mold is too long, no matter how you look at it.

Boolit Grand Master
    My GBs have all been with MiHec. The time to deliver was ok but I understood it was a custom mold and did not expect them in a month.

I am currently signed up for a mold for the Master Caster. It has been months. If it makes it to production fine; if not, I will make do with a Magma mold.

He does not ask for funds until he is ready...seems fair to me. If I want something quickly, I will order what he has in inventory, or look elsewhere.
    Don Verna

From where you stand It's a long time. My view is different.
    Again, if you order a Ferarri, waiting time is 5 years if you want to buy a Yugo (actually you don't buy a Yugo you get it for free with washing powder) you can get it in second.

I can employ more people, buy more machines but price will go up and quality will drop.
    I totally understand. I love your molds and currently have 6 of them. I'm certainly not knocking your quality and commitment to your trade.

I personally just can't wait that long any more. I'm sure some folks can, and that's fine also.

I'm sure I'll buy from molds you have in stock on your website but probably won't participate in any more group buys unless there's some way to reduce the wait times.

As I previously hinted, I went ahead and bailed on the 45 gb this morning. I've been in it over a year and others are approaching 2 years on 4/21. I'm sure it will be a fine mold for the folks that are willing to keep waiting it out.

Boolit Buddy
    My 2 cents for what its worth, group buys are great for the more established casters we already have most molds we actually need.
    We can wait for a mold we want because we really don't NEED it.
    If I was new to this I would pick up a Lee mold or a used one in the swap section at a good price, start casting while waiting on a group buy mold, you can always sell them later.
    I love my MiHec, NOE, and Accurate molds, I believe they would rather turn out a great product or none at all. They take pride in their work, so I am willing to wait for a mold my machinest friends look at and say wow what a mold!
    Dan

Boolit Master
    We are still up and running. Running normally.
    Problem why thinks are slow...... Look at the group buys....they are no more group buys - they are more wish lists.

Group buy means 25 SAME molds. Lately In one group buy I came out with 16 different setups. That's why thinks slow down.

Think this as McDonalds and fancy superduper restaurant.... In McDonalds they have 5 menus ready to go. Pay and go.
    In fancy restaurant you wait for an hour, because you want your stake medium rare, not so spicy, done on olive oil.......you get the point?

Trying my best here.
    MiHec--I sent you an e-mail about a mould problem about a week ago, and still have not rec'd a reply. I tried the message system on your website and it did not work for me.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I was never part of the Lee group buys but sure remember all the complaining that went on. Not only did they take years, the molds were out of spec when they arrived. This is not the case w/ the current mold makers.

It seems some people don’t understand low volume custom parts. The mold makers are paying for everything out of pocket before they ship. Pretty sure they don’t want that amount of money tied up for years.

If you sign up for a group buy assume you’re not going to get it for a long time. Put the money aside and patiently wait. If you need a mold quickly Mihec and NOE have molds in stock. If they don’t have what you want Tom at Accurate will make you one in short order. Be happy that there are lots of high quality options at the moment. It wasn’t always this way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    MiHec--I sent you an e-mail about a mould problem about a week ago, and still have not rec'd a reply. I tried the message system on your website and it did not work for me.
    If you click on the red MiHec name in any of his posts it will bring up a menu to allow you to Private Message him direct.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    I've got my name in on a MiHec group buy right now, knowing I can't get the same design anywhere else. Sure, I could send a design to Accurate, get it drawn up and cut, pay for it there, and then send it to Erik at Hollowpoint and pay for conversion, but I like the product I've gotten in the past from MP Molds. Plus the brass is gorgeous.

I don't mind the wait, in this case. This one's only been running just under a year and recently closed.

Banned
    if its a simply issue of "cant get enough pre orders" double the price of the die and cut the number in half. If the product is as good as claimed, people will be happy to take the extra cost..

IF IT MEANS GETTING PARTS ON TIME.

And in manufacturing, the term is EXPEDITED ORDERS. I am used to seeing a single part get expedited, built by 1 pm on Monday so it can get fedexed out by 3 pm on monday

I gotta say it does sound unusual for a business to tool up and schedule for a custom order and then GIVE A DISCOUNT.

Group buy molds should cost MORE.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master
    I just cast a few hundred bullets from my Mihec 314640 HP mould I got from a group buy about six years ago. It was my first brass mould and is without a doubt as nice as any mould I’ve ever owned or used.

That’s the good news. The dark cloud around the silver lining was that from the time the GB hit its target (of 15 units back then) until delivery was nearly 18 months and the number of moulds ordered in the GB had risen to over five times the target. I blame this on the group buy participants rather than Mihec, since the honcho allowed brass vs aluminum blocks, two vs four cavities, two kinds of hollow points (one of which couldn’t be made!) and plain nose, and of course gas checked vs plain base. If there had been a bulk order of one design (with maybe 2 vs 4 cavs) there would have been one setup with one cherry needed and the whole project would have probably gone a lot faster. Group buys should be defined as mass production of a single design if we expect them to be economical and relatively fast.

Rant over, but thanks to Mihec for one of the nicest moulds I own... next time I’ll order from you from stock.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast